walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Corranaich and Meall a'Choire Leith

Meall Corranaich and Meall a'Choire Leith

Postby lomondwalkers » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:04 pm

Route description: Meall Corranaich and Meall a'Choire Lèith

Munros included on this walk: Meall a' Choire Lèith, Meall Corranaich

Date walked: 27/10/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 740m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Parked up beside the cairn at the head of Lairig an Lochain with the high tops in the clag, decided I was going to head for Choire Leith first and hope that I'd get lucky with the clag by the time I reached Corranaich. There is a path just before the parking area which soon leads to the much spoken about bogs, and boy were these bogs bogging!! Squelched my may to the intake on the Allt Gleann Da-Eig, then made a rising traverse into Coire Gorm.
PICT0001.JPG
Intake
PICT0003.JPG
Meall a'Choire Leith in clag
PICT0004.JPG
Back to Creag an Lochain

Once into Coire Gorm you descend down to cross the burn which flows down the Coire, then it's a steep pull up onto the summit of Meall a'Choire Leith.
PICT0007.JPG
The plod ahead
PICT0010.JPG
From halfway up the plod, you can just about make out the muddy path to the burn
PICT0012.JPG
Meall nan Tarmachan hiding
It's a fairly uninspiring plod to the summit, but to my right I could see the 2nd half of the walk could be a bit more interesting as Coire Liath and the ridge to Meall Corranaich came into view
PICT0021.JPG
Coire Liath & ridge
PICT0027.JPG
Meall Corranaich
Eventually the summit cairn came into view as did the Glen Lyon hills to the North & Lawers and co to the East & Southeast. Took a dodgy 360 from summit with the wee ones underwater cam, could hardly see the screen :lol: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPGMMMJEP4E[/youtube]
PICT0029.JPG
Summit cairn
From the summit, there is a well defined path that leads around the rim of Coire Liath before climbing towards the 2nd target of the day.
PICT0042.JPG
Meall Garbh & An Stuc???
PICT0044.JPG
Coire Liath

Got about halfway to Corranaich and my hopes for a clear summit were beginning to look doomed, and by the time I summited there was hee haw for seeing other than a weird rusted metal contraption on the cairn at the 1st cairn, then onto the smaller 2nd cairn
PICT0047.JPG
Heading up Corranaich
PICT0050.JPG
'view' towards summit
PICT0058.JPG
Weird metal thing on 1st cairn
PICT0063.JPG
2nd cairn

From the summit I followed the fenceline as per WH down to the bogs, which were far worse on this side than on the ascent route to Coire Leith, but with a few detours along the way I managed to escape with just one calf high soaking :lol: Once out of the summit clag, I got some fine views to accompany down 8)
PICT0070.JPG
Descent view
PICT0071.JPG
Creag an Lochain
PICT0076.JPG
Back to Meall Corranaich
PICT0080.JPG
Meall nan Tarmachan
PICT0082.JPG
Nasty bogs which I gave a wide berth!
PICT0085.JPG
Lairig an Lochain & Creag an Lochain

Despite the bogs on these, I enjoyed them more than I expected to do and in a far quicker time than I had anticipated. Another enjoyable solo half day in the hills. Hopefully I will complete the range before the snow arrives!
Last edited by lomondwalkers on Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Meall Corranaich and Meall a'Choire Leith

Postby fazerneil » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:34 pm

even the poor looking weather can't stop us wishing we were there.
fazerneil
Rambler

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:30   

Postby craighall » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:47 am

Great report, conveying that walking isn't always glamorous, but contains a sense of achievement.

Glad you seemed to have more luck avoiding the peat bogs than me.

Michael.
craighall
Mountaineer

Munros:10   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4

Postby Gavin99 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:39 am

A couple of nice views among the cloud , I was up there 2 days after you and saw nothing . The bogs are very boggy but it is still a nice wee half day out . I like the sound effects on the video ,sounds like a hurricane ! :)
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby Steve B » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:52 am

Good report. Did these in the winter a couple of years ago and so no boggy bits!
Had great views. Here's one to remind me as much as anything what we should be looking forward to :D
L1000726.JPG
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:23 pm

A super and rather timely report Dave.

Looks like I could be travelling up that way on Sunday, so thanks for all the detail and fantastic photographs :D

Still coping with all those climbs now that you're the big/ bog 40!!! :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Del246 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:34 pm

Good stuff. These are the last 2 I have on the Lawers Range and might just go there this weekend !!
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1

Postby lomondwalkers » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:39 pm

fazerneil wrote:even the poor looking weather can't stop us wishing we were there.

Hopefully when you do get here, the weather you'll get lucky with the weather! Don'y hold your breath though Fazer :lol:

craighall wrote:Great report, conveying that walking isn't always glamorous, but contains a sense of achievement.

Glad you seemed to have more luck avoiding the peat bogs than me.

Michael.

I think the hardest part of the walk was trying to avoid those bloody bogs :lol:

Gavin99 wrote:A couple of nice views among the cloud , I was up there 2 days after you and saw nothing . The bogs are very boggy but it is still a nice wee half day out . I like the sound effects on the video ,sounds like a hurricane ! :)

Despite the bogs, I quite enjoyed these two, and always good to get some views along the way :D

Steve B wrote:Good report. Did these in the winter a couple of years ago and so no boggy bits!
Had great views. Here's one to remind me as much as anything what we should be looking forward to :D
L1000726.JPG

Great pic Steve, can't wait til we are getting views like that 8)

pollyh33 wrote:A super and rather timely report Dave.

Looks like I could be travelling up that way on Sunday, so thanks for all the detail and fantastic photographs :D

Still coping with all those climbs now that you're the big/ bog 40!!! :lol:

Good luck for Sunday Pauline, mind and pack yer wellies!! :lol:
Del246 wrote:Good stuff. These are the last 2 I have on the Lawers Range and might just go there this weekend !!

You mind and pack yer wellies too then Del :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Del246 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:08 pm

Lol. Sunday's forecast looks not too bad so I might head up.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby Del246 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:53 pm

Lovelly blue skies today !

DSC01930.JPG
Summit of Meall a`Choire Leath
Del246
Munro compleatist

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland