walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Storr. Can anyone help with the panorama?

The Storr. Can anyone help with the panorama?

Postby L-Hiking » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:59 am

Fionas included on this walk: The Storr

Date walked: 29/10/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Our last day of a wonderful holiday was bright warm and cheerful, 8) So we decided to walk the gentle tourist route up to The Storr and parked along the road and there were so many cars here with lots and lots of Orientals with magnificent cameras taking pictures of every thing, even a glove on a gate post which some one had obviously lost. :shock:

I hid my pathetic little camera in my pocket and mingled with the hoards. I did manage to take quite a few pictures however and the view to the mainland was so beautiful. However I am not sure of the names of the mountains individually, other than Beinn Eighe, Siloch and Liathach are in there somewhere!!

We dont get as far North as this very often and am unsure of when i am next up as far North

Can any one identify them for me please on the following pictures? :? :?
CIMG3208.JPG
This view of the mainland is taken from opposite The Old Man looking towards the mainland taking a line from the Old Man to the north most tip of the Island of Rona. What is the mountain to the left? An Teallach?
CIMG3210.JPG
A distant picture looking towards Torridon
CIMG3221.JPG
A closer picture looking towards Torridon

Yes I know I need a better Camera!! :lol:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Re: The Storr. Can anyone help with the panorama?

Postby monty » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:37 pm

Hi Luvhiking,
Well your first picture is probably looking to the North East and capturing corbetts a plenty and lots of sea. You are looking in the direction of the North east with A'Mhaighdean and Ruadh Stac Mor in the Fisherfields and An Teallach but probably over the horizon and indistinguishable due to the fact that they are 60kms from your view point.

In the bottom picture I think Maol Chean Dearg in the middle of the photo and the highest peak on the left is Mullach an Rathain on Liathach but dont quote me :lol:
monty

Postby kinley » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:26 pm

Paul and Helen should be expert in this - they used to live at Flodigarry.

The first pic - I think your left hand hill is probably Beinn Ghobhlach at Ullapool.

The last one is (from the left) Sgurr Mor and Tom na Gruagaich then Beinn Eighe, then Mullach an Rathain with Sgur Dubh and Sgurr an Lochain Uaine on the right.
kinley

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:52 pm

Always nice to see those views again :D Definitely it's Beinn Alligin on the left in the bottom pic - Sgurr Mor is always easiest to recognise as a dome, then Beinn Eighe further back and Mullach an Rathain in the centre.

Top pic - I think I agree with Kinley. That may be An Teallach poking up on the right; between that and Ghobhlach it looks like Sail Mhor appearing left behind Beinn a'Chaisgein Beag to me. But not 100% certain.

On a perfect day (i.e. about 4 times since the dawn of time) I've seen Suilven very clearly from the road round the top of Trotternish.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby L-Hiking » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:25 pm

Monty, Kinley, Paul

Thank You
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland