walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Echoes of fire, water and a visionary - Liathach's west end

Echoes of fire, water and a visionary - Liathach's west end

by Torridon_snails » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:46 pm

Munros included on this walk: Mullach an Rathain (Liathach)

Date walked: 13/07/2011

Time taken: 12.5 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1200m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Echoes of fire, water and a visionary - Liathach's west

Postby Oldman » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:12 pm

Utterly brilliant!! The crisp clarity of the pictures and poetry of the walk description had me rivited. I have never read a better report than this. Thank you. I think I'll just read it again and study those pics more closely.

Safe walking y'all

Oldman
Oldman
Bird-watcher

Postby MarilynMunro » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:55 pm

I wouldn't want to be you and reply to all the fitting accolades to this report, stunning, almost feel as if don't need to do this hill now...............almost.
Thanks for posting a superbly detailed and emotive report, think you could be in with a shout for some webtogs vouchers :lol:
Well done again
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Torridon_snails » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:03 pm

MarilynMunro wrote:I wouldn't want to be you and reply to all the fitting accolades to this report, stunning, almost feel as if don't need to do this hill now...............almost.
Thanks for posting a superbly detailed and emotive report, think you could be in with a shout for some webtogs vouchers :lol:
Well done again

Thanks very much. We have been very touched by the reaction and, well, embarrassed, really, when there are so many amazing reports on this site, but of course delighted to have got a prize... We weren't sure if we should reply to everyone individually - we'd like to and that's our instinct, but worried that it might look like we're trying to up the number of posts (unless of course ? We're pretty new to the forum (in fact to any fora!), so not sure what's expected...

Everyone's so friendly on this site and that's why we took the plunge and joined, so we really want to do the right thing...
Torridon_snails
Hill Bagger

Munros:22   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Torridon_snails » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:24 pm

skuk007 wrote:Excellent detailed report and great pics. When I was up in Torridon in August this year I was looking at the west end of Liathach from below Ben Alligin to see if there was a route off - looks like it is do-able, thanks. :)

Thanks very much. Yes, it was pretty do-able - quite soft in places but no exposure, which suited us! Coming down a bit further east worked better than the upward route. The river flats were surprisingly OK, although it was high summer. Anyway, you could easily contour round the steeper bits and get closer to the bridge that way.

All the best,

Daniel and Clare
Torridon_snails
Hill Bagger

Munros:22   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:2   

Postby cheekykarma » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:09 pm

:shock: just wow - these pictures are utterly astounding - fantastic

these are postcard pics and fabric prints for your walls really - an astoundingly good post

:) congrats on the report indeed - just amazed at those shots and pics
cheekykarma
Mountaineer

Munros:44   Corbetts:17
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:9   

Postby jmarkb » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:48 pm

Fantastic report! Having witnessed the immediate aftermath of the fire, I'm actually pretty encouraged to see how much the visual impact has reduced over the summer.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Graeme D » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:18 pm

It's taken me a while to get around to reading this one in any detail. Worth waiting for, and a worthy winner. :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby CUMBRIA LAD » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:49 pm

yes, great report, nice to see someone else that really gets to grips with the character of the hill rather than just completing it or the walk as many esp pro guidebook writers do
hadn't seen that view of Coire na Caime (did the traverse & Mullach in cloud) - probably my fav spot in the UK, never seen another soul there, (one of those hidden corries from the main path) really dramatic with the pinnacles above & has a quadruple buttress to outdo BE's triple, crystal clear water & sandy beach. wondered if anyone had climbed straight up to the right in your photo to access Spidean? - very steep to an obvious cleft
it's all a really great area - including Coulin, to be savoured, shame about the fire, the burnt sign in the glen really poignant
again, well done
CUMBRIA LAD
Scrambler

Munros:194   

Postby courtscotties » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:55 pm

Wow! This is a major piece of work - the detail is exemplary and the history, geography and biology detailing is ultra informative. I would like to conquer one of the Liathach Munros but my head for heights is poor so the conventional route is unlikely to be achieved by me. This may be the answer!
courtscotties
Backpacker

Munros:56   

25 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland