walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cruach Ardrain

Cruach Ardrain

Postby tomyboy73 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:29 pm

Route description: Cruach Àrdrain and Beinn Tulaichean

Date walked: 25/09/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1082m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

sunday 25/9/11.
11.15 am.very wet & windy with cloud covered tops. on my own. shorts, jacket and hat.note.no gaiters. made it to the west top which is 1045m . east top is 1046m and five minutes away ? remember always check map no matter how wild it is !
073.JPG
start of walk. grey height

parked on a82.ignored comedy stile which tempts you into boggy field. climbed gate onto track. walked around bogfest. headed through sheepcreep .along path to other path on left towards river just before open gate. down the path and across the rickety bridge. the river is flowing along nicely with a Y shape falls just up a bit.
074.JPG
river falloch

don`t think that bridge will last much longer. it`s rotten and holey. cows on the hill made me veer to the right of the path through the longer wet grass. full gaiters and shorts combo now in action. followed cow/sheep tracks through the grass up the hill. headed back towards forest to base of grey height. ladder over deer fence above the forest. i`ll use that on the way back. turned right onto path up grey heights. wind quite strong and clouds are just clearing above me. but in front of me . white. told myself it`ll clear. i didn`t believe me. headed on anyway. felt like i was walking into a giant candyfloss wind machine. bumped into a group of older walkers. they looked pleased to see me. they asked which way to crianlarich. i turned. i pointed. i walked on. headed up meall dhamh. sheltered in a crevace looking down onto coire ardrain. the allt carved a snow white ribbon through the glen. in this narrow shelter it was silent. no wind.no sound.i drank tea. roast beef and smoked cheese sandwiches. kendal mintcake. mmm. fooled by sweet sugar the wind was gone. i`m easily duped. funny, no matter how much further i walked on i could always see behind me but not in front of me. until i crossed over meall dhamh, down onto the bealach. white all around. shadows of rock. i paused behind one. stepping out.stepping back. feeling the huge difference in the power of the wind. i thought about it. i waited. i went for it. as long as i wasn`t on any exposed ridges i could be blown off of i would carry on. my shorts were soaked through. but my jacket kept me warm and dry. i was fine. it wasn`t long before this battle with the elements left me confused. had i missed a path up onto ardrain and was heading towards tulaichean ? hmm. i didn`t check the map. i didn`t know exactly were i was. i saw some cloud pouring up over an edge up ahead on my right. it wasn`t cloud. it was water. a small waterfall was blowing up over the edge. time to go home. i turned to head back. within minutes i spotted a small cairn. a path. i headed up. still the wind and rain battered me. i knew now i was near the top. up over a few false summits. a seal shaped rock. beyond that a medium sized cairn. i sat behind this.2.05pm
DSC00933.JPG
me

when i read up on this hill i didn`t look into the summit. i just skimmed over walk reports half watching MOTD. i waited for the cloud to clear. to no avail. i struggled with my gloves as i fished out my phone from my sodden rucksack. so much for the raincover. i tried to get a gps reading which i was then going to check on my map. it wouldn`t locate. switched on the tracker instead and dumped it in my sack. leaving the map also.i got up.i headed back down. i`d had enough. nearly at the bealach. i see a crowd standing around in the rain. young walkers this time. they looked shocked to see me. i asked where they`d been. cruach ardrain. doubt creeped into my mind. where had i been ? it was too wild to chat. i walked on quickly. gathering pace into a run. back up over meall dhamh. i was beaten by the weather. but i didn`t mind. i knew i would be back on a better day. all the way down to the deer fence. towards the forest. i walked down along the fence. on the "wrong" side. eventually i clambered over with the finesse of a high-heeled hooker, high on crack, walking the cobbled streets of old london town. i digress. in the fire break,two dear. one sniff of me and they`re off. into the trees. i followed the path down. under the trees. huge mushrooms. fly agaric.
DSC00934.JPG
mushroom

huge red toadstools. they look beautiful. deadly. i walk on. the river falloch is now jawdropping. furious rapids. the little waterfall is now gone.
DSC00937.JPG
rapids

its just white power moving at a furious pace under the bridge. hopefully it won`t go just yet. back up the path. to the car. steamy windows. i poured the water out of my boots. wrang out my clothes.home. gps loaded up. no. i was so close. next time anyone reads that i haven`t used my map, lynch me.
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1302584
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Re: Cruach Ardrain

Postby tomyboy73 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:33 pm

tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:01 am

Oh Tommy,

What a driech day :(

Was it not your tears that caused the river to nearly burst its banks???

Thanks for your honesty and lessons on 'what not to do on a hill' !!!

At least you have the image of the high-heeled hooker to keep you warm :lol:

XX
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:55 am

Resilience is a strength bordering on insanity :lol: great effort tomyboy in some horrible conditions, that 3rd picture really captures it well :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby lomondwalkers » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:36 pm

Oooft what a stinker of a day!!! Great effort in those conditions!
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby rambler » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:11 pm

I like your 'tell it like it is' style :D pity your day didn't turn out better.
rambler
Hill Bagger

Postby tomyboy73 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:12 pm

thanks all.
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby tomyboy73 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:14 pm

rambler wrote:I like your 'tell it like it is' style :D pity your day didn't turn out better.

cheers rambler, it was just the mood i was in at the time :lol:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland