walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meikle Bin and the long way round

Meikle Bin and the long way round

Postby skidmerc » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:49 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meikle Bin

Date walked: 26/09/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having lived in Glasgow all my life and having known of Meikle Bin since I was in primary school I don't know why it took me so long to get my act together and climb it.
This morning, being a public holiday, I woke up about 8.30am and noticed the sun coming in the window.
Today was the day.
I pulled out an old Ordnance Survey Pathfinder 392 I got when I was about 10 in the early nineties when I was a wee guy obsessed with fishing, maps, and anything outdoors-related. It covers the Carron Valley Reservoir and part of the Campsies/Kilsyth Hills.

Drove there in what seemed like no time. Arrived at 9.30. Parked at the Todholes/Randieford Bridge at the small car park and make my way up.
Sun was out, and wasn't too warm. Perfect walking weather. Only after a few minutes the path leads round up to the dam wall. I walked out onto it to get a few photos. It wasn't until about 15 minutes along the path I saw Meikle Bin. It struck me as being bigger than I thought.

The walk there was easy going. As I was walking up the long straight section of path that climbs up to the foot of Little Bin I could see dark dark clouds coming over from the west. In no time at all the rain was on.

I nipped off the path and took a seat on a small patch of grass well-sheltered by some conifers. The rain wasn't heavy and soon passed. I carried on my way pleased that I had remained dry - I didn't bring my "proper" walking jacket!
I almost walked passed the small turnoff to the left around NS 662 828. The path here was very very muddy. Ankle deep. Luckily it didn't last long (only around 50 meters through the trees) and I emerged onto the hillside.

The walk up to the summit was a bit steeper than I thought. I hadn't done any serious walking since the West Highland Way in April, and I could feel it!
Arrived at the summit for about 10.45/11am.
Sat around for a while taking photos and catching my breath. It was a really clear day to the north-east, and north-west. Cloud was coming from the south-west though, so views over the city were limited. In the distance I could just make out the two massive transmitters at Blackhill.

Decided at this point, instead of plodding down the route I had come and be home for half 12ish, I'd make a day of it.
I decided to press on down the southeast side of Meikle Bin towards the start of the road at NS 673 815.
The route down the hill was steep, and wet. It's quite obvious no-one had really been down this route very often. Some of the grass was flattened, so something had been down, but not with any frequency!
Before I could reach the road, I knew I was have to press through some dense forestry. I set up a waypoint on my phone (GPS) so I could navigate with that and my map. I knew I wouldn't be able to see much in the trees.
Felt like I was in those trees for days. At one point I hit a fairly substantial burn. From the map I knew I i followed it down I would hit the road, and sure enough it did.
From there, an easy but fairly long walk out was ahead.

On the way out I climbed down next to Peggie's Spout (Waterfall) (NS 679 821) to get a few photos.

Also at one point got a great view of a bird-of-prey circling right above me, and low. Not sure what it was.

Followed the network of paths (map definitely required!) down to the lochside, and round back to the start.

Great day, would recommend the route - but there's possibly a better way through those trees south-east of the hill than I took!
skidmerc
Munro compleatist

Munros:44   Corbetts:1

Re: Meikle Bin and the long way round

Postby kevsbald » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:03 pm

I walked down as far as the trees last week and about turned once I saw the bog! Nice wee hill isn't it? See the plane wreckage?
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:267   Corbetts:125
Grahams:79   Donalds:52
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:15   

Postby skidmerc » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:37 pm

I didn't no, but was aware of it. Where abouts is the wreck?

The bog wasn't too bad, the nice walk along the road back to the start made it worthwhile!
skidmerc
Munro compleatist

Munros:44   Corbetts:1

Postby star x » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:32 pm

we didnt see the wreckage until we were on the way back down - just over to the left.

it was a braw day :D
star x
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Grahams:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby spiderman » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:31 pm

Nice pics. The bird of prey looks like a Buzzard
spiderman
Rambler

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland