walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mona Gowan from Culfork

Mona Gowan from Culfork

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:23 pm

Route description: Mona Gowan, near Strathdon

Fionas included on this walk: Mona Gowan

Date walked: 09/10/2011

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 300m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Parking just before the gate on the RHS for a couple of cars.( NJ337103 ) Just beyond the gate at the first bend is a parking area prepared for temp storage of timber during felling ops. However, there was a lock on a chain hanging from the gatepost, so beware in case you get locked in ! (Better check at the house nearby)
On my map, this was marked as a path up Gallows hill but in fact there's a forestry track all the way to Meikle Charsk Hill and a stalking track to the summit thereafter. Also the forest to the E of Meikle Charsk Hill has been clear felled. Its still shown on the Google earth 2006 images as well as the OS map.
A pleasant stroll up the track to the summit. I pushed my bike up to the shack at the edge of the - now cleared forest.
The return from this point by bike in 7 min was exilirating - (including shutting the gate at about half way )
Great views from the top of Mona Gowan of Ben Avon, Lochnager, Mount Keen by this time. Still a wee bit blowey, and sun poking through in various places.
No photos, as my daughter had borrowed my camera for another trip. But the muckle cairn is still there !
There was a new march fence on the SE side of the summit ( I didn't think anyone could afford hill fences these days )
Also what looked like Grouse feeding stations were dotted around on muckle upturned divots. (I really must brush uo on my game husbandry ) Saw some more of the strange metal pyramids that I saw on Ladylea Hill earlier in the day, in the bealach near the grouse butts between Meikle Charsk Hill & Mona Gowan.
Great to get out for a breath of fresh air !
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:91
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland