walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Welcome to Arrochar !

Welcome to Arrochar !

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:21 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Ben Vane

Date walked: 23/10/2011

Time taken: 9 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have been hoping too get into the Arrochar Alps for a while and today my dad gave me the oppurtunity.

The plan was too do Ben Vane, Beinn Ime and Beinn Narnain. The weather was good early in the day but it was deteriorating all day long with very few views of any kind.

I had been out for a few beers last night and ended up in bed way later than I should have been, lets just say I got about 4 hours sleep and when I woke my head was still pretty sore. Anyway, we left Inveruglas visitor centre at 8.45am and after a few trys looks for the start point we eventually made our way up the tarmac road. A' Chrois was looming large and trying too confirm which hill was quite difficult. Eventaully we got round the corner and could see the base of Ben Vane. It is my kind of hill ! Steep, rocky and a huge pyramid. Dont know what It is about steep things that I am attracted too, I just find them cool. Anyway, we began the ascent and into the mist we went.

Where is the hill ? Bob leads the way !

We pushed on and made good time up the steep face which has lots of features which keeps your mind off the pain going through your calfs ! We seemed too be taking the hardest routes up through the rock features with parts which needed a technical foot and the use of hands. It was good fun for practicing holds on though. Eventually the flat and fairly un-eventful top was reached and after taking a bearing and getting some food we headed due west for Beinn Ime.

The "boring cairn" and the summit shrowded in mist.

Trying out the grump look up top !

The descent down Ben Vane was steep and could have been dangerous had the cloud not blown off for our descent. Trying too take a bearing coming over those crags would be nigh impossible in very thick, low cloud. Now after this there was very small oppurtunities for pictures. I was half hungover, dehydrated and hungry. I had very little food and what water I did have was fast disappearing. Dad had a good supply of water luckily enough. I had bought some food in Dumbarton so was re-fuelled when we reached the valley floor, it wasn't much but high energy gear was enough too keep me going.

The view back up at Ben Vane from the valley.

The climb from here was pathless and soggy. I was slowing quite quickly, still fast enough too be efficently moving though. By this point I was kind of wishing I had cut my loses on Vane where I had been enjoying myself, now I was slogging and not enjoying much of it. And too add insult too injury, the bad weather which had been forecast for the afternoon came blowing in just as we reached Beinn Imes bealach and waterproofs were now called upon. Blast's of wind came sweeping across the grassy slope, it reminded me of the initial ascent of Ben More but slightly more tame in angle and in the weathers attitude.

We reached the summit but didn't hang around. Didn't even take my phone out for a picture. We descended directly south too the bealach between Beinn Ime and Beinn Narnain. We had planned too take this peak in also but I had already made my mind up that I was descending there and then. I was tired and hungry, all I wanted was out of the wind and rain. Had I not been on Ben More the other week there, I would have been ignorant too the fact that it was getting late and just gone for the summit anyway. Not today, I had no problem with saying "No". I'll get her and Arthur very soon.

Had we done Narnain we would have been an hour late and would have been walking back in the dark.

We descended into the valley, which was steep but it wasn't overly noticebale as I remember, and followed the faint trace of a path, muddy and boggy but we were making good time. We eventually reached the forrest track and began the long and sore walk out. It was still pouring of rain and my mood was low, I felt glad my dad was with me too keep my spirits up. Im sure the feeling was mutual.

After long, we were at the Ben Vane start point and soon we were back at Inveruglas. A fairly long and painful descent but a very enjoyable day out. I won't realise how much I did enjoy it for a few days when I begin too miss the hills again.

Those Arrochar Munro's may be small in size but their complex terrain and wild nature make them as big as anywhere in the country.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Re: Welcome to Arrochar !

Postby kinley » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:17 pm

I'm glad we started early round at the Rest and be Thankful - weather was reasonable before noon (well - decent by the standards of 2011 :? ).

Good just to be out :)
kinley

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:28 pm

kinley wrote:I'm glad we started early round at the Rest and be Thankful - weather was reasonable before noon (well - decent by the standards of 2011 :? ).

Good just to be out :)

Yeah I can deal with cloud and clag but once the rain and wind blow in it just gets annoying, even if its tolerable.

Nothing compared too the weather on Ben More back in Sept right enough !

Always good too be out mate ;)
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby Graeme D » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:10 pm

SouthernUplandKing wrote:I had been out for a few beers last night and ended up in bed way later than I should have been, lets just say I got about 4 hours sleep and when I woke my head was still pretty sore.

You been taking a leaf out of Bod's book?????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good read SUK. I seriously need to get out more in Arrochar. Had a long standing plan to do a late afternoon ascent of Narnain and Arthur with a wildcamp somewhere up in the high bealach before doing Ime and Luibhean the next morning. One day! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:46 pm

Graeme Dewar wrote:
SouthernUplandKing wrote:I had been out for a few beers last night and ended up in bed way later than I should have been, lets just say I got about 4 hours sleep and when I woke my head was still pretty sore.

You been taking a leaf out of Bod's book?????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good read SUK. I seriously need to get out more in Arrochar. Had a long standing plan to do a late afternoon ascent of Narnain and Arthur with a wildcamp somewhere up in the high bealach before doing Ime and Luibhean the next morning. One day! :D

Maybe I have been using this site too much :lol: !

Cheers Graeme. When you do head out, let me know as I would be happy too join you !

I can't seem too get a decent view from a Munro at the moment. Infact I think 4 of my past 5 trips have been in terrential rain and low cloud. And then the next day has been sunny ! Happy Days :D
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby Graeme D » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:53 pm

SouthernUplandKing wrote:Cheers Graeme. When you do head out, let me know as I would be happy too join you !

No worries. Don't hold yer breath though. It's no imminent. I have a lengthy to-do list :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:00 pm

Graeme Dewar wrote:
SouthernUplandKing wrote:Cheers Graeme. When you do head out, let me know as I would be happy too join you !

No worries. Don't hold yer breath though. It's no imminent. I have a lengthy to-do list :lol:

Apologies If I do it between now and when you do it then :lol:

My list is also getting longer !
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland