walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Finally Jimmy & Mo "Munro" do a Corbett

Finally Jimmy & Mo "Munro" do a Corbett

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:24 pm

Route description: Beinn a'Chrulaiste from Altnafeidh

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a'Chrulaiste

Date walked: 20/09/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Before doing this walk i gave my walking buddy Jimmy "Munro" a call, " hi Jimmy, Kim and i are going walking tomorrow to do a Corbett, fancy coming?" "aye why not" was the answer i got. Once i recovered from the shock i reminded him it was a Corbett and not a Munro we were doing and he replied " thats fine i've done 100 ". So after reaching his target of 100 Munros, he set himself in May, a few days earlier on Buachaille Etive Mor he was more than happy to start his Corbett bagging days. You have to also realise that when Jimmy set his 100 target he and his wife Mo was sitting on 29 Munros, not bad going in 5 months. Well done Jimmy and Mo and here's to the next 100, thats Corbetts not Munros :D . Ok so back to the walk and the Corbett we decided to do was Beinn a' Chrulaiste which was quite fitting as it probably gives the best view of Stob Dearg their 100th Munro. We left from the Kingshouse hotel headed up over the WHW path and followed the very boggy path for 1km before taking to the ridge and up to the summit. It was a pretty straightforward assent even in the wind and rain. We descended by heading towards Stob Beinn a' Chrulaiste, heading south just before reaching it and down the slopes to the WHW way path back to Kings House. Initially we came off to quickly being on the wrong side of the stream and heading into the gorge so we had to re-climb a wee bit to cross the stream before heading down on the other side. Once down it was an easy walk along the path back to Kings House. Today was wet and windy but we all had a great day.
P1010611.JPG
Beinn a' Chrulaiste

P1010612.JPG
Kim with Jimmy & Mo and their 100th behind them

P1010613.JPG
The boggy "path" leading to the ridge

P1010614.JPG
Creise & Meall a Bhuiridh

P1010615.JPG
Rannoch Moor

P1010616.JPG
Creise & Meall a Bhuiridh

P1010618.JPG
Blackwater Reservoir

P1010619.JPG
Stob Dearg

P1010620.JPG
The summit

P1010622.JPG
Glencoe

P1010623.JPG
Glencoe

P1010624.JPG
Stob Dearg

P1010625.JPG
On our way down

P1010626.JPG
Another one of the Buachaille

P1010627.JPG
Towards Glen Etive

P1010628.JPG
Just can't get enough of Stob Dearg

P1010630.JPG
On the WHW back to Kings House
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:21   Corbetts:207
Grahams:162   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:286   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland