walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Eighe - Wall to Wall Sunshine and Views!

Beinn Eighe - Wall to Wall Sunshine and Views!

Postby incompleat » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:17 pm

Route description: Beinn Eighe (western summits)

Munros included on this walk: Ruadh-stac Mòr (Beinn Eighe), Spidean Coire nan Clach (Beinn Eighe)

Date walked: 02/10/2011

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 18.6 km

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Munro #129 : Ruadh-stac Mor
Munro #130 : Spidean Coire nan Clach
Date : 02/10/2011
Distance : 18.6 km
Time : 7 hours, 45 minutes

(for full-sized versions of the pictures, see my Flickr photoset)

Confidence wasn't high for the weather on this trip, but I was determined to get out after 4 weeks of no hills. The forecasts were poor for all areas for the weekend. Saturday was a wash-out, but the forecast gave an indication that we might be able to catch a break in the weather on the Sunday in the North-West. So, on Saturday evening, Beinn Eighe was chosen for our walk.

We left Alford at 0530. A novelty to be driving in the dark again after the long days of summer. Heading North on the A96 via Huntly to Inverness, it rained on and off with low, grey cloud. It wasn't until we were past Elgin and approaching Inverness that daylight slowly crept in.

The journey was uneventful, although mention must be made of the stop at Tarvie Services, between Contin and Garve. It was discovered by Marshall earlier in the year and sells fantastic bacon rolls and coffee. Well worth a visit if you pass. After Tarvie, we carried on to Garve and then turned off onto the A832 to Achnasheen, a fast stretch of road which was a welcome change after miles being stuck behind every slow moving vehicle in the North of Scotland. A quick visit to Achnasheen station for a toilet stop and then we continued along the A832 to Kinlochewe. The view down to Loch Maree from the head of the pass gave us hope that the cloud was lifting. At Kinlochewe, we turned onto the road to Torridon - the A896. Don't be fooled by the road naming - this is a twisty, single track road. We passed Loch Clair and then carried on to the large carpark for Beinn Eighe (we also mistakenly stopped at the first, small 'carpark' - be careful if you try to take your car in here, it's a very potholed access road!)

Boots on and we were away at exactly 0900. Our party consisted of myself, Marshall, Brian and his son Finlay. Finlay was attempting his first Munros today.

It's a gentle, but long approach to the hill. From the car we followed the gently rising path as it went up and through the Coire Dubh Mor. On our left, Liathach's vertical sides with its sandstone terraces loomed above us. To the right, Beinn Eighe was also looking steep and intimidating. The sides of the pass were wreathed with bands on low cloud and unseen stags were roaring.

Stepping Stones by chimpaction, on Flickr

Graham and the split rock. Photo by Brian. by Brads44, on Flickr

After around 4km, we reached a split in the path. We took the path heading off to the right, which headed North and began to curve round the base of the mountain. As we contoured round the lower slopes of the hill, the low-lying cloud began to burn off and we began to get an impression of the views which were being hidden from us.

Lowering Cloud by chimpaction, on Flickr

Soon,the cloud began to clear in earnest and the views to the North were outstanding. Giant towers of sandstone rising up from the boggy Shieldaig and Flowerdale deer forests. The path turned again and began to gain height, heading for the hanging corrie of Corrie Mhic Fhearchair. The well-made stalker's path turned into a great staircase, climbing up alonside a series of waterfalls. I bounded up the steps, keen to get a better view of the wilderness behind me and the hidden corrie at the top of the steps.

The Big Reveal by chimpaction, on Flickr

Into Coire Mhic Fhearchair by chimpaction, on Flickr

Waterfalls by chimpaction, on Flickr

Lookout - can anyone id this bird? by chimpaction, on Flickr

At the top of the steps was a spectacular sight - Coire Mhic Fhearchair, with its small lochan, surrounded by the bulk of Ruadh-stac Mor, the legendary Triple Buttress and Sail Mhor. The outflow from the lochan disappeared over the lip of the corrie to the waterfalls and it was here I waiting for the others, snapping away furiously with my camera until they arrived for a coffee break. There was a cool breeze if you stood around so we ducked behind a rock and took in the views over the edge of the corrie to the North.

The Shieldaig and Flowerdale Forests by chimpaction, on Flickr

Sail Mhor by chimpaction, on Flickr

Loch Coire Mhic Fhearchair by chimpaction, on Flickr

There was a group with tents at the lip of the corrie. Must have been a chilly place to camp. They were just stirring as we started off again, heading around the side of the lochan and making for the back of the corrie. Once or twice we came across aircraft wreckage, remains of the Lancaster bomber which crashed in the corrie in 1951. (More details here) We didn't come across any of the larger pieces of wreckage - just some smaller sections of fuselage lying around.

As we neared the back wall of the corrie, the ground got rougher and a faint path wound its way through and around the rocky outcrops. There was some interesting geology around here - bands of rock twisted into strange shapes by heat and pressure and evidence of Pipe rock - formed by burrowing creatures, since fossilised and laid down in Cambrian Quartzite from around 400 million years ago. (Marshall has a good photo of the pipe rock here)

I had read reports that suggested not going up the scree gully at the back of the corrie, and that it was easier to pick a more direct line up Ruadh-stac Mor. The gully didn't look too bad so we went for it. In the dry it was fine with a left-hand edge of shattered rock acting like a very steep natural staircase. It didn't take long at all to get to the bealach between Ruadh-stac Mor and Coinneach Mhor. At the bealach there were very fine views across to Spidean Coire nan Clach - our second Munro of the day.

Coire Mhic Fhearchair by chimpaction, on Flickr

Me heading up the gully. Photo by Brian. by Brads44, on Flickr

Me at top of gully. Photo by Marshall. by a-dinosaur, on Flickr

Top of the Gully by chimpaction, on Flickr

From the Bealach by chimpaction, on Flickr

From the bealach, there was a kilometre of rock ground to cover to reach the summit cone of Ruadh-stac Mor. We hung back a little, Finlay getting the honour of summiting first for his first Munro. We spent a while on the summit. The views were simply breathtaking.

The corrie we had just ascended through to the West was obscured from view but we could see the top of Sail Mhor and the Triple Buttress. (To my dismay when I got home I realised that I didn't have any decent photos of the buttress - the sun was right above it in the corrie and I just didn't take the time to frame a good shot - still, an excuse to revisit Corrie Mhic Fhearchair in the future)

To the North, Shieldaig and Flowerdale stretched out before us, Beinn Alligin to the left, Loch Maree to the right with the Fisherfield hills behind. In the far distance was Gairloch, the Isle of Ewe and Mellon Charles. To the East, the bulk of Ruadh-stac Beag dominated the view while to the South, the rest of the day's walk around the ridge to Spidean Coire nan Clach was visible. A magical view on a magical day. Scotland in October!

Ruadh-stac Mor Summit - First Munro for Finlay! by chimpaction, on Flickr

Sail Mhor and the Triple Buttress by chimpaction, on Flickr

Distant Spidean Coire nan Clach by chimpaction, on Flickr

Ruadh-stac Mor Summit II by chimpaction, on Flickr

Ruadh-stac Mor Summit III by chimpaction, on Flickr

Ruadh-stac Beag by chimpaction, on Flickr

Shieldaig Forest by chimpaction, on Flickr

Eventually, it was time to leave the summit. We dropped down a little for a coffee break out of the wind and chatted for a while to a nice guy who was doing the reverse of our route. Then we headed back down to the bealach. Suddenly, there were walkers everywhere. We could see them in groups of 5 or 6 strung out along the hillside over the next kilometre or so. It turned out they were doing the walk guided, as part of the Torridon Autumn Walking Festival. Luckily for us, they were also doing our route in reverse so we quickly had the hill back to ourselves again.

On the way down to the bealach between Ruadh-stac Mor and Coinneach Mhor we had spotted a faint bypass path which avoided the steep pull onto the top of Coinneach Mhor. It's a narrow path across a very steep grassy slope with one section the had slipped away but it presented up with no difficulties on a day like today. It saved us around 50 metres of ascent and descent. The ridge to Spidean Coire nan Clach then began to narrow. Just before it did, we stopped for some hero shots...

Back to Ruadh-stac Mor I by chimpaction, on Flickr

Lofty Perch I by chimpaction, on Flickr

Lofty Perch II by chimpaction, on Flickr

Lofty Perch III by chimpaction, on Flickr

The narrowing ridge presented no major difficulties (you wouldn't want to trip the wrong way though!), as long as you occasionally looked at your feet rather than the views of Torridon! There were superb views across to Liathach. We stopped for a 5 minute break. I was feeling some discomfort in my left knee at this point and there was a small matter of 170 metres of ascent and a kilometre of distance to the summit of Spidean Coire nan Clach.

Liathach from Beinn Eighe by chimpaction, on Flickr

Back to Ruadh-stac Mor II by chimpaction, on Flickr

Spidean in Sight by chimpaction, on Flickr

Take Five by chimpaction, on Flickr

Up we went towards the trigpoint over rocky ground. My knee was now complaining bitterly and I struggled initially to keep pace with the other. Eventually we reached the trigpoint, dumped our bags and headed for the summit and it's cairn. With no pack, the pain eased in my knee and I took off with just my camera around my shoulder, up the fantastic scramble to the summit.

The views were simply breathtaking. I'll let the photographs speak for themselves...(and remember, click to view the larger versions)

Trigpoint View by chimpaction, on Flickr

Beinn Eighe Panorama I by chimpaction, on Flickr

Approaching Spidean Coire nan Clach Summit by chimpaction, on Flickr

Final Push to the Summit. by chimpaction, on Flickr

Spidean Coire nan Clach Summit I by chimpaction, on Flickr

Spidean Coire nan Clach Summit II by chimpaction, on Flickr

Spidean Coire nan Clach Summit III - Munro #188 for Father, #2 for Son. by chimpaction, on Flickr

Beinn Eighe Panorama II by chimpaction, on Flickr

Downclimb by chimpaction, on Flickr

Spidean Coire nan Clach Trigpoint I by chimpaction, on Flickr

Back at the tripoint it was coffee time and time to sit and soak in the views, feet dangling over the edge. You don't get many days like these!One final pose for the camera and it was time to descend. From here the car park was visible and it looked very far away, in distance and height. We followed a spur off the ridge South, down towards Stuc Coire an Laoigh.

At the cairn, we turned West (left) and dropped down into Coire an Laoigh. This was initially a very steep and loose descent. By now, my knee was giving me a lot of pain, every time I lifted my leg. Finlay also was slowing down, unaccustomed to walking such a distance. After about 300 metres of descent the slope eased. Finlay was still finding the going tough - his boots hurting his feet. Brian and Marshall slowed the pace to stay with him. Since I was the driver today, I picked up the pace, aimed to get to the road and thumb a lift to the car, so that I could meet them as they came off the hill.

Spidean Coire nan Clach Trigpoint by chimpaction, on Flickr

Stuc Coire an Laoigh by chimpaction, on Flickr

The pain in my knee subsided when I reached the flat surface of the road and I started off towards the car to the West. I was only passed by a handful of cars going my way, none of which stopped for me. I ended up having to walk the 2 kilometres back to the car - not such a great hardship on such a lovely afternoon. Arriving at the car park, I met the chap again from the summit of Ruadh-stac Mor. He was cycling back to Kinlochewe. It was 1645 - 7 hours and 45 minutes since leaving the car. I changed my boots and then returned to where the others were waiting to be picked up.

Beinn Eighe from the A896 by chimpaction, on Flickr

Liathach by chimpaction, on Flickr

Being Sunday evening, the roads were fairly quiet and we made good time back to Inverness. Rather than returning to Alford via the A96 we drove down the A9 to Aviemore and stopped there for our tea at the chippy. Next, we headed for our traditional celebratory drink at The Boat in Boat of Garten before startiing the last leg home via The Lecht.

My first visit to Torridon then, and one I'll remember for a long time!
incompleat
Mountaineer

Munros:167   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:18   

Re: Beinn Eighe - Wall to Wall Sunshine and Views!

Postby mamoset » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:19 pm

Cracking photos of a great looking walk :D

Chris
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby Jock McJock » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:21 pm

Wow! Love your pics. When I see pics of this area I always think how it looks so like some other world or some place lost in time. Your pics really show this to the full. The more reports and pics I see the more I want to get up there. :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:43 pm

Brilliant report with amazing photos!!!

Going to be using this as a reference guide when/if I get the opportunity to get up this beast.

pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:51 pm

Excellent - enjoyed that :thumbup: Cracking report and photos - like polly, I've bookmarked it for the future :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby donalmc » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:16 am

cracking report bird looks like juv/female wheatear
donalmc
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:136
Fionas:83   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:16   
Islands:24

Postby JGKES » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:37 am

Two words to describe this pictorial record-utterly superb.And such glorious conditions to boot.The views are immense;almost surreal some of them,as if,as someone commented,it's another world.To return to mundanity,was someone practising a golf swing in one of the shots?I liked your comment about keeping your eyes on your boots and off the views on one narrow section;I've been following this maxim for decades.An unforgettable experience.
JGKES
Mountaineer

Munros:51   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Hewitts:140
Wainwrights:214   

Postby incompleat » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:12 pm

Cheers All, It was a grand walk. I'm itching for more Torridon now. I've two weeks of holidays and I'm keeping my eyes peeled on MWIS :)
incompleat
Mountaineer

Munros:167   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:18   

Postby Kevin29035 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:30 am

Just found this report - and it's scarily similar to my day. I climbed Beinn Eighe on the 2nd October as well, by the same route (was an hour or two behind you, started as the skies cleared) and stopped in Aviemore (for a curry) on the way home :)

Great pics. That green loch is amazing.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:73   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby Torridon_snails » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:21 pm

Fantastic photos - really atmospheric one of the mist clearing, and the green loch is amazing. We were there last year, round the back of the loch it was quite green but without the clarity or light in your pics. Wonderful report - we'll definitely come back to this one!

All the best,

Daniel and Clare.
Torridon_snails
Hill Bagger

Munros:22   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:2   

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland