walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Unfinished Business

Unfinished Business

by Jock McJock » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:40 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlèibh, Beinn Dubhchraig, Ben Lui, Ben Oss

Date walked: 27/07/2011

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Unfinished Business

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:52 pm

Your report has it all Jock, fantastic stuff!!!

Like many other walkers I have unfinished business up there, still got to walk up Ben Oss :(

Really need to find a way that avoids the bogtrot just after the railway bridge. Is it worthwhile staying on the landrover track and heading straight up Oss from there???
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Jock McJock » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:13 pm

Thanks Polly :D Not sure about alternative routes on this one. Its quite an awkward one to get at. You could go up the way I came down. Stay on the track to Connonish Farm, go over the wee bridge there then go straight up onto the ridge. Its steep and there's little or no path most of the way. It would be a tough old climb up. Other than that you could maybe get to Oss the way that I bailed out after doing Lui, via the Allt Coirie Laoigh up to Creag Dhubh a' Bhealaich. This might be a bit easier on the legs than the steep slope at Connonish farm but again there's little or no path.

The forest is a lovely place to walk through, especially at this time of year. Its just very boggy which makes it hard going sometimes. Really wouldn't want to have to come down through there after a long days walk with tired legs. That's why I got out the other way. Good luck with getting Oss whichever way you choose to get to it :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:25 pm

Thanks Jock,

Yes sometimes its easier to stick to the recognised route!

Cheers and hope your shoulder is behaving :D
pollyh33
Walker

Postby kevsbald » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:11 am

Just popped it back in - the man's a machine I tell you!!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Jock McJock » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:42 am

pollyh33 wrote:Thanks Jock,

One more thing to add Polly is that in the WH report it says once on the bhealach between Dubhcraig and Oss to take the old stalkers path to the left. For me this was not that great a route up Oss as agin it was very boggy etc. For me the way to go would be straight up the return path. This is a wee bit steep in places but much better for walking on and probably quicker. Only took me half an hour from the top of Oss to get back down to the bhealach. Just means going up and back the same way but if you don't mind that its the way I'd go if I did it again.
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:47 pm

Jock McJock wrote:
pollyh33 wrote:Thanks Jock,

One more thing to add Polly is that in the WH report it says once on the bhealach between Dubhcraig and Oss to take the old stalkers path to the left. For me this was not that great a route up Oss as agin it was very boggy etc. For me the way to go would be straight up the return path. This is a wee bit steep in places but much better for walking on and probably quicker. Only took me half an hour from the top of Oss to get back down to the bhealach. Just means going up and back the same way but if you don't mind that its the way I'd go if I did it again.

Thanks for that Jock. The easier the better :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Postby Bog_Seeking_M1ssle » Tue May 08, 2012 1:55 pm

Great report! After yesterday, I very much have unfinished business with Ben Oss after being beaten off by weather! 3rd time lucky next time! :?
Bog_Seeking_M1ssle
Stravaiging

Munros:189   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland