walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairngorms 5 day high-level backpacking

Cairngorms 5 day high-level backpacking

Postby amaciejk » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:01 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Bhùird, Beinn a' Chaorainn (Cairngorms), Ben Avon, Ben Macdui, Braeriach, Cairn Gorm, Cairn Toul, Sgòr an Lochain Uaine

Date walked: 12/09/2011

Time taken: 31 hours

Distance: 68 km

Ascent: 3965m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I don't have amazing photos for this report but thought some of the info might be useful for others thinking of a similar trip. We had planned to go to Knoydart, but Hurricane Katia meant heading eastwards would be a more sensible option. My 'Circerone Backpacker's Britain: Central and Southern Scottish Highlands' had a route that looked interesting/challenging: #7 The Cairngorms High Level Traverse. Despite preferring OS maps, the dearth of anywhere selling 1:25k tuff maps and the route being across 2 sheets meant we went for the Harvey's Cairngorms 1:40k.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Day 1: Linn of Dee to Quoich Water
6.0 miles, 3 hours

After driving up from Kendal this was only a short afternoon walk. The river at NO080947 required a boots off style ford, but was quite tame. We stayed on the north side of Quoich Water through the woods where there was a good path all the way. There were several good places to camp, we chose somewhere around NO104957 to be as far through the woods as possible. Went for an evening stroll to check out the ford ahead. Spotted one other tent, likely a Hilleberg Akto, but no inhabitant.

IMGP0126.JPG
Glen Quoich

Day 2: Quoich Water to 872 spot height (NJ070007) via Ben Avon and Beinn A'Bhuird
9.3 miles, 7 hours

IMGP0130.JPG
Fording Quoich Water

The morning ford was a bit wetter than the previous day; trousers were rolled up past our knees. Motorway path above and then crossing the river up to The Sneck. Conditions got wetter and windier the higher we climbed. Very blustery on top of Ben Avon, it was a hands and knees job for me. Pretty miserable climbing over Beinn A'Bhuird, we were wet through.

DSCF3832.JPG
The Sneck

DSCF3835.JPG
Ben Avon summit

As we were now a half day offset from the stops suggested in the book we had a high camp next to a small tarn in the middle of a boggy moorland plateau at NJ070007. This was the only dryish spot we could find and it was not at all sheltered. Tents held up to the wind but M didn't sleep well due to noise and flapping.

Day 3: 872 spot height to Fords of Avon Refuge via Beinn a'Chaorainn
3.8 miles, 4 hours

After getting wet through the day before and not a great night's sleep we were mostly thinking of bailing out. A plan was made to exit via Beinn Bhreac. However Beinn a'Chaorainn looked so close and the sun was shining so this turned into "let's just quickly do this one also" to "we might as well take our bags and see how it goes". It was very windy on top but excellent views for the first time.

IMGP0140.JPG
Fords of Avon from the slopes of Beinn a'Chaorainn

It was a quick descent to the Lairig an Laoigh. The river at NJ042028 was jumpable but then came the fun of the Avon ford. This was a full trousers off, leaning into walking poles, facing up stream, carefully placing feet affair. After the cold of the river and with rain forecast in the afternoon the newly refurbished refuge was just too tempting. The optional out-and-back Munros mentioned in the guide book were not given much consideration! We spent the afternoon reading, watching the world and weather go by and hoping no bedraggled walkers turned up who really needed the shelter. 3 people walked past but no-one stopped. Only visitor was the resident vole in the entrance way.

DSCF3847.JPG
Fords of Avon refuge

Day 4: Fords of Avon Refuge to high camp beneath Braeriach via Cairngorm & Ben Macdui
8.8 miles, 9 hours

IMGP0144.JPG
Loch Avon

This was a great day with glorious weather. Loch Avon was very beautiful and atmospheric. We were a bit overwhelmed with the number of people on top of Cairngorm. G was mocked for expecting an actual 'handrail' around Coire an t-Sneachda; navigational term mentioned in the guide book. Took in Cairn Lochan which was much quieter than the more famous mountains. Massive DoE gold training group on top of Ben Macdui. Stunning views esp. towards the Braeriach ridge, the next day's route.

IMGP0150.JPG
Braeriach ridge from Ben Macdui

Not sure we found the 'easy' way down to the Lairig Ghru, it was steep and bouldery. The book suggests camping near the Garbh Coire (ruined?) bothy but we wanted to save height loss and get ahead given the long route and bad forecast for the next day. Therefore we crossed the Dee at NN974997 (jumpable) and took the direct and steep option to a high camp at NH967000. It wasn't totally flat or dry here, but it was a good sheltered spot. Amazing views down the Lairig Ghru before the clouds rolled in during the evening.

IMGP0161.JPG
Lairig Ghru from high camp beneath Braeriach

Day 5: High camp beneath Braeriach to Linn of Dee via Braeriach ridge and Corrour bothy
14.5 miles, 8 hours

Woke up in a cloud. Very wet and windy on the ridge and visibility so poor we resorted to compass bearings using the steering with two people technique. I was feeling pretty down and took some determination to take in all 3 Munros. Braeriach, Sgor an Lochain Uaine & Cairn Toul all looked the same in these conditions. Difficult boulders around the Cairn Toul summit. Met one person coming the opposite way who was staying at Corrour and doing the ridge as a day walk. We had a majority decision not to take in The Devil's Point as the weather was so miserable and no views anyway.

DSCF3869.JPG
Lovely views

Lunch in Corrour Bothy before the long walk out. The bothy was clean, tidy and dry; one other backpacker having lunch within. Old bridge over the Dee and easy path skirting round Carn a'Mhaim. At Luibeg decided to head straight for the bridge rather than hoping the river was crossable. Very muddy on the far side. Jealous of those with mountain bikes at Derry Lodge, the distance was starting to get to me. Shame to see the Lodge boarded up and seemingly unused, I think it would make a great remote bunkhouse. Passed loads of (inappropriately attired) DoE groups heading in; where were they going? and how heavy and wet would they be with those tracksuit bottoms and trainer-like boots?!

DSCF3873.JPG
Corrour bothy

Happily back at the car and off to Braemar Hostel to dry out. Tasty dinner at The Gathering Place Bistro, highly recommended.

Lessons learnt: Soft shell trousers alone are not good enough for wet weather multi-day backpacking!

Overall: This was an excellent and wild-feeling route requiring a fair amount of commitment. As the book says, pick a period of settled weather. Care with the fords is needed and some may be impassable in spate. Once in the Loch Avon basin or on the Braeriach ridge escape routes are a long day's walk out.
Last edited by amaciejk on Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
amaciejk
Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:12
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   Islands:20

Re: Cairngorms 5 day high-level backpacking

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:06 pm

Hope you guys are very proud of yourselves. This is a fantastic report on a rather exhausting walk!

So pleased that there were small but significant periods of respite along the way :D

Well done :clap: :clap:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:38 pm

Great stuff amaciejk, not sure about the ' trousers off and into the river' :shock: that is determination to say the least. You caught some great views along the way and deserved better weather for your efforts :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby BethAtTheHug » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:47 pm

Cracking adventure with much adversity, well done for sticking with it!
BethAtTheHug
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   
Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:04 pm

Great report,looks like you needed more than a little steely determination to complete the whole walk. Maybe take some snorkelling gear for the river crossings next time. :)
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:43   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:28

Postby Bod » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:02 pm

Superb effort, well done. I think the time is nearing for me to revisit much of the Cairngorms and visit one or two spots for the first time too! :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:18 pm

Nice report. Good to see wildlife is recolonising the Fords of Avon refuge so soon after the rebuild: all those boulders were removed and replaced during the process, so the wee beastie has a new flat!
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby taylor94 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:47 pm

planing on doing them in november for 5 days any tips
taylor94

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:49 pm

Sorry amaciejk but everytime I see the title of this walk I keep reading it as 'high-heeled backpacking' !!!

Dyslexia meets old age !!!!
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby amaciejk » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:37 pm

hi guys, thanks for all the replies, some really made me laugh! i hope i didn't make the trip sound too arduous, it was fun really!

@taylor94
planning on doing this in nov seems brave! i wonder when the snow will start... i think picking settled weather and after a dryish spell (for the river levels) would be good, if you have that flexibility. walking poles and sandals/wet suit boots really help with the fords. the car parking at linn of dee is national trust members or what i read as an optional donation. make sure your tent holds up to the wind; we had never camped so high before, it seemed amazing to us to be camping at 872m (the height of high lakes summits) and still be surrounded by munros.

apart from the fords the most difficult bits were probably: 1) the steep bouldery pathless route from ben macdui down to the lairig ghru, no idea where the 'easy' route was even in sun, 2) the rocky boulderfields surrounding cairn toul's summit (esp when wet), 3) navigating in the cloud.

getting the high camp beneath braeriach really helped, otherwise the last day is long. as for all my walking/backpacking i like to go lightweight and spend all my pennies on the lightest gear. and don't forget the whisky!
amaciejk
Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   Islands:20

Postby tomyboy73 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:50 pm

hi, great report and very helpful, i`m planning on doing a weekend up there soon, so may p.m you about some things
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby fatal6ert » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:11 am

Thanks for this - it has provided inspiration for a trip I hope to do when the summer turns up :clap:
fatal6ert
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:7
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland