walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fara Fawcett and Dirc Diggler meet - it is possible

Fara Fawcett and Dirc Diggler meet - it is possible

Postby kevsbald » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:37 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: The Fara

Fionas included on this walk: Meall nan Eagan

Date walked: 29/10/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 13.3 km

Ascent: 831m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

IMG_0064.JPG
Looking to the Fara from the start
What is he on about? Meall nan Eagan - hill of the possible. The Fara and the Dircs - they all meet on this route. When I told C that we'd be Dirc-hunting, he said 'for Diggler?' Hence the inane title for another walk report. We were lucky, we got as far as the summit of the Fara before the heavens opened. This little walk has been written about a few times before and it intrigued me. Meall nan Eagan is a lovely little hill with cracking views over to the Dirc Mhor - we were keen on walking through the Dirc Bheag however as an alternative to the skirting of the loch. A word of warning - do not attempt in snow conditions - you are likely to break your leg or fall into the loch itself. The pass through is awkward in places although it is a place of great solitude and I had a nice shot of the loch itself from the Dirc. Once around it, we walked passed the big Diggler and onwards and upwards to the Fara. C hadn't been out in the hills much before and near sharted when a ptarmigan flew out of nowhere with its guttural warning. On the topic of birds, I asked how his budgie was that had broken its leg - he had managed to splint it with a couple of Swan Vesta and said I should have seen its wee face until he realised he had forgotten to take the sandpaper out of its cage. At the summit, we lunched, had fleeting views down to Loch Ericht, before a rapid retreat off the hill and on to a new land rover track NE of the hill. A cracking wee day stolen before the weather gods unleashed their aqueous deluge.
IMG_0064.JPG
Looking to the Fara from the start
IMG_0068.JPG
Meall nan Eagan
IMG_0074.JPG
C in motion
IMG_0078.JPG
Looking to the Dircs
IMG_0083.JPG
Through the Dirc-hole
IMG_0086.JPG
The lonely loch
IMG_0091.JPG
Looking down the big Diggler
IMG_0092.JPG
Summit for lunch with relish
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Fara Fawcett and Dirc Diggler meet - it is possible

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:10 pm

That's an interesting-looking area, I espesh. like the wee narrow loch. Did ye happen to notice any trout in it?
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:51 pm

Fab walk! :D
Fab pics! :D
Fab jokes ???? You're going to have to up the ante before Kintail :lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby malky_c » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:04 am

I'm starting to feel like the only person who hasn't visited the Fara Dircs yet! Soon, definitely 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby kevsbald » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:18 am

Caberfeidh - I never saw any trout but I don't see why there wouldn't be - a beautiful location even just to dip your rod?

Polly - that was a great joke.

Malky - join the Dirc club!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland