walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A trip around the Beinn Dearg group

A trip around the Beinn Dearg group

Postby Duncandsooz » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:44 pm

Route description: Beinn Dearg - the Four Munros circuit

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Ullapool), Cona' Mheall, Eididh nan Clach Geala, Meall nan Ceapraichean

Date walked: 02/08/2011

Time taken: 8.25 hours

Distance: 26.8 km

Ascent: 1724m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We did this walk in the summer, when the weather was a bit more agreeable. We were staying in Aviemore and tried to vary where we went.
IMG_0227.JPG
at start

I chose this for the views which were excellent, but stupidly forgot my camera so iPhone photos I'm afraid

We set off on bikes from the car park at Inverlael up though the forest on the tracks, taking bikes for the 3km was a bit of a hastle but great on the way back esp for the children. Midges were in force in the car park so we didn't hang about.
we left the bikes at the edge of the woodland and set off up the path by the River Lael.

At the small cairn we took a left and followed the stalkers path towards Eididh nan Clach Geala we left the stalkers path just before the lochan, it was an easy pull up the summit. The views were super.
IMG_0236.JPG
top of Eididh nan Clach Geala looking to Cul Mor , Cul Beag and poss Cansip
IMG_0247.JPG
an teallach

From here we headed down and over to Meall nan Ceapraichean the was no recognisable path and it was a bit of a slog up to the summit and it took longer than I had thought it would. We had a bit to eat while looking down Gleann na Sguaib on the summit it had taken 4hrs so far. It was a bit odd on the summit with Beinn Dearg towering over us.
IMG_0259.JPG
top of Meall nan Ceapraichean looking down Loch Broom

From here we headed up Cona Meall this was straightforward and took under an hour to reach the summit from Meall nan Ceapraichean. Views were great across Coire Ghranda and kids spirits high it was shaping up to be a great day out, however just the final push up Beinn Dreag to go.
IMG_0263.JPG
Coire Ghranda
IMG_0275.JPG
Seana Bhraigh from Cona Meall

From Cona Meall we went back to the bealach and headed up the steep climb to the top to Beinn Dreag by the wall. It was bizarre to see the wall there it made me think of the men who built it and why it was built. I guess it is a good navigational aid now so still has a use of sorts. The climb up was just the gradient I like so we were at the top on no time at all just 50 mins from the top of Cona Meall.
IMG_0281.JPG
top Beinn Dearg

The kids climbed the large cairn, as did mum and dad. :D
IMG_0301.JPG
Beinn Dreag and Cona Meall from a lay by on way home
IMG_0291.JPG
wall on Beinn Dreag

We headed back to the bealach then back along the stalkers path to our bike then the car. This took a fair bit of time and we were all grad to reach the bikes.

This was a great day out.
Duncandsooz
Mountaineer

Munros:244   Corbetts:4
Islands:11

Re: A trip around the Beinn Dearg group

Postby Liathach » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:45 pm

I've only ever done this group starting with Beinn Dearg. Your report has got me thinking! Your children seemed to be enjoying themselves. Good to see youngsters on the hills.
Liathach

Postby dogplodder » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:00 pm

Well done your kids on doing all 4 in one outing! :clap: They'll have well and truly got the bug now. 8)

I was thinking while climbing up beside Destitution Wall it was quite a steep slope to build a wall on - and these guys would have walked a long way to get there and were suffering from a famine too! :?
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby monty » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:02 pm

Excellent report Duncandsooz. Well done the kids on tackling these remote Munros. Looks like you had some great views as well. Nice :D
monty

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland