walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mayar and Dreish - 2 and 3!

Mayar and Dreish - 2 and 3!

Postby AndyGerrard » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:10 pm

Route description: Mayar and Driesh, Glen Clova

Munros included on this walk: Driesh, Mayar

Date walked: 11/10/2011

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 835m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So it's a little overdue as the high winds have put the Kili training on hold but finally bagged Munro's 2 and 3. First day in a while that there were no Gale warnings... Really? No companion this time so the photos on the summits were taken with a little ingenuity from a video.

Another late start arriving at noon and setting off after about 15 minutes of pottering. Love walking in the woods so was off to a really good start - even catching a glimpse of a few Red Squirrels. Got to Corrie Fee just before 1, stopped for a tea and enjoyed the amazing views of the Corrie.
Looking up Corrie Fee.jpg

The walk up the Corrie and on to Mayar's summit plateau was a lot shorter than it looked, but the wind and bog slowed me down a bit!
Half way up Corrie Fee.jpg

Looking back down Corrie Fee.jpg

After clearing the Corrie I was really exposed to the wind and it got very bitter. The summit plateau was exceptionally boggy and the route wasn't all that clear. Despite this I picked up the pace which helped to warm me up, to arrive at the summit of Mayar at 2 o'clock.
Summit Mayar.jpg

Could only manage 10 minutes at the top for a quick lunch, pressing on to Dreish. It started to rain all around so I started to fear the worst, although it provided a great backdrop on the way to the summit of Dreish.
Ascending Little Dreish.jpg

Rainbow from summit of Little Dreish.jpg

Raeched the summit of Dreish at 3, just in time to get the waterproofs on before the rain and spill the rest of the Tuna pasta down them.
Summit of Dreish.jpg

Summit of Dreish2.jpg

Half an hour at the top and time for the walk down...
On the descent the my luck ran out and the rain finally came. With the wind in my face the remains from the Tuna pasta incident didn't last long! Luckily it was only a short squal and it was nice and toasty in the shelter of the Shank of Drumfollow on the descent.
Descending down Shank of Drumfollow.jpg

Saw a few deer on the way down but they didn't hang around long enough to get a photo. :(
The return through the woods was great with a few streams to cross and that lovely pine smell! Got back to the car at 4.30 well ahead of time... shame about the long drive home!

Really enjoyed it today despite it getting a bit nasty at times, what a beautiful Glen! Hoping to get out again before the winter really sets in and before Kili at the end of the month. Lochnagar?...
AndyGerrard

Munros:39   
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Mayar and Dreish - 2 and 3!

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:41 pm

Well done on this solo walk Andy
Really enjoyed the report :)
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am

Nice one Andy :D

I was up there yesterday also. Sorry didn't see you. Glad you had a great time :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:08 am

Great hills these two, did you hide from Polly when you heard her coming? :lol: :lol: :lol: Lochnager? Yes go for it it's superb :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland