walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aonach Eagach - two failed attemps in two days.

Aonach Eagach - two failed attemps in two days.

Postby JohnJoe » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:31 pm

Date walked: 02/11/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 1350m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Photo0194.jpg

After a very damp night in a £20 Tesco tent in Glencoe, three of us, with varying degrees of enthusiasm, set off up the valley with the intention of doing the Aonach Eagach ridge. We overshot the starting point by about 1k so had to trudge back for about half an hour over rough ground before really starting the walk. By the time we got to the top of Am Bodach we were all pretty soaked to the skin with a combination of the relentless highland rain and sweat. Given the general exhaustion, terrible visibility, not many hours of daylight left and borderline hypothermia in one of us, we decided to abort. After a brief moment of panic on the top when I lost my bearings in the mist, we descended the same way we came up. The streams had become deafening, raging torrents, although the wetter we got the less it seemed to matter if we fell in.

We warmed up in the car with a few cans of beer and I consoled myself with the fact that I had at least climbed a munro. It was only afterwards that I discovered that Am Bodach is only a 'subsidiary munro top'.

The next day we tried again, this time from the other end of the ridge - Sgorr nam Fiannaidh. We climbed for two hours up steep sides and over all kinds of surfaces, but we had set off late (again) and the clocks had gone back, so we had one hour less. Not wanting to stumble back down the scree in the dark, we again decided to stop.

Altogether a disappointing trip. Lessons learned: get up and set off earlier, buy a gortex jacket which overlaps your trousers, and don't ever sleep in a £20 Tesco tent in the highlands!

Photo0179.jpg
It's a lot steeper than it looks!

Photo0198.jpg

Photo0203.jpg
My favourite campsite
JohnJoe
Walker

Munros:30   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:14   

Re: Aonach Eagach - two failed attemps in two days.

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:37 pm

Lessons learned indeed JohnJoe!

I'm quite new to this hillwalking malarkey too and everytime I venture out I learn something else that will help me have a safer, more enjoyable day! :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby soulminer » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:42 pm

It is indeed steeper than it looks :shock:

Hard lessons need to be learned, and 'every little helps' has been a good teacher. A friend once bought a similar tent and realised, in the Fisherfields, it was useless as a tent and just used it as a sleeping bag. You get what you pay for at times.
Save the Aonach for a blue sky day and savour it 8)
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby Bod » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:07 pm

Definitely good to learn the lessons, and hope you still had good fun! Always wise to know when to change your plans. As said, save this great route for a fine day! :)
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby skuk007 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:18 pm

I'd agree with others and save this for dry day, not just so you can savour it but because it's scary enough anyone.
Glad to see you turned around when you did, probably a good move. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby L-Hiking » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:01 pm

Allways the best bet to turn back and try another day. Get rid of that tent!! :lol:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland