walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bla Bheinn - with the dogs

Bla Bheinn - with the dogs

Postby Redrock » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:56 pm

Route description: Blà Bheinn (Blaven)

Munros included on this walk: Blà Bheinn

Date walked: 18/09/2011

Time taken: 5.8 hours

Distance: 8.3 km

Ascent: 976m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We were on a family weekend on Skye and of course the Munros were beckoning. There were going to be four dogs in the party - Patch, Josh, Ted and Toby - so their needs had to be taken into account as we selected our mountain. We decided on Bla Bheinn as possibly being less rocky. My son, Matt, reckoned he could find a route up the mountain that would be a bit gentler on the dogs' feet. Not being a dog owner, I accepted his judgement and we all set off via Broadford on the Torrin road, heading for Bla Bheinn.

Our first view of the mountain was shrouded in cloud - but it still looked impressive with it's great buttresses rising high above Loch Slapin.

P1070868.JPG
Bla Bhienn across Loch Slapin from Torrin

We parked in the excellent car park at the foot of Allt na Dunaichce and were soon walking up the path towards Bla Bheinn.

P1070872.JPG
On the path by Allt na Dunaiche

Soon we could feel the mountain's towering presence closing in above us. :shock:

P1070873.JPG
The east ridge of Bla Bheinn with Clach Glas

We then turned south-west up into Coire Uaigneich. It had been a steady climb all the way, so far.

P1070876.JPG
In Coire Uaibneich

Our original plan was to continue south-west or even south to try to find grassy slopes up onto the south-east ridge to make it a bit easier on the dogs. But our momentum (and the path) took us forward and we found ourselves scrabbling up rocky slopes onto the ridge, just north of a small lochan. The views towards Rhum were astounding! :D

P1070877.JPG
Rhum from the south east ridge of Bla Bheinn

We took a breather - and so did the dogs!

P1070880.JPG
A breather on the south-east ridge!

From there it was a steady climb up on steep loose rocks - some 340 metres to the summit! Matt's friend James is leading the way!

P1070883.JPG
Up the South-East Ridge of Bla Bheinn

There was a path of sorts but great care was needed in places where the rocks were very loose. The dogs coped amazingly - with a little encouragement and help from their owners. We arrived at the South Top of Bla Bheinn just as the cloud was beginning to clear and we settled in a sheltered spot to have a bite of lunch.

P1070889.JPG
Myself, James, Roger and Matt with the dogs about!

The astute amongst you will have realised by now that I had come all this way and was still not at the summit of a Munro, the South Top being 4 metres lower than the summit. James and Roger, Matt's father-in-law, weren't too bothered about bagging the Munro - but I couldn't come all this way and not do it! The only trouble was that there was an awkward scramble down maybe 30 metres before the climb up to the true summit. I wasn't too sure of finding the way in the mist! :? Fortunately the cloud cleared as we were having our lunch and the summit appeared. It looked so near - but there was a bit of work to do to get there! :D

P1070888.JPG
The summit of Bla Bheinn from the South Top

There was either a scramble down, along a rocky ledge and then down again to the col or there was a scramble down a stony chute.

P1070905.JPG
The ledge and the stony chute

I chose the ledge - I prefer solid rock! :) Matt had decided to join me, along with Patch, and the stony chute proved the better route for them - especially for Patch! :-P

We were soon down and the way up to the summit was now straightforward.

P1070904.JPG
To the summit of Bla Bheinn

There were some great views looking down from our lofty path.

P1070893.JPG
Loch an Athain from Bla Bheinn

And soon were were at the true summit of Bla Bheinn. 8)

P1070895.JPG
The Summit of Bla Bheinn

Now, we had to get back and join the rest of the team at the South Top again! So Matt and Patch tackled the stony shoot again and I took once more to the ledge. When I took the photo it seemed that Patch had changed his mind and was heading back down :lol: - but soon they were back up at the top! :D

P1070903.JPG
Matt and Patch on the climb - with the ledge to the right

At the top it was time to catch a breath before heading down the mountain. The scramble had been fun! :D

P1070906.JPG
Matt and Patch - after the climb

We met up with James and Roger who had been waiting patiently! :)

P1070891.JPG
Waiting patiently!

Despite being in sunshine the cloud was just too near for us to see the Cuillin the west of us. That was the only disappointment of the day - but I will just have to go back another day to see the views of the Cuillin from Bla Bhienn! :lol:

P1070892.JPG
Hidden views

So we headed back down the South-East Ridge.

P1070907.JPG
Down the South-East Ridge of Bla Bheinn

Admiring the countryside below us.

P1070908.JPG
Loch Slapin from the South-East Ridge of Bla Bheinn

And taking care on the very steep stony descent.

P1070911.JPG
Descending the South-East Ridge

We were soon back at the lochan on the level part of the ridge.

P1070914.JPG
Back at the lochan

We headed a bit east to try to find grassy slopes for the dogs to descend. It was a bit easier underfoot - but very steep in places. The dogs were fine on it though! :D

P1070915.JPG
Ready for the steep slope!

The dogs did great - and coped well even on the rocky ground. I think they enjoyed their day out on the hills! :-P

P1070919.JPG
With the dogs in Coire Uaigneich

Now I rate Bla Bheinn as one of my favourite Munros. :D Its a great mountain and it was a near perfect day to climb it! :D

P1070924.JPG
Bla Bheinn from Allt na Dunaiche
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Bla Bheinn - with the dogs

Postby dogplodder » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:36 pm

Great report and helpful to me as Bla Bheinn is on my to do list and I always wonder what the terrain would be like for dogs. :D Collies are very nimble but hopefully my two could manage this. If food is involved they'd manage! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby LeithySuburbs » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:37 pm

Nice report :) . I also had a perfect (but hot) day for this in April but hated the descent :? .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby ndhudson » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:55 pm

Really enjoyed this one, Redrock! Gorgeous photo of the East Rigde!!! Unfortunately that's the only side I've seen. We were going to do this hill during our last visit to Skye, but the weather didn't cooperate, go figure :roll: Thanks for showing us what we missed!
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby Redrock » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:28 am

dogplodder wrote:Great report and helpful to me as Bla Bheinn is on my to do list and I always wonder what the terrain would be like for dogs. :D Collies are very nimble but hopefully my two could manage this. If food is involved they'd manage! :lol:

Hi dogplodder, I'm not sure if I would recommend the stony chute from the South Top for all dogs. It's quite awkward. My son had to keep Patch right a few times - and he's a dog that likes scrambling! I think it would be worth checking out the Walkhighlands route which climbs up the south side of the east ridge, I think. Maybe there's a dog owner out there who has some experience of it - with their dog, of course! :lol:
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Postby Redrock » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:33 am

ndhudson wrote:Really enjoyed this one, Redrock! Gorgeous photo of the East Rigde!!! Unfortunately that's the only side I've seen. We were going to do this hill during our last visit to Skye, but the weather didn't cooperate, go figure :roll: Thanks for showing us what we missed!

Aye, "nd", what's new about the weather not cooperating in Scotland! :lol: But look at it this way, that makes it even more precious when it does! :D And I still didn't see the Cuillin from Bla Bheinn - so I'll have to go back someday too! 8)
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Postby dogplodder » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:46 am

Redrock wrote:Hi dogplodder, I'm not sure if I would recommend the stony chute from the South Top for all dogs. It's quite awkward. My son had to keep Patch right a few times - and he's a dog that likes scrambling! I think it would be worth checking out the Walkhighlands route which climbs up the south side of the east ridge, I think. Maybe there's a dog owner out there who has some experience of it - with their dog, of course! :lol:

Thanks Redrock. I hadn't immediately twigged this wasn't the WH route. I'll have to leave this one for next year now so will do my homework in the meantime. Those collies were great - especially Patch managing that stony chute. The rock is hard on their paws putting me in mind of the protective boots I saw police dogs wearing in Northern Ireland - very cute they looked too. :roll:
dogplodder

Postby monty » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:14 am

Nice report Dogplodder. This was my first taste of sky munros and we had excellent weather for it. Blazing sunshine. Looks like the dogs are enjoying themselves. :D
monty

Postby dogplodder » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:24 am

monty wrote:Nice report Dogplodder. This was my first taste of sky munros and we had excellent weather for it. Blazing sunshine. Looks like the dogs are enjoying themselves. :D

Nice of you to give me the credit Monty but this was Redrock's report! :lol: :lol:
dogplodder

Postby monty » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:25 am

Sorry redrock. I have been commenting upon too many dog reports and got confused :lol:
monty

Postby Bod » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:44 pm

:D Hi Redrock, enjoyed your read and your pictures. Well done to yourself and Matt getting to the summit with Patch. I am sure Roger and James had a fine chill-out whilst waiting on the south top... :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland