walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

From sunshine into darkness on the big grey hill

From sunshine into darkness on the big grey hill

by dogplodder » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:18 pm

Route description: Beinn Liath Mhor, Achnashellach

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Liath Mhòr

Date walked: 12/10/2011

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 14 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: From sunshine into darkness on the big grey hill

Postby dogplodder » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:50 pm

ChrisW wrote:Great report and achievement with some beautiful photography to remember it by, what a wonderful day :D

Thanks Chris. I certainly enjoy reading other reports and seeing pics of places I've been or hope to go! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby b-illie » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:05 pm

dogplodder wrote:
b-illie wrote:Great dogs you have - they must be wonderful companions, I always wish I could have one!

They're great companions and I dread not having them. :( They're both rescue dogs and adapted very well to coming out with me. :D They're 8 now so hopefully a few more years yet!

If you wish you could have one you should go for it - and consider a rescue! :thumbup:

With rescue dogs, do you mean they used to work with a search & rescue team and then were retired (and came to you)? That would certainly be a great dog to have for hillwalking!
b-illie
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby dogplodder » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:24 pm

b-illie wrote:With rescue dogs, do you mean they used to work with a search & rescue team and then were retired (and came to you)? That would certainly be a great dog to have for hillwalking!

Now there's a great idea! No, they're not search and rescue dogs - though it makes sense you would think I meant that in the context of this site! They are dogs who became homeless and ended up in a 'Rescue' - in their case a Labrador Rescue in NW of England. Too many people fall for adorable Andrex puppies but can't cope when they turn into loopy adolescents who chew everything they can get their jaws round. :? Jack was a gorgeous 9 month old hooligan when we got him and Tess was 18 months from gun dog stock with a fear of loud bangs! They've both turned into great companions on the hill and I wouldn't be without them. :D
dogplodder

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:01 pm

Wow what a report!

I started reading it at a normal pace but as your anxiety began to build so did mine!!! Get off the hill!!!

Glad your husband is okay. No doubt your task of getting him out has just gotten even more difficult :(

Brilliant stuff :D

PS will be packing a head torch in my rucksack next time I head out :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2

Postby mountainstar » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:19 pm

Great report, and ironically probably made a better one because of your misfortune!
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby kevsbald » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:49 pm

Awe-inspiring report.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Jock McJock » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:50 pm

Enjoyed reading that :) Was willing you off the hill by the end :lol: Days like these are sometimes the ones that you always remember. As long as it ends well, its all good :) Some great pics there too of a lovely place.
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Postby dogplodder » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:53 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Wow what a report!

I started reading it at a normal pace but as your anxiety began to build so did mine!!! Get off the hill!!!

Glad your husband is okay. No doubt your task of getting him out has just gotten even more difficult :(

Brilliant stuff :D

PS will be packing a head torch in my rucksack next time I head out :D

My anxiety was growing by the minute and I had a good look down from each col to see if there was a feasible escape route, but it was just too steep to be sensible.

I don't know about getting him out again as I'm never the one to ask him as I know it's not his thing. But from time to time he suggests it and who am I to turn down an offer like that! :D He always says never again and then he forgets... but maybe this time he won't forget! :(
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:56 pm

mountainstar wrote:Great report, and ironically probably made a better one because of your misfortune!

It wasn't so much my misfortune as my bone-headedness! :?

But isn't it the case that bad news sells more papers? :D
dogplodder

Postby kath098 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:05 pm

Great photos, as ever. What an agreable-looking hill. Definitely on my to do list.
Yes, those nights are fair drawing in.
kath098
Mountaineer

Munros:36   Corbetts:4

Postby dogplodder » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:43 pm

Thanks Kath. :D

I was still hopeful you and I would get one in this Saturday but it's suddenly turned into winter! :shock: Such a change from last week when Pete and I did this one.
dogplodder

Postby Alastair S » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:05 pm

Wonderful, wonderful report (still catching up after a nice long holiday).

Glad to hear Pete's OK. Worrying about getting back in time might have curtailed your enjoyment on the day but I'm sure you're looking back at this day in fondness - & in lesson learnt. The photos are really fabulous, showing Scotland at its autumn best.

On the subject of head torches; mine never leaves my bag. Its as much a safety item as map & compass for me. I've only used it once in anger (getting off a hill later than intended) but I've also now using it as part of my planning - getting up a hill for dawn can be pretty special. While in mid-summer you hardly need it, having it is reassuring if you plan to be out late.

Thanks for sharing :thumbup:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby dogplodder » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:33 pm

Alastair S wrote:Wonderful, wonderful report (still catching up after a nice long holiday).

On the subject of head torches; mine never leaves my bag. Its as much a safety item as map & compass for me. I've only used it once in anger (getting off a hill later than intended) but I've also now using it as part of my planning - getting up a hill for dawn can be pretty special. While in mid-summer you hardly need it, having it is reassuring if you plan to be out late.

Ironically I was out again on Monday and could have done with a torch in the last 20 minutes or so..... but still didn't have one! :oops: Your idea is good - to have it packed in rucksack along with survival bag and compass just in case. 8)
dogplodder

Postby Torridon_snails » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:35 pm

Hi - what a really beautiful report, and as others have said, a great achievement, for you both...

We did Beinn Liath Mhor this July, and we were going to post a report but really you've said it all - and your photos are ace - much better than ours, particularly from the top. Also, we were lazy and didn't do the ridge - just the summit, which is a shorter option if you do it from the north (Ling Hut) side, as we did. The weather looked a bit ominous, which was our excuse! Actually it got better later in the evening, when we were well down off the mountain, so we did get some nice views over Lochan Neimhe and Loch Torridon...

Your report also brought back happy memories of last year when we walked to the top of Coire Lair from Achnashellach station. The weather wasn't great so we didn't go any higher the the loch at the top, but it's a great walk. We're hoping to do the other half of that path to Annat next year, either on a through walk at the start of a Torridon holiday (i.e. using the path to get to Torridon from the railway), or on a walk to Sgurr Ruadh from Annat.

Lyme disease is one of our background fears when hillwalking - we hope Pete does well and gains confidence...

And your dogs look so nice - the kind of dogs one would like to meet on the hill! We've not much experience with dogs but yours must be great companions. Perhaps one day when we're less busy with work we might have one..!?

Thanks again for sharing your experiences - your report was moving and spectacular at the same time... Wonderful stuff.

All the best,

Daniel and Clare.
Torridon_snails
Hill Bagger

Munros:22   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:2   

Postby dogplodder » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:08 pm

Torridon_snails wrote:We're hoping to do the other half of that path to Annat next year, either on a through walk at the start of a Torridon holiday (i.e. using the path to get to Torridon from the railway), or on a walk to Sgurr Ruadh from Annat.

Lyme disease is one of our background fears when hillwalking - we hope Pete does well and gains confidence...

Thanks Daniel and Clare. The paths in this area are excellent. I used the one from Annat to climb Maol Chean-dearg and found it a lovely approach.

The ironic thing about Pete getting Lyme Disease is that I'm the one exposed to ticks far more often and have only ever found one on me. Having said that, we live on the edge of woods where roe deer live and there are ticks in our garden! :? When out on the hill wearing gaiters is meant to help and the other thing is to thoroughly check yourself after each walk. The biggest danger of infection seems to be if they're attached for 24 hours so getting them off quickly greatly reduces the risk.
dogplodder

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland