Stay at home
Scotland is under national lockdown. People are asked to stay at home except for essential purposes.
Click for details
First Solo - Ben More and no more today
by StephenT » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:51 pm
Munros included on this walk: Ben More
Date walked: 24/10/2011
Time taken: 5.5 hours
Distance: 8.5 km
Ascent: 1035mRegister or Login free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).
So as I was only up here for 2 days I thought I'd have a go at Ben More and Stob Binnein today and see how the weather was as I went on.
I parked up in the layby and the weather forecast was right, it was raining and the cloud was low, but only a light breeze, so waterproofs on and away I went.
Back up the A85 to the little sign and over the stile, follow the track as it winds its way up hill and through the gate. From here I wish I had seen PollyH advice to go around Ben More and up between the two. But no, I followed the WH route advice, picked a line and headed up the slope, its very steep, was very wet/boggy/slippery and goes on like that for what seems like forever.Occasionally bits of a track are visible but the higher you go the more obvious the track becomes.
At about 750m I entered the clouds and that was the last i saw of more than 30m in front of me for the rest of the day until i came back down.
The wind at this point was just a breeze, with the occasional gust but causing no problems. My biggest problem was the waterproofing on my coat not been waterproof to Scottish standards i was getting wet
After a quick lunch break under an angled rock at around 930m I struggled on until i reached the top, this is where the last bit of the weather forecast was right. The winds where very strong and gusty -I was struggling to stay upright, so after a very quick summit photo I decided to abandon Stob Binnein as the wind was coming from that direction and retreat back the way I came.
Coming up the slope was hard work but going back was just as difficult, wet, slippery and boggy. Eventually i came out of the clouds and after a very long 5.5 hours & falling over a few times I was back at the car, very wet.
After drying out the sun came out for a bit and i could see where I'd been!!
by pigeon » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:10 pm
by StephenT » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:18 pm
The problem with living so far away and getting up to Scotland only occasionally is the desire to reach the top and have something to show for you're effort and balancing that with common sense on when to turn back.
by LeithySuburbs » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:28 pm
by pollyh33 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:29 pm
I did these two in ideal conditions and it was still a bit of a slog
I was out yesterday on Meall Ghaordaidh (report to follow) and the winds were horrendous!!!
As for your jacket, definitely go for Goretex / event type of thing. I bought a Haglofs jacket two months ago and was assured that their own (eco-friendly) waterproof/breathability system was ideal- it wasn't!!! Took it back and got the same jacket but the Goretex version ( had to put another £170) and its been fab!
Hope you get back up to Scotland soon
by Bod » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:30 pm
by SouthernUplandKing » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:48 pm
The ridge going up the other side of the corrie looks interesting and when I go back that will definatley be my route of choice !
Nice report though mate !
- Munro compleatist
- Posts: 580
- Joined: Mar 1, 2011
- Location: Broadford Skye
by davetherave » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:12 am
by MG1976 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:29 pm
I tackled it the very same day with my eldest son (4) and it was not a nice day to be taking on this beast.
We opted to take the landrover track all the way up the glen, but not too long after taking to the hillside proper, my boy ended our attack in one short, but very clear sentence.
"Dad, can we just go home? I don't want to climb mountains today. It's too wet and too I don't like the wind."
I couldn't argue with that, and didn't see the point in trying to worse him up a hill when he wasn't enjoying it.
We tried, and "bailed". No shame in that.
Anyway, glad you managed to keep going.
by StephenT » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:42 pm
I think I might met you at Crianlarich Youth Hostel the night before?
I'm sure that if either of my sons were with me i would have heard
and they are 14 & 17!MG1976 wrote:"Dad, can we just go home? I don't want to climb mountains today. It's too wet and too I don't like the wind."
by MG1976 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:24 pm
We we're indeed staying there on Sunday night.
Walkhighlands community forum is advert free
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?