walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairnwell Three

Cairnwell Three

Postby gary » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:15 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 14/08/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We chose these munros as we are all beginners,well it was only going to be me and my mums 2nd,3rd and fourth, and my fiance Carolyns' first.We set of at 8.30 a.m and arrived at the car park at Glen Shee ski centre at about 9.45 a.m. It must have been about 10.15 a.m by the time we set though.After a short debate we decided to for the route on WH. I think my mum was slightly concerned by this as everyone else seemed to be heading up the Cairnwell first.
However we headed up past the back of the centre and it was a decent enough track but pretty steep from the start and it just got worse as we headed up. After about 20 mins. of quite steep ascent my mum and Carolyn were struggling but we managed to get to the top without stopping although i think we took a detour around the top of the hill before arriving at the summit.
DSCF0422.JPG
Me and Carolyn at summit,my second and her first munro
DSCF0425.JPG
Me and my mum at summit
DSCF0427.JPG
The best view from Carn Aosda is the opposite side from the ski centre I think

After a short stop at the summit,we headed for Carn a'Gheoidh,I think Carolyn was getting a bit fed up,cold and hungry but at least the rain stayed off,after a bit of encouragement we reached the summit and we could have lunch,just as i took our rolls out of the box,the rain came,it was only a shower though .After lunch we took a few photos and began to head for the third and final munro of the day.
DSCF0431.JPG
Carolyn and my mum on Carn a'Gheoidh
DSCF0433.JPG
Carn Aosda from Carn a'Gheoidh
DSCF0434.JPG
The Cairnwell from Carn a'Gheoidh
DSCF0437.JPG
View from Carn a'Gheoidh

Carolyn was really feeling tired now,think my mum was too but never said to much,Carolyn took a bit of persussion to go to the summit once we got to the final steep ascent at the Cairnwell,she did it however and it was quite steep near the top.She is glad now and although it was hard at the time it was worth it.
DSCF0443.JPG
me and Carolyn at final summit
DSCF0447.JPG
Carolyn and my mum at summit of Cairnwell

After that we headed down the path a short bit then headed down the hill.It was quite steep and Carolyn slipped on her bum a few times :lol: ,she had one of the dogs on lead and was quite happy to be pulled down until she realised her backside was soaking. We headed in a diagonal line towards the ski centre and then across the road to car park,all quite tired but satisfied none the less at bagging a few munros
gary
Mountain Walker

Munros:270   Corbetts:9

Re: Cairnwell Three

Postby ChrisW » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:21 am

Great effort to all three of you, I did the same route as you but took the direct ascent up Carn Aosda (under the ski lift) hope you made it into the cafe as a reward once you got back down :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby gedme » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:40 am

Great report well done to you all. Did same not long ago really enjoyed walk. Well done.
gedme
Munro compleatist

Munros:32   Corbetts:3

Postby monty » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:27 am

Good effort Gary,
Its good to get out in the hills and the weather wasn't to bad for you all on this walk. Lovely photos too :D
monty

Postby skuk007 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:13 pm

Nice one Gary, well done for getting yourselves around all three. If the weather had been any worse your skills of persuasion would have been tested a bit more. :lol:
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby rocket-ron » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:49 pm

well done gary
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:94
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby gary » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:02 pm

Thank you for comments,I will be honest if the weather was worse think Carolyn would just have done two munros as we speak.We were lucky with weather I think,I could live with it being like that everytime I went out,am afraid we did not get into cafe as we had four dogs with us however our sunday tea was made for us by my dad
gary
Mountain Walker

Munros:270   Corbetts:9

Postby mrssanta » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:21 pm

Good for Dad doing the cooking and letting the girls get out on the hills
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland