walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The air was guid on Airgid

The air was guid on Airgid

Postby rogers » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:44 pm

Route description: Sgùrr an Airgid

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr an Airgid

Date walked: 12/10/2011

Time taken: 4.3 hours

Distance: 9 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had decided last night to do something closer to the cottage today so i treated myself to a lie in, well i am on holiday after all, so it was up shower and shave, feed the birds, feed myself, pack the gear then a short drive down to the large parking area near the war memorial, the start of the walk is just across the road and the initial path is mainly a mixture of cow pats and mud but as you gain height you soon come onto firmer stonier ground, it is quite a strenuous climb as the path starts to zigzag up to the flatter but boggy ground of Mam na Dubharaiche so be prepared for a good workout, the path is still quite easy to follow across this flat boggy area and you are soon at the final fairly moderate climb up to the summit where if you are as lucky as i was with the weather today you will have some of the best views in the area 8)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

001.JPG
Great views back down towards the car park as you climb up
003.JPG
004.JPG
the track continues through the gate to the right of the photo an winds its way up
021.JPG
stop for a view down Allt na Ruaraich
020.JPG
you level out at this point and follow the path across the bog
019.JPG
where you come to the final climb
013.JPG
leading to the summit

What follows now is a series of photos, the weather and the views were so good i couldn't help myself, anyway i'm not going to carry a camera all the way for nothing, hope you enjoy.
007.JPG
The Sky Bridge from further along on Sgurr na Seamraig
008.JPG
Some fellow walkers enjoying the views........if you are reading this folks i enjoyed our chat on the way down.
010.JPG
011.JPG
012.JPG
015.JPG
016.JPG
017.JPG
026.JPG

Well thats been one of the most enjoyable walks i have done for a while, in fact i haven't done enough walks for a while so the old legs are a bit sore tonight, but you can't beat a couple of glasses of the Black Grouse to ease the pain....cheers.
rogers
Mountaineer

Munros:48   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Re: The air was guid on Airgid

Postby Avocetboy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:53 pm

Did that a few years ago. Bought back some good memories
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:04 pm

Nice pics and report :) .

rogers wrote:I had decided last night to do something closer to the cottage today so i treated myself to a lie in, well i am on holiday after all

I try to treat every hillwalking trip as mini holiday. If it costs me a few quid more than it should (B&Bs, takeaway food etc.) and means I miss the sunrise, then so be it! I have learned that sunsets are just as good :lol: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby kev_russ » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:27 pm

Some cracking pics :thumbup:
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby kinley » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:32 am

8) Airgid is a cracking hill - such a fine viewpoint.

Well worth the short walk over to Sgurr na Seamraig as you did - improves the view.

Cheers - you got a good day for it 8)
kinley

Postby ChrisW » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:08 am

Great stuff Rogers, some lovely photos of a really good looking wander - can't beat a good weather day in the hills :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland