walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bynack More

Bynack More

Postby late starter » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:02 am

Munros included on this walk: Bynack More

Date walked: 24/09/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We had overslept which was annoying. However, as it looked a great day and after checking the weather forecast of the day we decided we would still go for our planned walk for the day by taking our bikes so we would make sure we were back before it was dark. Great idea! Started off at Glenmore Lodge with the bikes, passed Lochan Uaine (Green Loch) - wow was this amazing.
DSCF3106.JPG
At Lochan Uaine (Green Loch) not far from the start at Glenmore Lodge on the bike
We cycled quite a good way in which was a godsend at the end. I think this report will be more pictorial as we took many many pics en route. I must say a HUGE thank you to the guys who are working so hard upgrading the paths.
DSCF3142.JPG
workmen hard at work to benefit us all

We were blessed with great weather and a must for all those who go to this fabulous mountain is you MUST MUST MUST go to the Barns of Bynack - AMAZING. My hubby who did a geology degree was in his element and I (yawn yawn yawn) listened to all his lessons of day - however, I DID find them astonishing!
I was getting excited when we were approaching the summit ..... only to find this was NOT the summit, nor was the next, or the next!! Please, please take the effort to go further than the summit to the Barns of Bynack as you WONT be disappointed. Here are a 'few' of the pics of the day. This was only my 5th Munro so I am still very naive and not into all the jargon as yet. I just LOVE the adventure.
IMAG0027.jpg
Ryvoan Bothy in background
DSCF3115.JPG
Lovely stream en route
24092011750.JPG
Views en route - stunning
DSCF3168.JPG
24092011760.JPG
great paths
24092011783.JPG
24092011781.JPG
Arty shot
DSCF3158.JPG
lovely clear skies
24092011822.JPG
awesome
24092011818.JPG
Sgorr Gaoith in backgroud?
24092011829.JPG
Me at the Summit of only my 5th Munro Happy Happy Happy!
It is well worth carrying on from the Summit to the Little Barns of Bynack - amazing - really not to be missed.
24092011831.JPG
Little Barns of Bynack - truly amazing
, if you carry on to your left which is not in view from the Summit is Barns of Bynack which is out of this world - not to be missed
DSCF5262.JPG
Approaching Barns of Bynack
24092011839.JPG
Barns of Bynack
24092011841.JPG
lovely rainbow
. We were at the Barns of Bynack for longer than we expected as we found them fascinating , the result was the sun was beginning to go down - we did get down before it got dark with the thanks of our faithful old bikes.
24092011845.JPG
Love this
Lesson of the day is to set our alarms!!
Attachments
24092011796.JPG
Beautiful
late starter
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   

Re: Bynack More

Postby skuk007 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:23 pm

Nice report, I guess with that username oversleeping is inevitable :lol:

I've seen lots of reports from others saying the granite "Barns" are a must so I will definately be including these when I get around to this one. Did you take the opportunity to practice your scrambling moves for future Munros? :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby late starter » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:32 pm

skuk007 wrote:Nice report, I guess with that username oversleeping is inevitable :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: that is very clever - never thought of username with that comment! :) made it up as I am a more mature person and being a 'late starter' for doing Munros :)
I've seen lots of reports from others saying the granite "Barns" are a must so I will definately be including these when I get around to this one. Did you take the opportunity to practice your scrambling moves for future Munros? :)

Yip, you really must go that bit further to the Barns - they really are fascinating - my hubby was in his element. I have been looking for an easy one for this weekend as weather meant to be quite good - off on a cruise next week so be good to get another one before hand - am I saying that confidently?? Mmmm - not confident! I am pleased I have done 5 since April though.
late starter
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisW » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:26 pm

Great effort late starter and some beautiful pics to share too - if there's a lesson in this story it has to be ......stay in bed a bit longer and take your bike :wink: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby late starter » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:51 pm

:lol: Ha ha Chris re bike - I know its cheating a bit but we did more walking than cycling (I think :) ) No way I would be able to cycle it or push the bike up, was enough just getting myself up! :D I was in heaven - thanks for your comments re pics.
late starter
Mountaineer

Postby Graeme D » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:47 am

Nice one. As you say, the Barns are a bit special! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland