walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The end of an epic summer - Hunt Hill

The end of an epic summer - Hunt Hill

Postby joenorris » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:04 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Hunt Hill

Date walked: 30/09/2011

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 775m

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So it had come to my last day at home before heading back down to uni in England, and I couldn't think of any better way to spend it than getting out in the hills. Fancying a relatively easy-going and nearby walk, I opted for Hunt Hill in Glen Esk, an area I had only been to once before to get up Mount Keen. Hunt Hill couldn't have been more of a contrast to Mount Keen, as I will explain!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Setting off from the public carpark at the end of the Glen Esk road on my bike, I made my way past Invermark Castle and a ruined church to the start of Loch Lee. It was beautiful weather - no clouds in the sky, and I hadn't even thought about putting suncream in. I guess I could do to top up my tan for the winter...

Invermark Castle

Water of Lee

The ruined church

The cycle along Loch Lee was cracking - nobody in sight, just some serious tranquility. Having never heard of the loch before, it turned out to be stunning, with a couple of obscure boathouses adding to the interest.

The serene estuary gradually dissipated into a big floodplain sparsely populated by a few sunbathing sheep as the big crags of Craig Maskeldie came into view, casting its shadow right over the floor of the Glen. I eventually reached the end of my cycle in about half an hour, dropping my bike where the path forks west to the Falls of Unich.

Towards Hunt Hill

Looking back in the direction of the Loch

After a wee bite to eat, I headed along the path towards the Falls of Unich, cutting of the path up towards Earn Craig after a few minutes. My target gully looked very simple from below, although it turned out to be a little tricky at points (due mostly to the crumbly rock and wet moss). The views immediately began to open out back towards Loch Lee and Craig Maskeldie, looking great!

Earn Craig and my gully (right of photo)

Back towards Craig Maskeldie

After a steep muddy climb at the top of the gully, I suddenly emerged out on the vast heathery plateau, with a decent wind almost taking me off my feet! From here it was a wee trot along the plateau to the summit cairn for lunch.

Mount Keen from the summit

A (very) distant Lochnagar

I sat on the summit for half an hour, just enjoying my last day in the hills. Mount Keen looked particularly unimpressive - the enormous scarring track clearly visible up to the summit. I thought back to the day I did Mount Keen just after Christmas 2007, blue sky and deep snow - but I couldn't help but feeling this comparison was the perfect example as to why it is worth stepping out of the Munro-bagging box - today's walk (so far) had been a vastly more interesting walk!

Anyway, enough ranting/reminiscing (for now) - I headed off south from the summit across deer tracks until I eventually cut down into the gully just below the Falls of Damff. A really nice stalkers path led all the way back down to the Falls of Unich, with an enormous variety of mushroom and flower life about. The falls themselves were particularly impressive - more so than I perhaps imagined.

The stalkers path

The river

I'd never before taken an interest in mushrooms, but there was an enormous variety, so I decided today could be the day. (If you don't like pictures of mushrooms, you can skip to near the end of the report!) Fortunately I decided against tasting some of these delights, but I wouldn't mind learning a bit about mushrooms so next time I can have a wee feast.

ImageImage
Mushrooms

The Falls of Unich

After reaching my bike, it was just a matter of the cycle back along the Loch. I noticed a derelict house next to the track that I had missed the first time - it's a nice spot as well, shame.

Anyway, it wasn't long before I was back along at the end of the Loch, waving (metaphorically) goodbye to the hills until December. Arriving back at the carpark, there were fifteen cars and a minibus there - presumably people trudging up Mount Keen. I felt somewhat sad for them - little did they know of the gem they would find if they took the path along to Hunt Hill instead! It's not often a walk combines all the features of this one - some cool buildings, mighty crags, a cracking waterfall, a beautiful loch and loads of interesting growths in the ground. What a great way to end the summer!

Last edited by joenorris on Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
joenorris

Munros:232   Corbetts:79
Fionas:10   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:40   

Re: The end of an epic summer - Hunt Hill

Postby kev_russ » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:16 pm

Nice pics joe. Sometimes yi just cannae beat a nice wee low level stroll
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:79
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby ChrisW » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:14 pm

Great report joe, I've done this one myself here and really enjoyed it, I did take the 'scenic route' about it but I needed the exercise :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby tom_scott » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:27 pm

do you not do munros anymore or was that just today?
tom_scott
Mountaineer

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby joenorris » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:55 am

Cheers Kev, you're damn right!

Chris - I remember checking out your report for the walk (and seeing all the interesting stuff like the church et al) - it was certainly part of the reason for choosing this one, so thanks! I think we both agree it's a cracker.

Tom - I definitely still do Munros! They're just requiring longer drives to get there now, so on this occasion I opted for something a little closer to home.

Cheers guys.
joenorris

Postby malky_c » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:52 pm

You're right - this is a really great little hill, probably the best in the area (although Craig Maskeldie could give it some stiff competition). I did an almost identical route, although I went up the left hand side of Earn Craig instead. I looked at your gully, but decided that my nephew (who was with me) might not get up it.

Great report 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby benno » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:38 pm

I'd love to know how many times over those shrooms could kill a man :lol: They look rather deadly.

Nice report, glad you got the weather for it too.
benno

Munros:282   Corbetts:35
Fionas:16   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Alastair S » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:26 pm

Super report & some fab photos. This is a super little glen - it wasn't till my third visit (in May this year) that I got really good weather when I had a great day out. Craig Maskeldie is well worth a visit.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby IainG » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:46 pm

Hunt Hill, one of my favourite walks. A cracking glen with some outstanding variety of ventures.
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby foggieclimber » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:18 pm

Hunt Hill is a great wee hill and this is a good report of it.
Always good to see flora/fauna shots included in a report too.

I enjoyed a walk up Hunt Hill in January this year on a cold but pleasant Winter's day - old report.
foggieclimber

Postby joenorris » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:02 pm

Cheers foggieclimber. Aye it's a great wee walk. Your route looks awesome - I may have to go back for a circular route via Craig Maskeldie sometime. Loch Lee looks great frozen too. Also, I've heard since that there are some airplane wrecks somewhere on Hunt Hill - can't find any info as to where they are though. This spot has everything.
joenorris

Postby rambler » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:22 pm

Lovely photos, that looks like a great walk. Craig Maskeldie looks pretty impressive. :D
rambler
Hill Bagger

Postby Gibson Jones » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:48 pm

Thanks Joe, this was a great report and makes me want to head to Hunt Hill. Great pictures though I am not curious about mushrooms yet :)
Gibson Jones
Mountaineer

Munros:2   
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby morag1 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:16 pm

Hi, this is a great report - you seemed to have covered an incredible distance in such a short time

i am thinking about doing this walk too, not too far from Edzell which is handy for me :D
morag1

Postby joenorris » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:47 pm

Thanks Morag - you're lucky to be in such an great spot for accessing these hills!

morag1 wrote:you seemed to have covered an incredible distance in such a short time

It seems like a lot, but I did probably 80% of the distance on my bike, and it only took about 40 minutes or so each way along Loch Lee. I probably should've made more of the cracking weather and scenery now I think about it!
joenorris

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland