walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben More fail :(

Ben More fail :(

Postby EmmaTowle » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:33 pm

Date walked: 30/10/2011

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So have been wanting to do Ben More and Stob Binnein for a few weeks now but kept putting it off. Was suffering from lazyitis but today was the day and it actually wasn't raining for a change. I was a bit late in setting off so I didn't get started till 10:50. Out on my own as usual which works well when you have lazyitis cause you don't let other folks down when you cant be bothered :)

Parked up just off the A85 near the farm and off I went.

Wandered up the farm track, got a little bit scared of the cows (I dont do well with farm animals) and after pausing for a minute I put the head down and just walked past them. Scary big things. They just stared at me and I dont like it!

Just through the gate I stopped to get a picture and to try and work out where would be a good place to start climbing the hill. As soon as I started the climb I realise just how wet and muddy the ground was. I was struggling to find a good way to go and ending up veering a lot more to the right than I would have liked.

Stopped for a few pics, on my phone as I forgot to charge my camera and it kept turning off doh. Last time no memory card, this time no battery.

I was climbing for about 45 mins when the wind started to pick up quite a bit and I considering stopping but then I looked down and thought climbing up looked a lot easier than going back down so I kept going for about another 20 minutes and then decided that I really had to stop.

I had started to get quite scared since it was so windy and it had started to rain a bit, the ground was really muddy, and I knew I had had enough. Ive always said If I'm out myself and Im worried about the conditions then I would stop so I did. I traversed over as far right of the hill as I could as it looked like the easiest way to get to flatter ground to climb back down.

Made it back to the farm track with just a few slips and was glad to be there until I got confronted by 3 rams (I really do have an issue with farm animals) Rams really scare me. We had a bit of a stand off until thankfully the good old farmer came along in his truck and they ran straight off the path.

This is my "Im annoyed I failed at the hill but Im glad to be almost back at the car" face

This is my "Im annoyed I failed at the hill but Im even more annoyed that I slipped on the farm track and fell on my chuffing arse" face

Glad to be back home safe and sound, even though I have a cracker of a bruise coming through!

Not sure I would be brave enough to give this one a go again on my own but we shall see.

Emma :)
EmmaTowle
Ambler

Munros:3   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Ben More fail :(

Postby Bod » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:41 pm

Hiya Emma, fail is not the word for it! Well done getting yourself out there! You will get up there again one fine day :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby pigeon » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:42 pm

It'a toughie sure enough Emma ,did it last week,no sure how far up you got but if you get as far as the stone dyke the path is much better ,still steep mind :lol: no keen on coo's either :(
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Fudgie » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:43 pm

If you don't feel safe then you did the right thing. My problem today was that it got a bit hairy on the descent so I had no choice but to keep on going.
Last edited by Fudgie on Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:47 pm

No need to feel you failed Emma,its a steep pull up that face,an easier route is to follow the track & Ben More burn & then climb to the bealach between Ben More & Stob Binnien,better luck the next time.

PS you got back down safe & well,thats the most imprortant part.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby weescotsman » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:49 pm

I was on the other side doing Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean and stupidly left my maps at home. Gave it a go with just the GPS but the clag kept dropping lower and lower as I got up the Inverlochlairig Glen so eventually called it a halt as well, sensible decision really given the conditions. I didn't slip at all though.... :D

Bit narked to find blue skies and sunshine in Callander though..... :(

Better luck next time to us both...............
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Postby EmmaTowle » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:58 pm

Bod wrote:Hiya Emma, fail is not the word for it! Well done getting yourself out there! You will get up there again one fine day :D

Aye some day, in the summer when the chances of mud are a little bit slimmer lol :)

pigeon wrote:It'a toughie sure enough Emma ,did it last week,no sure how far up you got but if you get as far as the stone dyke the path is much better ,still steep mind :lol: no keen on coo's either :(

I really think I was so close to it and wanted to keep going just incase but then I might have been a bit off it still.

Fudgie wrote:If you don't feel safe then you did the right thing. My problem today was that it got a bit hairy on the descent so I had no choice but to keep on going.

Climbing more deffo looked more appealing than going down.

gammy leg walker wrote:No need to feel you failed Emma,its a steep pull up that face,an easier route is to follow the track & Ben More burn & then climb to the bealach between Ben More & Stob Binnien,better luck the next time.

PS you got back down safe & well,thats the most imprortant part.

It really is steep. Ive done Stob Binnein from the other side and it didnt seem anywhere near as steep as this did.

weescotsman wrote:
Better luck next time to us both...............

Yeah Im waiting till the Summer haha :)

Thanks all :)

Emma :)
EmmaTowle
Ambler

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:59 pm

You have made my night Emma :D next time haha
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby EmmaTowle » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:04 pm

Im glad me falling on my bum has made you smile lol
EmmaTowle
Ambler

Postby smiffysmc » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:16 pm

As posted,wise move to come off the hill if you feel it's not right. The hill will still be there next time. :) I went out today and had a wee slip my self. Wet seat in the car on the way home. My mate that was with me also had a slip,his was more spectacular with flailing walking poles n all. He was like a human wind turbine !! :lol:

It's all character building.............so they tell me. :o
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Alan S » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:38 pm

Nae luck there emma better luck next time :D
EmmaTowle wrote:lazyitis

:lol: This affects me after every walk but ususally on the way home in the car where i struggle to stay awake when driving, I had to stop 4 times today on the way back from glencoe with my mate JB likes a beer but he couldnt drive as he had too many beers in the kingshouse :lol:

Good report and pics :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby EmmaTowle » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:47 pm

smiffysmc wrote:As posted,wise move to come off the hill if you feel it's not right. The hill will still be there next time. :) I went out today and had a wee slip my self. Wet seat in the car on the way home. My mate that was with me also had a slip,his was more spectacular with flailing walking poles n all. He was like a human wind turbine !! :lol:

It's all character building.............so they tell me. :o

I planned ahead and had a change of clothes in the car, although stripping off in the car next to an A road wasn't part of the plan. HGVs can see too much lol

alan s wrote:Nae luck there emma better luck next time :D
EmmaTowle wrote:lazyitis

:lol: This affects me after every walk but ususally on the way home in the car where i struggle to stay awake when driving, I had to stop 4 times today on the way back from glencoe with my mate JB likes a beer but he couldnt drive as he had too many beers in the kingshouse :lol:

Good report and pics :D

I had friends at glencoe today too. They didn't invite me. Feckers.
EmmaTowle
Ambler

Postby brpro26 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:54 pm

Possibly just as well you came back down. It might have been dark by the time you'd been to the top. Starting that late with the clock change will catch you out. Get out yer bed earlier lazy bones!!!! :lol:
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby EmmaTowle » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:57 pm

Lol I was awake at 6.30 with the 2 year old but her dad didn't get out of bed till 8.30 so let's just blame him for the late start :)
EmmaTowle
Ambler

Postby Alan S » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:01 pm

EmmaTowle wrote:I had friends at glencoe today too. They didn't invite me. Feckers.

Buggers eh, Next time we go I will give you a shout if you want :D
EmmaTowle wrote:although stripping off in the car next to an A road wasn't part of the plan. HGVs can see too much lol

I had to strip off In the middle of the glencoe ski centre car park today, Apologies to anyone eating there lunch :lol:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland