walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An affa Fyne day efter Stob an Eas

An affa Fyne day efter Stob an Eas

Postby kevsbald » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:50 am

Fionas included on this walk: Stob an Eas

Date walked: 08/10/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 550m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A new camera; a new compadre for the hills. I had recently extolled the virtues to my sister-in-law's bf of hill-walking and he had managed to find a day off. I had also decided to upgrade my existing camera to something which can take photos of close-up beasties and fauna as well as zoom for those classic Stag shots. I was not to be disappointed on both accounts. While the forecast wasn't to be balmy and sunny as in the previous weekend when I was on call (typical), we decided to take in a wee Graham with the prospect of lunch in Loch Fyne being a rather decadent way to enjoy a well-earned luncheon. The clag was down the whole way, which was unfortunate because I'm pretty sure it would have made for a great wee hill for views. However. we battered along the land rover track and took to the hill proper in good time. It does get pretty steep further up (hands needed) and there were a couple of nice crags, with the odd wee one-man cave if required. We were at the top within 2 hours and back via a dirretisima route to the car through the forestry within 4 hours. I will definitely come back and do this hill on a good day as the summit nestled airily on a rather pointy drop to the East. The camera worked wonders on picking up the fantastic detail of a dew-covered caterpillar and the chat was affa fine - the merits of positive thinking, the power of language which appears to be dying out amongst the text aficionados and the respect for seriously good food, which we were about to embark upon. Once changed and back at the car, it was a 10-miutes drive to the Loch Fyne Oyster bar, whereupon we dined on oysters, mussels and seriously tasty langoustines. I shed my public health hat and thought of Scotland. An affa fine day.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_0004.JPG
Craig in Clag
IMG_0005.JPG
Trig-point happiness
Attachments
IMG_0337.JPG
Yummy!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: An affa Fyne day efter Stob an Eas

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:21 pm

A Fyne concise report Kev. Looks like you had fun despite the weather :D

Best bit- photo of caterpillar :lol: I would buy that (the photo, not the caterpillar!)

Worst bit- photo of shellfish :( yuk!!! Are you mental?? :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Gavin99 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:44 pm

I'm with Polly on this , nice caterpillar photo , not sure about the langoustines . For the price of them you could have gone next door to the tree shop cafe and had two dozen scones and whole tray of millionaires shortbread :sick: :D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:78   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Gavin99 wrote:I'm with Polly on this , nice caterpillar photo , not sure about the langoustines . For the price of them you could have gone next door to the tree shop cafe and had two dozen scones and whole tray of millionaires shortbread :sick: :D

Oh Gavin, I wanna go walking with you!! A total carb fest :lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Gavin99 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:00 pm

A little treat or 3 never did anyone any harm :D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Walk wish-list

Postby kevsbald » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:08 am

We had scones after the prans!!! :D
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Postby Gavin99 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:17 am

:thumbup:
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Walk wish-list

Postby monty » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:55 pm

Nice one Kev. Good to see you concentrating on the Grahams. Don't worry too much about the munros. Leave them till next year :thumbup:
monty

Postby kevsbald » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:57 pm

Still hoping to hit the 200-M mark before end 2011 but the weather needs to improve!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Postby monty » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:21 pm

:lol: :lol: same here. It just won't stop raining at the weekends. I have a few days holiday coming up so hope to get past 200 by the end of November. Fingers crossed. Good luck :D
monty

Postby kinley » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:24 pm

Cheers Kev - useful update - keen to get a bit more of Argyll walked over the winter. 8)

[quote=kb]Once changed and back at the car, it was a 10-miutes drive to the Loch Fyne Oyster bar, whereupon we dined on oysters, mussels and seriously tasty langoustines. I shed my public health hat and thought of Scotland.[/quote]

Specific worries....or just general concern while eating filter feeders. :lol:
kinley

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland