walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Tairneachan, misty for a mine, and mechanical sheep!

Meall Tairneachan, misty for a mine, and mechanical sheep!

Postby cheekykarma » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:25 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall Tairneachan

Date walked: 15/10/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 780m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Saturday 15th October 2011

Myself and three more amigos made four early in the morning. The weather offered a glimpse of hope but it was dowsed along with drizzle and expectations of more rain on the way.

Through Aberfeldy and onto the B846 was the route we followed. After the Schiehallion road there is a public carpark at an old Limekiln. However a bit further up at the side of the road opposite the construction site. About 780562. A gate and enough room for two or three cars without causing issue with the access.

It was time to pop on the waterproofs and the drizzle was already there to meet us.

IMG_2641.JPG
Starting point with a little drizzle

The ascent is quite straightforward but a continuous ascent. The track keeps going and going through the forest and rising all the time.

Despite the low cloud of the day some of the autumn colours were still showing. It is a pity we did not have clear skies and sunshine to really show them off.

IMG_2643.JPG
On the forest path

The forest soon ends and so did our shelter. There was indeed wind and drizzle out there today and on the open path the hoods were up and the weather was on us.

Crossing just out the forest was a cattle grid. I do not know what anyone else thinks but these things give me the fear. They are awkward, they are slippery. All the time I think my feet are going to slip through and something is going to snap!

IMG_2645.JPG
Cattle grids - I just do not trust them

This is a great little walk and the intent is to stay on this path until you reach a little cairn marker and iron post.

Roughly at 807/8 545/6.

IMG_2647.JPG
Low cloud views

IMG_2649.JPG
The open track and the cloud dipping low

IMG_2651.JPG
Amigos in the distance

IMG_2667.JPG
Cairn and the Iron Post marker the path up

It is a very quick hop to the summit of Meall Tairneachan. Here the wind and drizzle was picking up and quite harsh. There had been a plan before this day began to carry on to Farragon Hill but looking around. There was no around. Only grey sheets of Scottishness.

The decision was to push forward to see what we can see of the mine at least. And then more than likely call it a short day from there.

Just time for the gratuitous walker out of puff in the dreich pic. Another tick.

IMG_2654.JPG
Huff Puff Tick

I took a quick video clip that shows it was very windy indeed. Keep your volumes low as it is all just wind noise. What am I saying? I am saying it is very windy indeed.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBjszL0eTHg[/youtube]

We had before us a quick and steep descent. Through the murk and gloom we found a roundabout! Yes we did.

IMG_2658.JPG
Yes a roundabout!

And lots of Lime.

IMG_2659.JPG
Bodies to hide, water to treat, or cave trolls to feed?

Another 10 minutes or more walking following the path and we found the entrance to the mine.

Impressive internet gained facts so far. Any clever geologist types feel free to add anything more.

Seemingly this is the only source of Barytes mined in the UK. Producing around 80% of Barytes for the UK.
Is run by 8 miners. Well done them, just eight. By 2008 it had passed its one millionth tonne! Mostly production is for North Sea Oil demands, but some goes to medical and pharmaceutical needs also.

The mine is over 600m up. The road in is 5km long. The mine is 150m underground and has around 4 miles of tunnels. Some seams are as little as 1m to 3m thick but can also reach 15m thick of rich resources.

They have to haul the bounty through to Aberfeldy for processing before it then transports to Aberdeen. That is wee small roads for big hefty haulage.

IMG_2663.JPG
What is that?!

IMG_2664.JPG
No not tentacles of some cave beast just venting

IMG_2665.JPG
Pic of the day- three amigos

Now again anyone familiar with Trollhunter the movie, will be aware I have huge suspicions here. I heard snoring, grunting, even dare I say farting coming from those vents behind those locked doors.

I suspect we have an area of high Cave Troll activity.

The troll machinery was evident all over. And even more sinister was the fact we were being observed by mechanical sheep! Recording our every move.

IMG_2673.JPG
Troll machinery again!

IMG_2671.JPG
BEWARE - Mechanical Sheep!

On our return we passed quite a few others heading for the hills into the mists. I hope none of them awoke the cave trolls or succumb to the mind bending techniques of mechanical sheep.

Scotland has a secret danger within those hills off the beaten tracks.

A great day again. Despite the weather, a good walk. And one very good photo indeed from the mine I am very happy with showing three amigo adventurers.

For certain added to the list of return on the good clear day. Also I think would be a great winter walk too.
cheekykarma
Mountaineer

Munros:44   Corbetts:17
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:9   

Re: Meall Tairneachan, misty for a mine, and mechanical shee

Postby rambler » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:36 pm

That looks like an easy straightforward one - pity about your weather. :D
rambler
Hill Bagger

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:55 pm

I'm looking to use the bike when i get round to doing these two so good to see the track doesn't look too steep. Cheers for the report.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:02 pm

There may have low cloud and dreich conditions but you managed a fantastic report!

Cheers :)
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby cheekykarma » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:06 pm

heh

thanks folks

i would add its stalking zones and when the mine is in work be careful too

and the ascent is a continual ascent up the track - even a brand new land rover discovery that stopped to chat with us had a few seconds - grooooooan - before its 4x4 tech kicked in and helped it up the track

:)
cheekykarma
Mountaineer

Munros:44   Corbetts:17
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:9   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland