walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bheinn a'Chochuill to Beinn Eunaich, chasing rainbows

Bheinn a'Chochuill to Beinn Eunaich, chasing rainbows

Postby cheekykarma » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:12 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chochuill, Beinn Eunaich

Date walked: 24/09/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 1189m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Saturday 24th September 2011

The weather was looking promising and it looked like a good day was in store. Myself and two amigos made three. I allowed myself optimism at the start and decided not to wear the waterproof trousers from the start, just the gaiters would do.

The route is as straightforward as described in many guides. Head up the land rover track and take on Beinn a' Chochuill first then across the ridge to Beinn Eunaich, then head for the end of Stob Maol but take a steep descent back down to the path before the outcrop of Stob Maol.

A nice circular route and a very nice straightforward route.

IMG_2558.JPG
Cloud just a bit low at the morning start

Now after you turn off the A85 you are on the B8077 the parking areas are just at the bridge 136 288 on the OS 1:50

Sparse they are. About space at the bridge for maybe three vehicles, four a bit tight, before your annoying whoever owns the gate to the field next to it. Turning back and heading out to the A85 dotted along the road are pull in spots enough for one or two cars without being too much annoyance to the use of the road.

So off we set past Castle Farm and away from the pylons, one of which was half painted. I am told this helps or tries to blend them in. Make them less obtrusive.

IMG_2595.JPG
Anything is worth a try to hide them

Following the land rover track on the way I attempted to catch a rainbow.

IMG_2561.JPG
Looking up Allt Mhoille trying to catch the fading rainbow

You gain a fair bit of height from the land rover track and its an easy walk in. Open farmland so be prepared to say a hello to sheep and some bullocks and cows too.

As the land rover track turns right, we followed it for just a few hundred metres maybe and stopped for a snack. After this it was time for the steep work of the day so far. Steep grassy slopes to lead up to the ridge that would then lead westward to the Beinn a' Chochuill summit.

I took some boiled eggs in my little snack box with me this time and they are a great snack on the hills. I recommend them.

IMG_2562.JPG
Snack time and view to Kileburn Castle

IMG_2565.JPG
Time for work now - two amigos ahead onto the steep slope

The grassy slope is a long push up. Again that classic thing a munro does is as you gain height the top stretches further away it would seem. Making you look at the ground head down and plough forward step by step hoping to look up and see a top.

Stopping in between though did present some nice views. The cloud was sitting low on Stob Diamh and toward Ben Cruchan. We were hoping for the summit before that cloud came over to us. The wind was indeed catching up and getting quite blowy.

IMG_2571.JPG
Gaining height and lookin back to Kileburn

IMG_2573.JPG
Hoping the clouds just stay where they are

It is a good steep ascent. Straightforward no scrambling really but just head down and get on with it straight up.
This next pic shows my most regular position of being on catch up and lagging behind. Also though in this pic the top you see is not a top. It is just near the top. And that top is only the top of the ridge. Once there you turn left and head for the true top. Making you think where the *%$* is the top!!!

They never make an easy munro.

IMG_2574.JPG
Catching up on the slope up

You do encounter a path after the initial grassy slope push up. The path leads you quite well to the ridge and all the way to the summit.

And finally in very windy conditions the gratuitous summit photo. Glen Kinglass behind and a nice view down that glen indeed.

IMG_2575.JPG
A lucky number 13 for me, great views, we beat that cloud.

Did not hang about on the summit as the wind was getting quite harsh. It was fine walking but stopping meant the heat was leaving you quick and I was thinking about my fleece top inside my rucksack.

So it was a few photos and a push on toward Beinn Eunaich. Again I was chasing rainbows.

IMG_2580.JPG
Looking across Meall Vorlich to Glen Kinglass, a great view

From here it is a nice path to follow. Clearly marked and trodden out. The path takes you quite a long way down to go a fair bit back up again. They do not make them too easy ever. You will encounter some scree sections and the path loses itself in places as you near the top. The scree is patchy and not really too difficult and a very mini scramble where the hands are on the rock and your clambering a little.

IMG_2581.JPG
Next target in sight, the path to Beinn Eunaich

A quick summit again as the cloud we missed earlier was catching up and misting in. We headed back off and down toward Stob Maol. A bit of a contrast this hill. A steep climb on one side, with a little scree followed by a long gradual grassy descent.

IMG_2582.JPG
Number 14 how do you do Beinn Eunaich

IMG_2583.JPG
Loch Etive from Beinn Eunaich as the cloud mists in

IMG_2585.JPG
two amigos - walkers in the mist

IMG_2588.JPG
Looking back to Beinn Euanaich

IMG_2591.JPG
Nice view down to Loch Awe and Kileburn from the slopes of Beinn Eunaich

Now the way back down is long and gradual but if you go too far you will go off the edge of Stob Maol. Yes you could go all this way or even cut down by the waterfall but I think you would encounter outcrop and very steep slopes.

13286 30947 for an OS:50 ref point is where you want to drop down. You will catch a descent path. Visually as you walk over Stob Maol it is where there is a huge distinct cut in the peat line.

It is steep and easier on long legged fellows in some parts. But does take you down back to the land rover track very quick.

If you wish you could reverse this route and ascent Beinn Eunaich first but you will encounter then 2 steep descents, the first off eunaich to the ridge across to Beinn a' Chochuill the next off Chochuill itself.

The cairn at 13015 30669 is the marker point for the path that leads off Stob Maol to the land rover track - if you wish to ascent this way - that is your marker.

IMG_2592.JPG
Marker cairn on the land rover track coming off Stob Maol

IMG_2593.JPG
Looking back to where we have been, Beinn a' Chochuill

Overall another great day, a great walk. I would really put these down as a pair of great easy ish peaks for people not looking for serious scrambles and scary drops. It is overall a straightforward round trip. As always in worse weather and even snow then things would be very different. A great day out and a great pair of peaks to take in.

We made good time this day mostly thanks to the wind keeping us from lingering too long.

The days are drawing shorter. The weather is drawing in. Now the odds are changing it is a gamble more into winter how easy or how wise access to these hills will be as winter comes in.

But so far these are a fine two hills to end the summer with and for me it has been a good summer with some great views along the way.

Last is a little video coming off Beinn Eunaich as the cloud just skips the tops pushed across quick and fast with the winds.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQdGLpf7cuI[/youtube]
cheekykarma
Mountaineer

Munros:44   Corbetts:17
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:9   

Re: Bheinn a'Chochuill to Beinn Eunaich, chasing rainbows

Postby skuk007 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:44 am

Nice report and pics. They do look pretty straightforward these two. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:55 am

Great report CK, your description of the initial ascent had me laughing - I have felt exactly the same on occasion :lol: The video sounds like hurricane whatthehell is blowing, is that just the 'wind on mic' effect or was it so windy?

Great stuff anyway and some cracking pics too :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby cheekykarma » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:04 pm

The wind on the mic is always harsh on the little compact - but it was very windy on the tops we did not linger.
cheekykarma
Mountaineer

Munros:44   Corbetts:17
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:9   

Postby soulminer » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:19 am

Enjoyable read there :) Have wanted to reclimb these two for ages, but things are conspiring against me at the moment :lol: Probably go back in winter, enjoyed them wearing crampons for the first time 8)
Cheers.
soulminer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland