walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochagar five... failed! :(

Lochagar five... failed! :(

Postby boabie » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:06 am

Date walked: 20/10/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

set off from dundee at 4am yesterday morning, got to the car park at glen muick at 6am, quick bite to eat then time to get ready... problem number one... i forgot to pick up my boots!!!! :o decided that it would take too long to go back for them so set off in trainers at 7am!! the walk in was nice and relaxed (and comfy due to my footwear!) and as the sun rose over the hills it gave me a nice view of all the deer on the hill sides.

got up as far as the ridge as you round meikle pap, but the snow had been falling the previous night. things were doing good to this point, then i took a step and my leg disappeared into the snow!! :lol:

decided that i was under prepared and under equipped to tackle the last climb to the ridge, so about turned and headed back (slowly) to the car...

passed a few hardy souls on the way back, they looked better prepared with ice axe's, so i hope they made it to the peak and had a better day than me!

Lochnagar, i'll see you early next year!!! 8)
boabie
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Lochagar five... failed! :(

Postby Jockstar » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:22 am

I'm sure that a lot of people have made the same mistake and its so frustrating after making the effort to get
up early. :( But as they say - planning and preparation is key ! look forward to Lochnagar report in 2012!! :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby boabie » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:29 pm

it's sickening knowing that my boots would have gave me better grip in the snow and i could have made that final scramble... and it didn't help my mood every time i turned my head and saw the peak laughing at me!! :lol:

think it's the first sensible decision i've ever made though, rather be here to try again another day :D

boots are now resident in the boot (excuse the pun)
boabie
Mountaineer

Postby porty » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:30 pm

Realising you'd no boots must have been murder Boabie but definitely the right decision to turn back given the conditions.

Good to see you back in the big hills - the five will still be there in the the spring awaiting your return.
porty
Mountain Walker

Munros:21   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:6   

Postby boabie » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:23 pm

ok guys, i'm back! had a lot going on this year so far, but i'm finally free to start my walking again :clap:

heading for these hills again tomorrow... with boots! forecast isn't the greatest, but im not letting a bit of wind and rain put me off... new report to come during the week 8)
boabie
Mountaineer

Postby jonny616 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:56 pm

Going to do these next Saturday. How much snow is there?
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Jonay » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:31 pm

None, the odd patch on the north faces but nothing on the plateau

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rgv2zwqeeb1pedp/2012-06-12%2016.29.01.jpg (taken from Dreish on Tuesday last week)
Jonay
Stravaiging

Munros:14   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   

Postby jonny616 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:20 am

Jonay wrote:None, the odd patch on the north faces but nothing on the plateau

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rgv2zwqeeb1pedp/2012-06-12%2016.29.01.jpg (taken from Dreish on Tuesday last week)

Thanks 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland