walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fan Hir and Fan brycheiniog

Fan Hir and Fan brycheiniog

Postby willywalker247 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:51 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Fan Brycheiniog, Fan Hir

Date walked: 20/10/2011

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 14.1 km

Ascent: 977m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Parked my car in the Tafarn y Garreg pub carpark £3 for the day or a pint in the pub later, which i had. Grid ref SN849171. The route i decided to take was up and along Fan Hir. The path starts right next to the pub carpark. It`s a wide path which takes you to a foot bridge over the river tawe, once over the bridge turn right keeping the river to your right and the fence to your left until you come to a gate on your left, pass through the gate keeping the field and the sheep fold on your left, it`s then a steep climb up through the bracken but as you climb the view starts to open up. It`s a bit of a slog up Fan Hir but well worth it. My pics can tell you the rest.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Fan hir walk 025.JPG
Path leading to foot bridge
Fan hir walk 023.JPG
Foot bridge
Fan hir walk 024.JPG
River tawe
Fan hir walk 002.JPG
Looking up and along Fan Hir
Fan hir walk 003.JPG
Fan Hir
Fan hir walk 005.JPG
Path leading up to Fan Brycheiniog
Fan hir walk 006.JPG
Lake Llyn y Fan Fawr
Fan hir walk 007.JPG
Shelter on Brycheiniog
Fan hir walk 008.JPG
Brycheiniog trig point
Fan hir walk 011.JPG
Fan hir walk 012.JPG
Cairn on Fan Foel
Fan hir walk 013.JPG
Fan hir walk 014.JPG
Fan hir walk 015.JPG
Stone circle on Fan Foel
Fan hir walk 016.JPG
Cairn on fan foel
Fan hir walk 022.JPG
Looking east from Fan Hir towards Fan Gyhirych with Corn Du & Pen y Fan in the distance
Fan hir walk 021.JPG
Heading back and down Fan Hir
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland