walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Quiraing (My Way!)

The Quiraing (My Way!)

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:57 pm

Route description: Quiraing, hill circuit

Date walked: 02/10/2011

Distance: 1.5 km

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As some of you will already know, I'm now ambulant disabled, unable to walk very far and always in some degree of pain and stiffness. However, when you've been used to a lifetime's walking that urge to get out is still there! The trick now is to realise when to turn back and not walk too far :D

Sunday 2 October was a glorious day and The Quiraing dominated the view from our holiday cottage. We drove up the road and parked at Bealach Ollasgairte NG440679 along with all the tourists/walkers who had beaten us to it. There was even a hot teas/coffee/refreshments caravan, just needed a "Ladies" and I'd have been in heaven :lol:

My husband set off for Meall Na Suiramach whilst I walked a few paces along the path to my first photo stop (along with the Spanish tourists in their smart fashion boots and fur jackets). There was a strong gusting wind and, trying to balance on my sticks and sort out the camera, isn't always easy!

Cleat.jpg
Cleat and Loch Cleat

Cleat and Bioda Bhuide1.jpg
Cleat and Bioda Bhuide

I walked on a few metres to try and get some shelter from the wind. The ground was a bit boggy, as I quickly discovered, when I sat down and got my tousers rather wet :D I then spent a happy ten minutes chatting to a couple of walkers trying to identify the mountains we could see on the mainland; from the hills north of Ullapool down to Torridon. Slioch was right opposite us and it was easy to see Ben Alligin, Liathach and Ben Eighe - fantastic!

Torridon and Applecross from Quiraing.jpg
Applecross and Torridon

Torridon from Quiraing2.jpg
Slioch, Ben Alligin etc.

We said goodbye, they heading back to their car, I intrepidly marching on. The path narrowed, dropped down and round to the left and, suddenly, I was sheltered from the wind and the noise of the crowds back at the car park. At that point there was no-one else in sight and I could've been miles away from civilisation :lol: The path was stony in places and a bit muddy from the previous day's rain but fairly easy going. When I reached the path going off to the left up the slopes of Meall Na Suiramach I decided I had better call it a day even though The Prison seemed tantalisingly close! I retraced my steps to a conveniently placed ledge, sheltered from the wind, in the sun and giving me a good view of The Quiraing and an ideal place for a late lunch :D

Quiraing3.jpg
The Quiraing

Quiraing4.jpg
Wider view of The Quiraing

After our cup of soup and crisps it was time for one more photo as the sun was getting lower in the sky.

Cleat and Bioda Bhuide2.jpg
Cleat and Bioda Bhuide (again)

We made our way back to the car park, now with only four cars, with me picking my way carefully down the slope and battling against the wind. Got there safely and so back to the cottage for a cup of tea :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Re: The Quiraing (My Way!)

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:18 pm

Nice one Susie, I was up there last month, but the views were no where near as good. Especially like the pic towards the mainland and Torridon.

Hows the Spanish?
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:34 pm

Good effort Susie and some beautiful photo's as a reward for it, that second one is lovely :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby rogers » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:53 pm

well done Susie, some cracking photo's as well.
rogers
Mountaineer

Munros:48   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:16 pm

Looks like you have had some fine weather susie & a fine report with pics backs that up,heading for Skye on Fri morning for a long weekend,hope the weather holds over the weekend.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:16 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Looks like you have had some fine weather susie & a fine report with pics backs that up,heading for Skye on Fri morning for a long weekend,hope the weather holds over the weekend.

Thank you! Latest weather report for Friday here is rain but fingers crossed it'll improve for you. We've been lucky this week as well, down at Elgol :D Back home on Saturday :(
SusieThePensioner

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:25 pm

Luvhiking wrote:Nice one Susie, I was up there last month, but the views were no where near as good. Especially like the pic towards the mainland and Torridon.

Hows the Spanish?

The Spanish would've got some good photos as well :D

ChrisW wrote:Good effort Susie and some beautiful photo's as a reward for it, that second one is lovely

rogers wrote:well done Susie, some cracking photo's as well.

Thanks everyone for your comments :D
SusieThePensioner

Postby Vick1 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:40 pm

Nice pics Susie and enjoyed the views I didnt get but think the mist etc added to the atmnosphere of the place when I was there :D
Vick1
Munro compleatist

Munros:42   Corbetts:10
Fionas:5   
Hewitts:64
Wainwrights:73   

Postby magicdin » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:21 pm

Terrific first report Susie and great photos
Look forward to more of the same

Haven't been to the Quirang yet - drove past a couple of times - next time I think I'll stop :D
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby Phooooey » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:14 pm

Stunning photos ! Hope Glencoe looks as nice as that in a couple of weeks time when we hire a cottage for the week. Damson can't wait.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:37 pm

Phooooey wrote:Stunning photos ! Hope Glencoe looks as nice as that in a couple of weeks time when we hire a cottage for the week. Damson can't wait.

Thank you! That's exciting off to Glencoe, has Damson been there before? Shall be expecting photos of her posing, perhaps in front of Buachaille Etive Mor :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Postby morag1 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:13 pm

Not sure how I missed this the first time round, but what a great report with stunning photos. Wow!!!

Hope you are entering the photo competition Susie 8)
morag1

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:28 pm

morag1 wrote:Not sure how I missed this the first time round, but what a great report with stunning photos. Wow!!!

Thanks, Morag :D

Back at work now after the chest infection, and few new photos on my website for you to look at :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:31 pm

magicdin wrote:Terrific first report Susie and great photos
Look forward to more of the same

Haven't been to the Quirang yet - drove past a couple of times - next time I think I'll stop

Vick1 wrote:Nice pics Susie and enjoyed the views I didnt get but think the mist etc added to the atmnosphere of the place when I was there

Thanks for these comments, sorry I didn't reply before :D
SusieThePensioner

Postby jstalker66621 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:37 pm

Yet more beautiful pics Susie...you put us all in the shade wi your eye for detail...keep em coming x
jstalker66621
Mountaineer

Munros:257   Corbetts:6

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland