walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Macdui + 2 in the mist

Ben Macdui + 2 in the mist

Postby SMRussell » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:14 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Càrn a' Mhàim, Derry Cairngorm

Date walked: 03/10/2011

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Ascent: 1382m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Before we set out we checked the mountain area forecast for the East Highlands which told us it would be foggy in the morning and eventually clear. Well the weather did clear but not until 4pm after we had bagged all three Munros!

We took the bikes with us to save some time on the long approach to Derry Lodge. Once the bikes were secure we began our ascent into fog.

The walk my Lui Water was pleasant. Due to the recent wet weather the water was moving pretty quickly so we chose to use the Luibeg Bridge.
Lui Water.jpg

Once over the bridge we found ourselves surrounded by bog. But once that was negotiated the hike up to Carn a'Mhaim was straightforward and enjoyable - just a shame we couldn't see much. By this point it was coming on to 10am and we kept telling ourselves the fog would be clearing up soon...
9.jpg
the ... erm view from Carn a'Mhaim

The walk between Carn a'Mhaim and Ben Macdui was great. By this point we were in full waterproofs as the rain had hit. Thankfully the mist and rain cleared for a short time before we ascended to Ben Macdui but once on the ridge the fog had very much returned - our compass and maps (printed from 'walkhighlands' :D ) kept us on track.

Getting to the summit of Ben Macdui was great - but again - no views due to the fog :(
18.jpg
Ben Macdui bagged

Ben M.jpg

I'm not sure whether the Big Grey Man played a hand in it but between Ben Macdui and Derry Cairngorm we got ourselves a little lost due to the gross lack of visibility (and I'll admit I was concerned for about 5 mins there :shock: ). However, by keeping an eye on the compass we eventually made it to the last Munro of the day. Again - no views.

The weather cleared a bit once we began to descend Derry Cairngorm and once we got to Carn Crom we saw sunshine - by now it was just about 4pm!
24.jpg
A slight break in the cloud as we came down from DC

cloud clearing.jpg

A sodden grey walk which I'd rather not be faced with again! But it made my battered sausage and chips at the Hungry Highlander in Braemar thoroughly enjoyable!
Last edited by SMRussell on Wed May 09, 2012 3:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Re: Ben Macdui + 2 in the mist

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:28 pm

Well done for carrying on in such atrocious conditions :thumbup:

Still have to venture up there but I'm waiting for a clear day. I'm too scared to go in eerie mist :shock:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby SMRussell » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:46 am

pollyh33 wrote:Well done for carrying on in such atrocious conditions :thumbup:

Still have to venture up there but I'm waiting for a clear day. I'm too scared to go in eerie mist :shock:

- Thanks Polly! I wouldn't fancy doing it again in those conditions - the mist does start to get to you after a while. It would have been sensible to turn back after bagging Carn a'Mhaim but we were greedy and hopeful that the weather would clear. We're going to head back up in the spring / summer to take in some real views. Looking at other user reports we really missed out :(
SMRussell

Postby kinley » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:57 am

Well worth a return - it's a great walk in the right conditions.

SMR wrote:I'm not sure whether the Big Grey Man played a hand in it but between Ben Macdui and Derry Cairngorm we got ourselves a little lost due to the gross lack of visibility (and I'll admit I was concerned for about 5 mins there ). However, by keeping an eye on the compass we eventually made it to the last Munro of the day. Again - no views.

Know that feeling - Plateau can be quite intimidating when it's like that :lol:
kinley

Postby ChrisW » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:05 am

Good effort SMR, real shame about the weather up there......now you'll have to do it all again for the views :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby b-illie » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:57 pm

I have just read all your three or four (or five?) mist reports in a row - quite depressing it must have been! But I guess, even if you are out there without seeing much, you still get some exercise and fresh air (and a few more munros bagged), so if it looks safe to go on, I'd always do it. There can always be a hot chocolate at the other end. :wink:
b-illie
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby skuk007 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:20 pm

Another good report SM, real shame your not getting the views though.

I did Macdui when it was really clear and although it was great for the views I inwardly wanted a bit of mist to creep me out while looking over my shoulder for the Grey Man. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby SMRussell » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:58 pm

ChrisW wrote:Good effort SMR, real shame about the weather up there......now you'll have to do it all again for the views :lol:

Certainly will! Would love to see these hills in the snow also (provided the snow was on the ground and not falling on us!)

skuk007 wrote:Another good report SM, real shame your not getting the views though.

I did Macdui when it was really clear and although it was great for the views I inwardly wanted a bit of mist to creep me out while looking over my shoulder for the Grey Man. :)

Hehe - it certainly was atmospheric, but I'd rather he had left us alone!

b-illie wrote:I have just read all your three or four (or five?) mist reports in a row - quite depressing it must have been! But I guess, even if you are out there without seeing much, you still get some exercise and fresh air (and a few more munros bagged), so if it looks safe to go on, I'd always do it. There can always be a hot chocolate at the other end. :wink:

We've had some better walks - the hike up An Caisteal & Beinn a'Chroin was wonderful
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15948
But yes, burning off some calories makes it worth it - although I'd skip the hot choc and go straight for the cask ale :D
SMRussell

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland