walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Birthday Bagging: An Caisteal & Beinn a'Chroin

Birthday Bagging: An Caisteal & Beinn a'Chroin

Postby SMRussell » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:44 pm

Route description: An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chròin, near Crianlarich

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin

Date walked: 30/07/2011

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1045m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A group of us were staying at the Strathfillan Wigwams for a few nights so we could bag a few Munros in the west to celebrate my 27th :D . We woke up to a wonderful view.
1 Wigwams and Views.jpg

I couldn't have wished for a better weekend. This walk was fantastic! Perfect weather, an amazing sense of space, good paths, a striking first Munro, fun sections of scrambling and excellent views.

We followed the WH route and parked in the large layby off the A82. There was some boggy ground to negotiate before getting under the railway underpass but after that the pathway was well maintained... until we forked off onto the grass and headed towards Sron Gharbh. The terrain here was a bit boggy but not too bad. The ascent up Sron Gharbh was actually pretty steep with a mix of rocky path and boggy sections. We all worked up a bit of a sweet.
3 the beginning of the ascent.jpg

4 the first of the beautiful views.jpg

Once Sron Gharbh was out of the way the walk really got going. We were already being treated to some nice views. The walk from here to Twistin Hill was really pleasant. The whole ascent up An Caisteal was an enjoyable mix of steep rocky sections and flatter grassier sections. But the views were just wonderful. Ben More looked great!
5 a view to the fort.jpg

6 views from the AC ascent.jpg

7 views from the AC ascent.jpg

8 a fellow bagger and I made a break for it.jpg

9 me and some of the group.jpg

10 my brother and I leading the way.jpg

11 more views on the ascent.jpg

12 Ben More.jpg

13 looking back down the mountain.jpg

14 one of my walking partners having a seat and taking in the view.jpg

15 more views.jpg

16 almost at the summit.jpg

There was some scrambling to be done before we got to the summit of An Caisteal which was great fun :) and meant we were on a high as we got to the summit. From here we could see both Loch Katrine and Loch Lomond.
17 on the top.jpg

18 views from the top.jpg

19 view to loch lomond.jpg

20 time for a break.jpg

The walk between the two Munros involved a fantastic rocky descent followed by a steep ascent and further sections of scrambling. Once we'd bagged Beinn a'Chroin some of us carried on to bag the final top at 940mtrs while the others headed straight down into the valley. The descent down into the valley was pretty steep and I was suffering jelly knees - I ended up jogging down most of it because this actually made it easier on my knees, although I dread to think what would have happened if I had put a foot wrong! The walk through the valley by River Falloch was REALLY boggy! No boot made it out without having been swallowed at least once. But hey, this didn't take anything away from the day. BEST bagging experience yet :D !
21 starting the descent.jpg

22 getting off the rocks.jpg

23 the view to the BC ascent.jpg

24 view back to BC.jpg

25 our second summit.jpg
Last edited by SMRussell on Wed May 09, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Re: Birthday Bagging: An Caisteal & Beinn a'Chroin

Postby EwaMH » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:24 pm

All sounds about right! Was a great bagging experience..minus my nearly breaking my arm on that rocky descent!! :D
EwaMH

Munros:207   Corbetts:83
Fionas:34   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:16

Re: Birthday Bagging: An Caisteal & Beinn a'Chroin

Postby SMRussell » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:42 pm

EwaMH wrote:All sounds about right! Was a great bagging experience..minus my nearly breaking my arm on that rocky descent!! :D

Oh the memories! That was a seriously nasty bruise. Also neglected to mention Jaclyn's ankle and Roy's crazy sunburn :lol:

I think that was most of our luck used up weather wise - the mist and rain has followed us about ever since!
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland