walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carnferg - Back into Birse

Carnferg - Back into Birse

Postby ChrisW » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:58 pm

Date walked: 28/09/2011

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 530m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Back to the forest of Birse for me today, I really enjoyed it earlier this week so I found a new route and enjoyed the excellent weather out in the hills again, what could be better.

From the same car park as my Monday excursion at NO 532 906, I set off in an altogether different direction along the grassy track heading North.

Mondays wander could almost be seen in full from this direction and looked beautiful in the sunshine with just a hint of haze

this track is less used and provides more of a remote feel for a short while and bears some nice autumn colour

the track soon joins a more substantial route heading North - East to Glencat

the sandy path and fantastic blue sky looks stunning as I ascend alongside the forest

from the small cairn marking the top of the rise I can see Carnferg away in the distance (far left hill in this shot)

halfway down the hill toward the Glencat I can already make out the track heading up into the trees behind the farm in the glen below

the track actually passes right through the farm yard (yapping dogs a-plenty) and zig zags past the farm house surrounded by a trillion sheep (at least a trillion)

in no time at all I'm looking back at the farm as I ascend the opposite side of the glen

I soon reach the woodland at the top of the rise and get a little relief from the sun for a short time, my target hill is just visible at the left of the trees

after crossing this short clearing the track turns left along a wall and through a gate

I am now walking the spine of the hill still in the trees for a while, there are a few boggy patches as I reach the edge of the woodland

once out of the trees it is a nice gentle ascent along the spine of the hill and I am soon looking back a long way to the woodland I just left

over a small rise and the rather fancy cairn comes into view and I realise it is one I have seen from over in Glen Tanner and wondered about- I guess I'll be finding out very soon

from the top the hills in the distance are bathed in haze and resemble the mountains of North - West Arkansas, really takes me back

the cairn bears a stone inscribed to the memory of a man and his son with the words "from a heartbroken widow" dated 1911 - exactly 100 years ago and still the simplicity of the words hit a chord and leave me wondering what happened to Joseph and his son all those years ago

the cairn and trig can be seen from several glens around and look spectacular in the sunshine (I suspect they would look equally grand in the snow)

after a nice tea break up top and a stretch out in the shelter I head straight over the hill and drop down to meet the Fungle Road that runs from Aboyne to Tarfside, to the right is the path home and a small building on the hill top, to the left of this shot is the hill with the now tiny pyramid atop

the small building just visible on the previous pic that I thought was a bothy turns out to be a 'rich mans bothy' :lol: very nice too.....but locked :roll:

its a fine wander past the bothy and alongside the steep sides of the hills surrounding the burn of auldgarny

soon I can see the end of the forest where the car park is but there is a way to go yet

the sun is cracking through the haze as I take the enforced detour around Birse Castle

there is little by way of a path here but it is only for a short distance, there is some bog to avoid along the way

I soon find myself back at the river crossing I first saw on Monday this week, some of the colour has gone from the trees already

from here it is a quick 1km along the track to the car and the end of another beautiful day in the hills.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Carnferg - Back into Birse

Postby ndhudson » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:15 am

Gorgeous day for a stroll and pictures to do it justice! I see the resemblance to Ozarks that you referred to. My dad grew up in Arkansas. The Ozarks didn't "do it" for him and his wander lust. Too may bugs, too many people, and not enough visibility. Luckily, he ended up stationed in Utah with the army and found his little bit of heaven on earth. ;)

"From a heartbroken widow"...quite touching, and intriguing.
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby ChrisW » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:39 am

Thanks ND, I visited the Ozarks a lot as they were so close....I took all our visitors to Hawksbill Crag (Whittaker Point) - here's a shot of my brother doing his "top of the world" stance :lol: We only found it busy around the Pig Trail but loved it all. :D

ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Alastair S » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:18 am

Why is it that these Indian summer days always occur mid-week? Forecast for the weekend is dire :evil:

Anyway lovely report Chris - I've only been up that way a couple of times and have missed that pyramid cairn. Guess I now have a destination for my next visit :D
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby ndhudson » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:22 pm

ChrisW wrote:Thanks ND, I visited the Ozarks a lot as they were so close....I took all our visitors to Hawksbill Crag (Whittaker Point) - here's a shot of my brother doing his "top of the world" stance :lol: We only found it busy around the Pig Trail but loved it all. :D

The Ozarks have their charm...looks like you and BrotherW found a bit of it...Great pic!!
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby ChrisW » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:38 pm

Alastair S wrote:Why is it that these Indian summer days always occur mid-week? Forecast for the weekend is dire :evil:

Anyway lovely report Chris - I've only been up that way a couple of times and have missed that pyramid cairn. Guess I now have a destination for my next visit :D

Thanks Alastair, only recently found the place myself.....almost seen it all now :lol: think there is one more nice 8-10 mile wander in there to the south of the car park but I've yet to work it out.

The Ozarks have their charm...looks like you and BrotherW found a bit of it...Great pic!!
thanks ND, make the most of where ever you are is my motto :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby orion » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:05 pm

[quote="ChrisW"]Thanks ND, I visited the Ozarks a lot as they were so close....I took all our visitors to Hawksbill Crag (Whittaker Point) - here's a shot of my brother doing his "top of the world" stance :lol: We only found it busy around the Pig Trail but loved it all. :D

I was over in the Ozarks in 2009 and must have passed close by this.Wish I`d known I was so close to such a great photo opportunity then :)
Had a wander around a bit further north near the Pea Ridge battlefield from the Civil War .Pleasant enough area but ND`s dad had the right idea in moving to Utah :D

The birdlife in Arkansas was a bit on the big side compared to Scotland :D
Attachments
vulture.jpg
orion

Postby ChrisW » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:35 pm

I was over in the Ozarks in 2009 and must have passed close by this.Wish I`d known I was so close to such a great photo opportunity then
Had a wander around a bit further north near the Pea Ridge battlefield from the Civil War .Pleasant enough area but ND`s dad had the right idea in moving to Utah

Hey Orion - You were about 80 miles away from Hawksbill Crag when you were at Pea Ridge - Ooooooh so close :lol: I confess to agreeing with all that is said of Utah, it is stunning - but everywhere has something to offer - best to see what you can where you can I reckon :wink:
Mulberry river float anyone ..................... :D
ChrisW
Rambler

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland