walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

I Kissed a Cairn and I Liked It!

I Kissed a Cairn and I Liked It!

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:25 pm

Route description: An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chròin, near Crianlarich

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin

Date walked: 30/09/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1045m

17 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another day off forced upon me by the European Time Directive and I was going to put it to good use. I was going to attempt something I had yet to accomplish... getting to the top of more than one munro on my own. Mishaps, ad hoc group joining and poor weather had prevented this in the past, but not today- I was determined to do this!

The weather forecast looked not too bad for the Crianlarich area, so I decided upon An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chroin. I read lots of reports on this walk and noted that bog trotting, scrambling and freaky rock growths featured heavily- great, I would definitely be looking forward to 2 out of 3 of these :lol:

Parked up the layby and opted for the strange shorts and gaiter combo as previously sported by Tomyboy73. And what a winning choice it turned out to be. The temperature was rising rapidly and it was great not to clothed head to toe in waterproofs for once.

The start of the walk takes you over a stile and into a swamp- bog just wouldn't do it justice. Oh yes 2 minutes after leaving the car I was up to my knees in mud. - great start!

Up onto the path and under the railway bridge.
IMG_1729.JPG
Railway Bridge

And then over the River Falloch via a wooden bridge
IMG_1730.JPG
Wooden bridge

As I looked out for the marker cairn to take me onto the path to start the ascent of Sron Gharbh, I saw this wee fella.
IMG_1732.JPG
Yippee something that moves slower than me!

The path up is not fantastic but its easy enough to follow and the view back down is not too bad.
IMG_1733.JPG
Back down path

Once over Sron Gharbh there are a couple of scrambly bits and then you are faced with a buttress to negotiate. Just follow the path round to the left and its easy enough to get onto the final path to the An Caisteal summit.
IMG_1739.JPG
Number 43!

The wind was beginning to pick up and I ate my sandwiches in record time. I knew it was time to shift when I started to shiver and so it was on with my hat and fleece and packed up my things and headed south towards the path to Bealach Buidhe.
IMG_1742.JPG
Path to bealach

Just as I thought that I would be having the walk all to myself I met two chappies who were doing the two hills but in the reverse order. They reassured me that I would have no problems on Beinn a Chroin and congratulated me on my choice of walking attire. :?
IMG_1743.JPG
Nearly at the bealach

The final descent down to the bealach is pretty rocky, so I resorted to a fair amount of bum-shuffling to get there safely. Please note Mr D not all of us can stay er er ...upright for a hillwalk :shock:
IMG_1744.JPG
Bum shuffle!

After a big boggy section the path improves and within about 20 minutes you face a bit of a scramble. It is really easy as there are plenty of foot and hand holds, with the biggest problem being your walking poles. I lobbed them as far ahead of me as possible and enjoyed getting stuck into the rocks. That's one of the good things about going on your own, you have to manage! No-one to shove your bum up for you or lend a helping hand!

Once you're passed this bit its a very easy walk to the first summit cairn. I was astonished at how easy it was. I was expecting much much worse and lo and behold I did it. I threw off my rucksack and gave the cairn a big kiss, no tongues though :think:
IMG_1749.JPG
Number 44!

My GPS said that I was 942m which meant I was on the true summit but in order to join the descent path you have to walk almost to the other cairn, so I decided to pay that a visit too. (sorry Bod!- you've made us all summit conscious!)

And so I departed a happy walker. The path down is a stinker, not difficult, just endless. But then it gets worse because for the bulk of the return it is over a pathless, knee-deep bog! Truly the worst ever! I was lucky, I was walking in beautiful sunshine with a gentle breeze, anything else would have been hellish!

Anyway I had quite a few things to distract me. Firstly a helicopter, I always have to fight the urge to wave at them in case they think I'm summoning help!
IMG_1751.JPG
Au secours

Secondly , out of nowhere came a runner- he shouted 'nice bog' and carried on at speed!
IMG_1755.JPG

And lastly the much promised rock growths...
IMG_1752.JPG

IMG_1753.JPG

IMG_1757.JPG

And so I was nearly back at the start, but this time instead of crossing the swamp, I turned right after I went under the railway bridge and followed a cracking path that just adds a few minutes to your journey. Wish I did this the first time- eejit :shock:
Last edited by pollyh33 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: I Kissed a Cairn and I Liked It!

Postby rocket-ron » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:35 pm

Well done polly You like your haglofs gear :D
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:103
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby JB likes a beer » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:36 pm

hey polly, your report takes me back when i did these,nice photos well done :D
JB likes a beer
Mountaineer

Munros:205   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:39 pm

rocket-ron wrote:Well done polly You like your haglofs gear :D

Thanks RR.

Yeah I have a wee bit of a thing for Haglofs :D
pollyh33
Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:41 pm

JB likes a beer wrote:hey polly, your report takes me back when i did these,nice photos well done :D

Thanks JB.

How did you get on in the bog?
pollyh33
Walker

Postby rocket-ron » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:43 pm

pollyh33 wrote:

Thanks RR.

You look great in it I quite like haglofs my self :D :D
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Postby Del246 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:48 pm

Well done on your double. I still have these 2 to do, so your report will come in handy. Cheers.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1

Postby Del246 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:50 pm

Ps I see you changed your hill today aswel !! Pss How scrambly were the scrambly bits ???
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby Graeme D » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:52 pm

pollyh33 wrote:The final descent down to the bealach is pretty rocky, so I resorted to a fair amount of bum-shuffling to get there safely. Please note Mr D not all of us can stay er er ...upright for a hillwalk

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pollyh33 wrote:Secondly , out of nowhere came a runner- he shouted 'nice bog' and carried on at speed!

Monty, by any chance????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice report Haglofs woman. You didn't hang about wif the report either. Unlike some of us...... :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:59 pm

Del246 wrote:Ps I see you changed your hill today aswel !! Pss How scrambly were the scrambly bits ???

Thanks Derek,

Not too scrambly at all. I just took my time and used hands, feet and knees.... and I was lucky in that the rocks were dry and not covered in slime!!

If you are going to do these two, don't do it in reverse. That bog walk would drain you if you did it first, I think I would have given up!!!

PS which hills did I say I was going to do today... I can't remember!!!
pollyh33
Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:02 pm

rocket-ron wrote:
pollyh33 wrote:

Thanks RR.

You look great in it I quite like haglofs my self :D :D

Oh we can have a Haglofs face off at Kintail meet! Be warned there are loads you haven't seen yet! Better get started on your Santa list :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:07 pm

Graeme Dewar wrote:
pollyh33 wrote:The final descent down to the bealach is pretty rocky, so I resorted to a fair amount of bum-shuffling to get there safely. Please note Mr D not all of us can stay er er ...upright for a hillwalk

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pollyh33 wrote:Secondly , out of nowhere came a runner- he shouted 'nice bog' and carried on at speed!

Monty, by any chance????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice report Haglofs woman. You didn't hang about wif the report either. Unlike some of us...... :shock:

Can't believe you didn't use that gift Mr D!!! :lol:

Strangely enough I did do a double-take to make sure it wasn't Monty! How fabbie would that have been :shock:
pollyh33
Walker

Postby Del246 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:07 pm

You done well bagging these 2 solo. You said you were going to do Meall Ghaordaidh !! I changed my mind fron Ben Challum due to it being prone to being boggy. My pal convinced me to leave it until winter so he can show me the ropes in using ice axe and crampons.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby thomas » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:11 pm

well done polly aka (wonderwomen) brilliant report great pics matey! :clap:
thomas

Munros:114   Corbetts:2
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Postby rocket-ron » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:22 pm

polly your photo bum shuffle would put a lot of younger girls to shame :D
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

17 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland