walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great Whernside

Great Whernside

Postby poppiesrara » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:30 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Great Whernside

Date walked: 15/10/2011

Time taken: 2.75

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 585m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A short Dales walk on a perfect autumn afternoon.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

From Kettlewell, busy this afternoon with the later finishers from a (very wet-looking) fell race, a lovely path heads up beside and (sometimes quite precariously) above Dowber Gill Beck to Providence Pot. This might be a spectacular cave below, but all the walker sees is a rather perfunctory manhole cover… Beautiful surroundings nonetheless though.
1 Dowber Gill.jpg
Dowber Gill

2 Down Dowber Gill.jpg
Down Dowber Gill

3 Dowber Gill Beck.jpg
Dowber Gill Beck

4 Providence Pot.jpg
Providence Pot

5 Great Whernside south ridge.jpg
Great Whernside south ridge

Clear paths head out of the valley and then up over the rough moors to the surprisingly rocky summit area of Great Whernside, from where there are easy routes along the ridge to its northern outcrops.
6 Birks Fell over Hags Dyke.jpg
Birks Fell over Hags Dyke

7 Great Whernside summit.jpg
Great Whernside summit

8 North from G Whernside summit rocks.jpg
North from Great Whernside summit rocks

9 Buckden Pike from G Whernside.jpg
Buckden Pike from Great Whernside

10 Blackfell Top.jpg
Blackfell Top

11 Back to G Whernside.jpg
Back to Great Whernside

12 Start of descent path.jpg
Start of descent path

The path down west to Tor Dike starts off very pleasantly on firm grass but – at least at the moment – then descends into a pretty lengthy swampy morass… Hard to see the obvious alternatives on the map, but this probably isn’t the best way down! It’s over fairly quickly though, and the nice green tracks that lead back down to Kettlewell from the far side of the road at least give you time to dry the marsh from your knees, while enjoying the great views back to the hills and down into Wharfedale.
13 Tor Dyke.jpg
Tor Dyke

14 Wharfedale over Diamond Hill.jpg
Wharfedale over Diamond Hill

15 Fears Gill.jpg
Fears Gill

16 Great Whernside.jpg
Great Whernside

17 Rain Slack & Langcliffe.jpg
Rain Slack & Langcliffe

18 Wharfedale from Top Mere Road.jpg
Wharfedale from Top Mere Road

19 Wharfedale.jpg
Wharfedale

20 Kettlewell.jpg
Kettlewell
Last edited by poppiesrara on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Great Whernside

Postby ChrisW » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:33 am

Great report P, beautiful countryside (though I may be biased :lol: ) and some great photos that make me want to get back to the dales :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby colgregg » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:16 pm

Great report Poppie. Not been up Gt whernside for around 20 years when on one crazy day I decided to do Malham from Coverdale. I walked over Little Whernside which was purgatory then onto Gt Whernside which was paradise by comparison. It was on this walk that I recieved the kindest gesture ever while out walking. Seeing I was struggling along the road around a mile from Kettlewell ( around mile 26 of 33) a guy offerd me a lift in an e-type Jag no less. I'd expected to be dropped off in the village but the guy actually went out of his way to drive me up to the top of Park Rash, to where Tor Dyke crosses, leaving me an easy 3 mile downhill ramble to my waiting lift. I've always believed that he saved me from having very serious repercussions due to my stupidity in trying to tackle such a distance on what was a very hot day. He even gave me a couple of cans of beer to drink as he dropped me off. What a pleasure it was sitting by the roadside recooperating. I'll always be eternally grateful for his generosity.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby 37201xoIM » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:16 pm

Yes, I'd add my thanks too for sharing this excellent route - makes for a very pleasant afternoon's potter between buses, and shows Wharfedale's scenery at its very best.
37201xoIM

Munros:11   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:120
Wainwrights:45   Islands:19

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland