walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Oh Deer! I'm Not Taking A Bullet For A Lyon!

Oh Deer! I'm Not Taking A Bullet For A Lyon!

by pollyh33 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:14 pm

Route description: Meall Ghaordaidh from Glen Lochay

Munros included on this walk: Meall Ghaordaidh

Date walked: 24/10/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Oh Deer! I'm Not Taking A Bullet For A Lyon!

Postby spiderman » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:05 pm

Jock Nimlin was the ultimate hard man of the hills. In 1936 he spent New Year's night with 4 others under the Shelter Stone in the Cairngorms in sub zero temperatures. His four companions were encased in eiderdown sleeping bags and Jock slept in a coat and sweaters. True, his teeth were chattering when he awoke but he had enjoyed 8 hours' sleep and 4 other teeth were chattering in unison. Jock loved the hills and by the age of 29 he had been up Ben lomond 100 times which is equivalent to 11 times the height of Mount Everest. he says ''I suppose you may think that even Ben Lomond must get dull with repitition. well my answer to that is the feeling i had when I reached the summit for the hundreth time. I felt the same thrill as when I reached it for the first time, 14 years ago. All themountains of the Highlands seem to rise up in welcome. On that first climb they were strangers to me but now they are old friends''.
Jock Nimlin and a comfort blanket! I dont think so :lol: :lol: :lol:
spiderman
Rambler

Postby Frogwell » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:06 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Frogwell,

You're bananas!!!

I have seen someone slip on a banana skin and you would have been impressed at the height and distance that they achieved :lol:

So this microlight thingy, does it just hold one person or can it take passengers also??? hint hint :lol:

Cheers for fabbie photos. I can honestly say I saw nothing resembling their magnificence :( :(

I only have a single seat in my flying machine at the moment. I did have two but my airstrip is pretty short, and while it is technically long enough to take off with passengers it wouldn't be very much fun with a sudden downdraught on the climb out (fairly common) or with an engine failure on take off (I'm on my third now).

That said, I do get my annual aircraft inspection and pilots license revalidation done in Strathaven which is quite near you. They have a proper, long runway with no sheep and cows on it, maybe next time I'm down I'll let you know.
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:265   Corbetts:100
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:25 pm

That would be fabbie. I used to work in Stonehouse hospital which is really near there!

I promise that no more scones, giant or otherwise will pass my lips! Small bananas only from now on!!! :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:30 pm

spiderman wrote:Jock Nimlin was the ultimate hard man of the hills. In 1936 he spent New Year's night with 4 others under the Shelter Stone in the Cairngorms in sub zero temperatures. His four companions were encased in eiderdown sleeping bags and Jock slept in a coat and sweaters. True, his teeth were chattering when he awoke but he had enjoyed 8 hours' sleep and 4 other teeth were chattering in unison. Jock loved the hills and by the age of 29 he had been up Ben lomond 100 times which is equivalent to 11 times the height of Mount Everest. he says ''I suppose you may think that even Ben Lomond must get dull with repitition. well my answer to that is the feeling i had when I reached the summit for the hundreth time. I felt the same thrill as when I reached it for the first time, 14 years ago. All themountains of the Highlands seem to rise up in welcome. On that first climb they were strangers to me but now they are old friends''.
Jock Nimlin and a comfort blanket! I dont think so :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like a cool guy! I'm sure I've seen a plaque with his name on it quite near Carbeth on the WHW. I'll dig out some photos and see if I can find it!

Thanks for info Spiderman. Just out of interest.... why Spiderman? Didn't you say you were a hardened mountain man??? :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Postby dooterbang » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:01 pm

A flasher in Rutherglen :shock:

That soup looks yummy.

Oh nice TR for what is a lump of a hill.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:40 pm

dooterbang wrote:A flasher in Rutherglen :shock:

That soup looks yummy.

Oh nice TR for what is a lump of a hill.

Thanks Paul.

Think you've reached the age when you're going to need spex! The flasher was in Buchany- not Rutherglen!!

Although if you're keen the lane between the old post office and the town hall used to be littered with flashers!!! :lol:

PS I was going to ask you about Woodsy's NYC marathon but I found him lurking in 'General Discussion' !!
pollyh33
Walker

Postby MarilynMunro » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:52 pm

Another cracking report Polly, but Im curious what could you have done that the Landrover types didn't warn you about the shootin' :lol:
Congrats on bagging this hill, and your perserverance is a great example to all.
Know what you mean about "turning left or right", when I'm out and about Im always trying to figure out which scenery I enjoy most( probably all of it really). I was up the rest and be thankful last week and nearly mowed down some Dutch army types walking along the side of the road as I veered all over the place with head out the window. :lol:
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby jstalker66621 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:50 pm

Very good report Polly...like the humour muchly indeed...but what is THAT sitting atop your rucksack???
jstalker66621
Mountaineer

Munros:257   Corbetts:6

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:17 am

MarilynMunro wrote:Another cracking report Polly, but Im curious what could you have done that the Landrover types didn't warn you about the shootin' :lol:
Congrats on bagging this hill, and your perserverance is a great example to all.
Know what you mean about "turning left or right", when I'm out and about Im always trying to figure out which scenery I enjoy most( probably all of it really). I was up the rest and be thankful last week and nearly mowed down some Dutch army types walking along the side of the road as I veered all over the place with head out the window. :lol:

Thanks MM, aye sometimes I'm a wee bit slow on the uptake :lol:

As for your Dutch boys, one of the other walkers- Davgil met them on the Cobbler, ?same day Tooled up on the Cobbler!

I wonder if they joined the army thinking they would be training in one of the former Dutch colonies like Mauritius and ended up in Scotland! :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:23 am

jstalker66621 wrote:Very good report Polly...like the humour muchly indeed...but what is THAT sitting atop your rucksack???

Thanks John,

That's munro monkey!!!

And before you say anything .....Jeely McBaby (oops went all Glaswegian there!) Jelly McBaby???? :lol: Which by the way I have still to enjoy the remnants of !!!
pollyh33
Walker

Postby jstalker66621 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:36 am

Jelly McBaby is not for eating...any more than Munro Monkey would be!!! Though it is possible that you can nibble on a few of his less salubrious relatives instead...pink/yellow/green or red for instance!!
jstalker66621
Mountaineer

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:41 am

jstalker66621 wrote:Jelly McBaby is not for eating...any more than Munro Monkey would be!!! Though it is possible that you can nibble on a few of his less salubrious relatives instead...pink/yellow/green or red for instance!!

So do you buy a bag of regular jelly babies, carefully select the Anointed Orange One, and chuck away all the other inferior coloured ones???

Please tell me you don't go for a Pick and Mix and buy one jelly baby???? :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Postby jstalker66621 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:18 am

pollyh33 wrote: So do you buy a bag of regular jelly babies, carefully select the Anointed Orange One, and chuck away all the other inferior coloured ones???

Please tell me you don't go for a Pick and Mix and buy one jelly baby???? :lol:

Like Highlander...there can be only one!!! Anything else is an inferior imposter...certainly not as rugged and weather beaten as the original 8)
jstalker66621
Mountaineer

Postby Redrock » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:55 pm

I missed your report first time round, Polly, and I have to say you made a great report of a claggy day! :D. It made me laugh! And you did well to avoid the stalkers - you wouldn't want to have that new jacket spoiled! :lol: Let me reassure you that Mrs Redrock successfully avoided all the bogs on MG when we climbed it in the spring. And I have to say I really enjoyed this hill - especially above about 800 metres when it did develop some character. And I hate to say it - but there are great views up there on a clear day! :) It's a great cairn shelter too isn't it - it must be needed most of the time! :lol: Thanks!
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:49 pm

Redrock wrote:I missed your report first time round, Polly, and I have to say you made a great report of a claggy day! :D. It made me laugh! And you did well to avoid the stalkers - you wouldn't want to have that new jacket spoiled! :lol: Let me reassure you that Mrs Redrock successfully avoided all the bogs on MG when we climbed it in the spring. And I have to say I really enjoyed this hill - especially above about 800 metres when it did develop some character. And I hate to say it - but there are great views up there on a clear day! :) It's a great cairn shelter too isn't it - it must be needed most of the time! :lol: Thanks!

Cheers Redrock,

Pleased to hear Mrs RR didn't have to make an early departure on this one! Its funny how some images stay with you, especially when you're out on your own :lol:

Glad you got some views from the top, it certainly makes you day :D :D
pollyh33
Walker

17 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland