walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glas Bheinn (and a day away from the office)

Glas Bheinn (and a day away from the office)

Postby JOHNGG » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:39 pm

Route description: Glas Bheinn from Kinlochleven

Corbetts included on this walk: Glas Bheinn (Kinlochleven)

Date walked: 28/10/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 850m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The forecast for the weekend wasn't looking good so I decided that I needed a day off work :D Having rather cleverly (?) decided to leave the most inaccessible Corbetts to last my options for a new tick are limited. However, the forecast for the west highlands offered some hope of a dry (if not sunny) day's walking so it was that I set off from Dundee just after 7.30 am heading west. However as I drove through Perth, Crieff and Crainlarich, the cloud was well down and it was not looking promising. Even worse, as I drove north from Tyndrum the rain came on - was this going to be another wet one ? Needless to say Glencoe was full of cloud and mist with no views.

My mood brightened though as I drove down the side of Loch Leven to Kinlochleven and parked up at the Car Park for the waterfall, by the white church. The top of Garbh Bheinn was almost visible and a fair bit higher than my intended hill - Glas Bheinn. Maybe I'd be lucky after all.

I set off on the Waterfall track looking out for the red marker posts with "Loch Eilde"

Glas Bheinn red markers.JPG

I was soon making my way through the woods, over the stream, up the hillside, under the powerlines, through a gate, keeping on the path straight ahead and then heading higher and skirting round the north of Meall an Doire Dharaich.

Gate and power lines.JPG

A bit of a plod on the track but the views looking behind me back down Loch Leven just kept getting better and better.

Loch Leven.JPG

Soon the Mamore Lodge landrover track was reached and then Loch Eilde Mor and my intended hill for the day, Glas Bheinn, came into view. There is a cairn just before the loch at which point I turned off the landrovertrack and onto the stalkers track leading round to the dam at the west end of the Loch.

Loch Eilde and Glas Bheinn.JPG

The track was boggy - not surprising after all snow that we had two weeks ago - but which has now melted away. At one point I did manage to slip and fall face first into the wet grass putting my hand into a drainage ditch as well - ouch. Still, no bones broken and I continued to plod along as the path rose up and around. The sun had been threatening to come out earlier but never did - but the cloud had lifted and exposed the wonderful ridges on Na Gruagaichean and Binnein Mor, reminding me I must revist the Mamores soon.

Mamores over Loch Eilde Mor.JPG

As the track rose onto Meall na Cruaidhe I cut off the stalkers path and plodded up the ridge north east to the summit of Glas Bheinn. No path that I could find but no problems either.

Glas Bheinn summit.JPG

The summit took a while to reach but once on top the views were worth the effort. It's not a very exciting hill but what a viewpoint , sitting as it does between the hills of Glencoe, Mamores, Grey corries and (once I had checked the map) those west of Loch Treig. Another Corbett "ticked" off - only 11 more to go (until the next re-measurement)

West from Glas Bheinn summit.JPG

The return journey was a simple case of retracing my steps. On the way down I noticed a number of what I initially thought were hill walkers but the lack of any colourful waterproofs - just a uniform green - tipped me off that these were probably soldiers on an exercise so I decided to give them a wide berth and stuck to the track. I was soon back on the stalkers path and even passed a mountain biker who had cycled up to about 500m , but given the state of the track I doubt it was much fun coming up ....

I got back to the car about half three which wasn't too bad. It was only when I looked in the mirror that I saw the large lump of mud on my forehead, a result of my earlier attempt to head-butt the path. No wonder I was getting some strange looks from the dog walkers in the car park !

Heading back to Dundee was most enjoyable as the cloud had lifted and I could now enjoy the views - the traffic was also not too bad. A whole bunch of Audi Quattros passed going the other way - heading towards Glencoe of Fort William I guess. Still a classic looking car. Didn't notice if Gene Hunt was driving any of them !

Got back to Dundee just after six. A round trip of 240 miles and a ten and a half hour day - just to climb a grassy lump in the middle of nowhere . Wouldn't change it for anything .... :lol:
JOHNGG

Munros:282   Corbetts:216
Donalds:7

Re: Glas Bheinn (and a day away from the office)

Postby ndhudson » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:10 am

JOHNGG wrote:A round trip of 240 miles and a ten and a half hour day - just to climb a grassy lump in the middle of nowhere . Wouldn't change it for anything .... :lol:

I find that climbing grassy lumps in the middle of nowhere
tends to lead to a smaller lump round the middle of me. :shock: :lol:

Glad you found somewhere to walk that day...great report JohnGG!
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby kinley » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:13 am

It is a rather fine viewpoint 8) We paired it with the neighbouring Graham.

The weather is proving particularly fractious this autumn :(

I see your remaining corbetts are becoming ever more inaccessible ;) :lol:
kinley

Postby ChrisW » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:47 am

Great report John, you can't beat a good face down fall on a wet day :lol: glad there were no ill effects. You managed to get some nice photos in very difficult conditions too, I love the view along loch leven :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby JOHNGG » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:49 pm

ChrisW and ndhudson - thanks for your comments. I was glad I made the effort to get out on Friday and not just because it was another "tick" on the Corbett list.

Kinley - I know what you mean about my remaining Corbetts being inaccessible - I guess I may struggle to get to the Outer Hebrides (Clisham) Caithness & Sutherland (Ben Loyal) and the middle of Knoydart (Ben Aden) on my usual day trip from Dundee. I see your remaining Corbetts are much more sensible and accessible. Fancy a swap ? :lol:
JOHNGG

Munros:282   Corbetts:216
Donalds:7

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland