walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cnoc Coinnich

Cnoc Coinnich

Postby lomondwalkers » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:41 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Cnoc Coinnich

Date walked: 29/09/2011

Time taken: 3.5 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another gloomy, dreich and windy day led us round to Lochgoilhead for a wee change of "scenery." From the carpark at the head of the Loch, we followed the Cowal Way towards the forest, passing some handsome looking locals along the way. Being the good friend that I am, I let Del Boy lead the way past them :lol:
DSC_0001.JPG
Am I the only one that gets nervous when they stare??
DSC_0003.JPG
Safely past

Once past the coos, it's over a stile and into the forest, passing by a nice waterfall through the trees on the left.
DSC_0007.JPG

This then led to a firebreak where the path was wet and muddy, and then eventually out onto the open hill where there is a stile over the fence.
DSC_0008.JPG
Firebreak
DSC_0012.JPG
Out of the forest and into the gloom

From here we plodded along the Cowal Way route, hoping to sniff out a track of some sort, but to no avail, and around the 450m mark we headed Southeast off the path. The rest of the walk was pretty unspectacular with zero views from here to the summit cairn, where the wind was strong, the rain was wet and the air was cold!
DSC_0017.JPG
DSC_0018.JPG

Didn't hang around the summit, and took a more direct descent back to the firebreak, with a few slips and slides along the way :lol:
Despite the conditions it was a fairly enjoyable plod, and being 3 feet short of a Corbett, Cnoc Coinnich had more ascent than some of the Munros I've done. Would have been nice to get some views of the two Lochs though, which has got me thinking I may redo this on a nice crisp blue sky day in winter 8)
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Cnoc Coinnich

Postby kevsbald » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:44 pm

Well done on doing the biggest Graham out there. I agree, a good day must be a must! Must.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:56 pm

Another driech one Dave!

I'm sure there are views to be had!!

Still better than being stuck at work :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby lomondwalkers » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:19 pm

kevsbald wrote:Well done on doing the biggest Graham out there. I agree, a good day must be a must! Must.

Must it? :lol: Didn't realise it was actually the highest of the Grahams, that means the rest will be a skoosh doesn't it??? :think:
pollyh33 wrote:Another driech one Dave!

I'm sure there are views to be had!!

Still better than being stuck at work :D

Dreich seems to be the way for me just now Pauline :( Hopefully I'll get those views over winter :D Infinitely better than work tho :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Del246 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:32 pm

Good effort. I find it hard going in the rain, dont mind the cold, wind, SUN, but dislike the rain !!
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby benlomonds » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:43 pm

kevsbald wrote:Well done on doing the biggest Graham out there. I agree, a good day must be a must! Must.

Now a Corbett. :clap:
benlomonds
Mountain Walker

Munros:45   Corbetts:14
Fionas:6   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:15

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland