walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gannoch - Forest of Birse (Grampians)

Gannoch - Forest of Birse (Grampians)

Postby ChrisW » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:35 pm

Date walked: 26/09/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 626m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Looking at the maps for a local wander I 'discovered' the 'Forest of Birse' lurking relatively close to home and decided to give it a look

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parking is at the end of a narrow country road at NO 532 906, on arrival it opens out leaving parking for 3 or 4 cars.

I started out toward a randomly selected hill that would provide a circular route for the day

there is a sign stating no entry/private etc and directing you off the road clearly shown on the OS map and down past a small farm

on passing the farm I see the target hill ahead but there are a few loops to turn first

now I see the reason for the diversion and 'private' signs, Birse Castle has been restored and clearly they don't want us vagabonds strolling past their door :lol:

as I pass through a gate I see the route signed and this beautiful autumnal scene, at first glance it may look like a paddle but there is a small footbridge in the trees on the right

its then a pleasant stroll amongst the sheep

the signs then divert me north around the perimeter fence keeping well away from the castle

I see the track I'm looking to get back to in the distance and take a short cut through the heather to reach it

I am soon climbing up and out of the glen

ahead the path splits and the map tells me that the right hand track ends at the summit while the left hand track extends to reach the firmonth road that links Glen Taner with Glen Esk

there is a little ascent before the split and the views begin to open up

crossing to the left hand track means losing the ascent just made as you cross the 'Burn of Auldmad'

once across there is a sign warning landrovers to select very low gear and 4 wheel drive as the true ascent begins

it is quite a steep pull up here and I am glad its a beautiful day, it gives me a reason to stop and take a few more pics

the summit of Gannoch is a typical rounded, heather clad monster with a small cairn in keeping with its stature

on a day like today it is a great place to be, today is about the journey rather than a target of any kind and that has somehow made it more enjoyable

once over the summit I join the firmounth road and head south toward the small bump that is 'Tampie'

it is a very boggy section and I was tempted to jump on this and shoot off, no sign of the owner anywhere

its another small cairn on the summit of Tampie and a nice spot to crack open the flask for the first time today

setting off again it is a bit of a bogfest dropping down toward Glen Tennet aiming to meet the Fungle Road that runs from Tarfside to Aboyne

I cut off the boggy route and drop down to the Fungle Road which runs NE back to Birse Castle and is in much better condition than the one I'm leaving

the Fungle Raod narrows for a while into a footpath but it is well maintained and easy going

it is a long slow descent back to the start, tucked in out of the wind it is like summer down here

the route twists and turns as it descends, keeping things interesting for MTB's by the look of the tracks

there are frequent small waterfalls along the way

and even a little late blooming heather and associated bees happily buzzing around, I sat on the rock in this pic having a cuppa and enjoying the day

once under way again I am soon closing in on the castle

back at the sheep field where I turned off initially and headed north

back at the beautiful autumnal ford area with the small footbridge

from here it was a quick wander back along the route previously travelled, a really enjoyable walk in an area I will be returning to soon
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Gannoch - Forest of Birse (Grampians)

Postby monty » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:58 pm

Great photos as usual Chris. You love your sweeping moorlands :D
monty

Postby kev_russ » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:39 pm

Nice yin Chris :)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:47 pm

monty wrote:Great photos as usual Chris. You love your sweeping moorlands :D

Thanks Monty, I really do love these places - good job too as there are few Munros around here and driving 3 hours+ to get to one is not something I want to do too often on these roads :lol:

by kev_russ on Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:39 pm Nice yin Chris
Thanks kev_russ
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby rockhopper » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:17 pm

Great photos as ever chris - don't know how you keep managing it. No matter what I seem to do I can never seem to get such great skies :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby kinley » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:52 pm

CW wrote:and even a little late blooming heather and associated bees happily buzzing around, I sat on the rock in this pic having a cuppa and enjoying the day

8) 8)

Feeling more relaxed just reading that and looking at those :thumbup:
kinley

Postby ndhudson » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:58 pm

Simply beautiful, Chris! You do seem to have a knack for sniffing out the good weather. :D
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby ChrisW » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:58 pm

rockhopper wrote:Great photos as ever chris - don't know how you keep managing it. No matter what I seem to do I can never seem to get such great skies :D
Thanks rockhopper - the answer is ...... I cheat :shock: I have a polariser attached to the lens permanently (keeping the blue nice and blue) and I always expose for the light areas to avoid burnout.

by kinley on Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:52 pm Feeling more relaxed just reading that and looking at those

Thanks kinley, strange little area that was, as if summer just got there - the heather flowering, bees, bugs and even caterpillars it was like a micro climate that was a few weeks behind us :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby ChrisW » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:00 pm

ndhudson wrote:Simply beautiful, Chris! You do seem to have a knack for sniffing out the good weather. :D

Thanks ND - if the sun aint shining, I aint going :lol: well, I'm not that bad but I do tend to work on the miserable days and walk on the good ones :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby rambler » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:07 pm

Looks like a lovely area and the colours are beautiful - you seem to have picked a grand day for this one. :D
rambler
Hill Bagger

Postby ChrisW » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:22 pm

rambler wrote:Looks like a lovely area and the colours are beautiful - you seem to have picked a grand day for this one. :D

Thanks rambler - I tend to wait for the good weather days if possible so I can get some pics - I hate the clag :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby JB likes a beer » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:32 pm

Hi chris ,you really do manage to get good days out. the clag monster must not have met you yet :lol:
JB likes a beer
Mountaineer

Munros:205   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby ChrisW » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:34 pm

JB likes a beer wrote:Hi chris ,you really do manage to get good days out. the clag monster must not have met you yet :lol:

The clag monster is permanently employed following Gammy Leg Walker everywhere he goes :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:35 pm

A ChrisW report can only mean two things.....cracking photos and blue skies!!!! :lol:

How do you do it???? I'm going to start following you :shock:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Del246 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:54 pm

Thats great weather you had !! Good pics aswell.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland