walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Our first munro

Our first munro

Postby gary » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:16 pm

Route description: Mayar and Driesh, Glen Clova

Munros included on this walk: Mayar

Date walked: 02/08/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first attempt at a munro,chose Mayar and Driesh as they are closest and managed to talk my mum into coming with me as i was not keen on going on my own and she had always she would like to do it.We both had a week of our holidays left after she returned from Turkey at beginning of August so planned a walk for that week and weather forecast was not great but Tuesday was meant to be best so decided to go for it then.It was quite heavy rain in morning as we set off but was forecast to brighten up as the day went on.
It was still raining quite heavily when we arrived at the car park in Glen Doll but it was meant to turn to showers then fizzle out altogether so we carried on regardless.
There was a small break in clouds by the time we reached Corrie Fee but by the time we reached the waterfall it was back on heavier than ever,I had been to Corrie Fee a few times for a walk but thats as far as I had ventured and thought to myself that it would be a wasted journey to turn back at this point and i could not get any wetter than i was now so we kept going even though the realisation that the rain was on for the day had well and truly sunk in.Was pleasantly surprised at how good the path is up from the waterfall and height is gained quickly giving a lovely view back towards the corrie which due to the weather is about the only decent photos we have for the day.
DSCF0403.JPG
Corrie Fee
DSCF0405.JPG
from a bit further back/up

My mum found the climb quite difficult up the steps past the waterfall and it was a bit slippy at times. We made it up though and from there it was just a case of heading uphill and as visibility was poor we could not see the summit and kept thinking it must be just up a little further.We saw the occasional sheep but that was about it.We reached the summit cairn after what felt like ages and could see very little from there which was expected by this point but dissappionting none the less.
Took our photos at the summit for no other reason than it was our first munros,
DSCF0408.JPG
My mum,her first munro bagged

After a cup of tea and rest we decided to give driesh a miss under the circumstances as it would give us a reason to come back to Mayar when the weather is better.We decided to head for the Kilbo path for our descent as my mum was not keen on heading down through corrie fee in the rain as it was a bit slippy at the steps and sometimes steep.We headed for the path and from there it was straightforward enough.
I was starting to get a bit sore myself now,think coming down was harder than going up!
Arrived back at the car,still pouring down,we were soaked to the skin but still kind of enjoyed it even though it never turned out how we planned
Attachments
DSCF0411.JPG
Me,my first munro,quite pleased with myself
DSCF0407.JPG
The waterfall up Corrie Fee
gary
Mountain Walker

Munros:270   Corbetts:9

Re: Our first munro

Postby Chrisabelle » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:57 am

Congratulations to you and especially to your mum for your first Munro. I can empathise as I have only recently bagged my first Munro, albeit "only" Ben Lomond (up Ptarmigan ridge) and you mum is probably nearer my age than you. Excilerating isn't it!
Chrisabelle
Bird-watcher

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:14 am

10 out of 10 for effort Gary, to you and your mum - a lot of people would have called it off and waited for better weather. I love this walk and the views from the top, keep it on your list until that better weather comes (maybe this week) - it's worth it :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby monty » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:32 am

Excellent effort Gary,
I dont think many first time munroists would have persevered in the conditions so top marks. Its a great Glen so go back on the sunshine when you do Dreish. :D
monty

Postby lenster » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:13 pm

Well done Gary. Congratulations on your first munro. Have you got the bug to get to the top of some more now?
lenster
Rambler

Munros:149   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:15   Islands:15

Postby gary » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:03 pm

lenster wrote:Well done Gary. Congratulations on your first munro. Have you got the bug to get to the top of some more now?

Thanks Lenster,got the bug alright,done another ten since this,just a bit slow at writing reports up,think they take me longer than the actuall walk.
monty wrote:Excellent effort Gary,
I dont think many first time munroists would have persevered in the conditions so top marks. Its a great Glen so go back on the sunshine when you do Dreish. :D

thanks Monty,I do like clova/doll. definitely keeping Driesh and Mayar again for a sunny day,although they seem to be few are far between lately and trying to fit it in when there are so much others I want to try,not enough days in a weekend for me
ChrisW wrote:10 out of 10 for effort Gary, to you and your mum - a lot of people would have called it off and waited for better weather. I love this walk and the views from the top, keep it on your list until that better weather comes (maybe this week) - it's worth it :D

Thanks ChrisW,it is a cracking walk,am unfortunate work commitments look like I won't have a day off again until next weekend so just hope its good enough then
Chrisabelle wrote:Congratulations to you and especially to your mum for your first Munro. I can empathise as I have only recently bagged my first Munro, albeit "only" Ben Lomond (up Ptarmigan ridge) and you mum is probably nearer my age than you. Excilerating isn't it!

Thanks Chrisabelle,we both enjoyed it and congrats to you to,would like to try Ben Lomond but its a long drive from Forfar so will have to leave it til next summer i think
gary
Mountain Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:41 pm

Well done Gary!

Cracking photos too!! :lol:

Looking forward to more of your reports :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Merry-walker » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:22 pm

Cool report and pictures. Two of the nicest hills alongside the beautiful Corrie Fee :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby taylor94 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:15 pm

Well done im doing my first munro this weekend
taylor94

Postby gary » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:30 pm

taylor94 wrote:Well done im doing my first munro this weekend

thats good,where you heading for?
gary
Mountain Walker

Postby gary » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:34 pm

Merry-walker wrote:Cool report and pictures. Two of the nicest hills alongside the beautiful Corrie Fee :D

thanks merry-walker I have had a soft spot for Glen Doll since I went camping there when I was 15,pity the campsite has never reopened,I loved it.
gary
Mountain Walker

Postby gary » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:37 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Well done Gary!

Cracking photos too!! :lol:

Looking forward to more of your reports :D

Thanks PollyH. this was nearly two months after the walk I put the report up,kept meaning to do it just never seemed to get round to,they take me ages!
gary
Mountain Walker

Postby taylor94 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:27 am

Well im doing two mountains over two days so will be doing my first corbett to heading to Mount Battock and Mount Keen.
taylor94

Postby gary » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:15 pm

taylor94 wrote:Well im doing two mountains over two days so will be doing my first corbett to heading to Mount Battock and Mount Keen.

Well good luck to you,am sure you will love it,thought about Mount Keen myself a few times.Unfortunately am working all weekend so wont manage out at all anywhere,looks like the weather is going to be good
gary
Mountain Walker

Postby taylor94 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:11 pm

Thanks. I hope the weather is good been beautiful all week here, been totaly baking lol

If you are ever doing mountains near ballater are give me a shout might tag along if you like.
taylor94

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland