walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Clachnaben in glorious autumn sunshine

Clachnaben in glorious autumn sunshine

Postby ChrisW » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:08 pm

Route description: Clachnaben, Glen Dye

Date walked: 22/09/2011

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 557m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've not walked Clachnaben for quite a while now, MrsW and I walked in the glen a week or so ago and it reminded me. I love this little hill in the right conditions and to be honest it's not a simple wander....there's some effort involved in the ascent.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This route can be stretched to a nice 10 miles by starting from the bridge of dye via the Cairn of Finglenny and making a nice circular route back to there after taking in Clachnaben click here for a gpx route -
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10116

For those unaccustomed to this place it would be easy to drive right past the 'quarry' car park in the forest about 1km north of the bridge of dye, but once you do find it there is ample parking and good signed information. It was nice to see a little colour change on the leaves as I set off toward the forest path

it's a nice walk through the trees with views just peeking through once in a while and beautiful autumn colours all around

in a very short time the forest opens out and you get your first glimpse of the target sitting high above the glen

once out of the trees the track has seen better days, but it is firm and good going even with a lot of water on it, it remains mud free - there is a sign here about keeping dog's on a lead (for those with dog's)

it is a perfect day as I amble along enjoying the tranquillity of the surroundings

after crossing this small bridge take the right hand fork in the track toward that big rocky lump on the hill

again it is a good firm track even after a prolonged wet spell and the colours of the day keep me smiling

there are 3 small river crossings but each has its own little bridge adding to the ease of the day

at the last of the three bridges the view of the hill is blocked by the small wood ahead

on arrival at the wood there is a small cairn with an information board on top and the choice of routes, the path to the left skirts the woodland and is a more gentle ascent, the path to the right is a steep killer climb followed by a loss of almost all the ascent you just made....sickening, it ultimately joins the other path skirting the wood....I've done both and today I'm 'skirting' :lol:

the woodland provides a pleasant dappled shade and adds to the easy mood of the day

the beautiful colour continues and I'm so glad to be out here today

little colour remains in the heather now but sporadic spots of purple are still visible on occasion

the track this way has had some significant work since I last came this way and is much improved with very little of the previous bog that plagued this route

breaking away from the forest now the pathway twists and turns up toward Clachnaben, sitting centre frame on the path is someone taking a breather which gives scale to the scene (if you can see him)

further work has been done along here with drains dug and a good dry path though it has large lumps of granite randomly dropped along it (maybe to discourage MTB's?) ahead now I see three people on the rise of the hill

after rising fairly gently and turning the corner I stop to look back at Mt Shade, the small wood we skirted around is on the right hand side of the shot

a zoomed shot of the rocks ahead reveal a couple of climbers attacking the face using ropes (bottom of rock L/H side)

2 of the three guys in front stop for a rest and I push past (though I know how they feel, its a tough little pull up this section) looking back from close to the top

it's a bit easier to see the climbers now, well one of them at least

once around the back of the rocks there is a much easier way up

because I'm on a walk up I get up there in time to see the first climber appear

I wonder if he thinks I'm a bit strange running about on the rock he's tied too :shock:

the views from here are great with Mt Battock away in the distance (though I'm told the walk to Mt Battock from here is a boggy mess)

you can even see the sea from here.....if you look real hard

a view of the route back down from the top

I descend and walk around the rocks to meet the same path I ascended on

less of a path here but it is very sheltered round here, great place to stop for a cupp (yes the flask is back out now.....it's cold in them thar hills)

going down is certainly a lot faster than going up

from here there is a faint trail that runs around the other side of the wood ahead

I branch off and take that trail for a change of scenery, with just a glance back to the lump before heading down

the trail starts well but soon becomes very boggy, though given the rain we have had it is still walkable without getting wet feet

as I round the corner of the wood I get a great view back down to the glen below

and......if there's a bench provided at the bottom it would be rude not to make use of it for a quick cuppa... cheers

the view from here is great and I spent quite a while just sitting and watching the sheep go by

once moving again I couldn't resist a few more shots of this idyllic location

its a gentle pull back up to the forest and a last look back at beautiful Clachnaben standing proud above the glen

it's a short steep ascent back to the top of the forest path before a nice long gentle ascent to the car park

This hill doesn't warrant any status in terms of 'lists' but on a day like today it is a fantastic wander and that final pull to the summit is a challenge for anyone (even if we don't want to admit it :lol: ) I think I won't be leaving it so long before the next time, if you find yourself out this way, I recommend you give this little un a go :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Clachnaben in glorious autumn sunshine

Postby kev_russ » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:06 pm

Amazing pics yet again Chris :)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:79
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby star x » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:26 pm

those are fab photies - fantastic colours - is that due to the lovely sunny day you had or a great camera??
star x
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Stretch » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:46 pm

Chris, next time I go walking I'm bringing you along. You seem to have an uncanny ability to produce sunshine and beautiful skies. Great report again.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby ChrisW » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:54 pm

kev_russ wrote:Amazing pics yet again Chris :)

Thanks kev-russ, easy on a day like this though :D
by star x on Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:26 pm
those are fab photies - fantastic colours - is that due to the lovely sunny day you had or a great camera??

Thanks star x - its a combination of both, though you do have to be able to use it properly :wink:

by Stretch on Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:46 pm
Chris, next time I go walking I'm bringing you along. You seem to have an uncanny ability to produce sunshine and beautiful skies. Great report again.

Thanks Stretch, I'm a fair weather wanderer - if I can't get good pics I'm not going......if the clag rolls in I call it off and go fishing.......or as a last resort I do a bit of work :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Gable Gable End » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:24 pm

my local; great hill which fits into any small weather window.

I'm amazed you managed to refrain from grappling with the tor on any of the 100+ (official UKC) climbing routes on it :lol:
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby jimandandrea » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:14 pm

Your Photies are absolutely amazing almost as brilliant as the weather - are you sure your date is correct? We were building an Ark in Torridon yesterday!! It wasn't a big one - just enough for two. Ran out of nails.
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby PeteR » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:22 pm

Excellent pictures again Chris. You have an eye for a cracking picture, that's for sure :D I love the rock formations in some of your shots on the top too. It looks amazing :D

If I was that climber though, I'd have used the path - looks so much easier :lol: :lol: :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby ChrisW » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:08 pm

Gable Gable End wrote:my local; great hill which fits into any small weather window. I'm amazed you managed to refrain from grappling with the tor on any of the 100+ (official UKC) climbing routes on it :lol:

I reckon I must have used one of their routes if there are 100, I scrambled up a few boulders at the back, that must be a route :lol:
by jimandandrea on Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:14 pm

Your Photies are absolutely amazing almost as brilliant as the weather - are you sure your date is correct? We were building an Ark in Torridon yesterday!! It wasn't a big one - just enough for two. Ran out of nails.

Thanks J&A, we had some rain in the morning but it was beautiful by 11:00ish - love the ark comment :lol:

by PeteR on Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:22 pm
Excellent pictures again Chris. You have an eye for a cracking picture, that's for sure I love the rock formations in some of your shots on the top too. It looks amazing If I was that climber though, I'd have used the path - looks so much easier

Thanks Pete, I was just showing my Mrs the pics she said "what's that bloke doing", when I told her she said "but why, you just walked up it" :roll: :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby photocarol » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:15 pm

I'd like to take my 2 cocker spaniels up there? Do i need them on leads the whole way or is the 'dogs on leads' sign just for going through a field or something?
photocarol

Postby Merry-walker » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:42 pm

Nice walk, you got lovely weather for this eh. One to blow away the cobwebs. Must do this soon :)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:03 pm

photocarol wrote:I'd like to take my 2 cocker spaniels up there? Do i need them on leads the whole way or is the 'dogs on leads' sign just for going through a field or something?

From the direction I took it would be most of the way, once you exit the forest and reach the sign there are sheep all the way to the summit, as you exit the first field into the second there is another sign saying dogs on leads :? Those signs aren't always there though as I have done this walk many times and they come and go occasionally.

by Merry-walker on Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:42 pm
Nice walk, you got lovely weather for this eh. One to blow away the cobwebs. Must do this soon

Get yoursel' out there MW :lol: this is a great local for me....as for the weather, you know me by now....if it ain't glowing I ain't going :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland