walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Remembering Ben Vrackie, Autumn and November

Remembering Ben Vrackie, Autumn and November

Postby cheekykarma » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:58 pm

Route description: Ben Vrackie, near Pitlochry

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Vrackie

Date walked: 05/11/2011

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First of all right off the bat. This is a fine hill. Many may think, pah! Corbetts! Indeed! But Ben Vrackie shows off some tremendous views, is a great walk in, and a nice steep brisk walk up.

It was a great day out for me, and a little tick, but by far more than that, this hill means a lot more to many others too.

So.

The night before the Mountain Weather Information Service said, a fine autumn day was due. 90% clear. Wow.

I still packed the waterproofs!

But a good day it was set to be indeed. Nine amigos made our day together and we all met up in the early morning mist or the harr as it can be called. That low floating sea mist, or condensation from the trees and foliage that sits low.

So we were off into the harr and the first sighting of it was at the bridge. The forth one, not the Firth, and the fifth is yet to be built!

IMG_2676.JPG
The harr of the forth or the fourth not the fifth at the firth ?!?!

The road up the A9 was patchy and foggy. Only now and then would a break of blue sky and some hill views show themselves. We knew it would be far better on foot, today was a day of confidence.

Our chosen route was from the car park at Moulin. Just North of Pitlochry, lovely town. Worth noting here the trip up to the car park is a narrow and potholed road a little bit rough. But manageable. There is also an overflow area, so really ample parking all round.

Right at the start I was presented with a lovely tree that I really liked. It was such a contrast to the wonderful autumnal colours around us everywhere.

IMG_2677.JPG
Nice and Green

IMG_2679.JPG
the handy sign

Following the sign we were off and on our way to meet Ben Vrackie. This is a popular hill I can see why. Amazing views on a good day. Accessible. Quite quick up and down too. Also there is a path all the way.

This would be a nice neat hill in all weathers, a grey rainy dreary day it would be hard and slippy. The path is well maintained and well put in place. In the wet though I would bet it would offer some slippy incidents as it is simply a long stony staircase.

From the car park through the forest path does not take long, the trees break, and your target is in sight.

IMG_2681.JPG
Ben Vrackie ahead

Rising up the path a little was enough to give some height above all that low ground fog and enough to show it off. The area itself also opens right up and starts to give off wide views.

IMG_2685.JPG
Looking back at the low mist and fog

IMG_2682.JPG
Tree twins

IMG_2683.JPG
Black and white foggyness

IMG_2686.JPG
Power to the corbetts, or Troll fencing....

We reached Loch a Choire. Which flattens out the path and leads nicely to the foot of the steps to Ben Vrackie. A gorgeous day already and the light really showed off a deep blue of the water.

IMG_2691.JPG
Two amigos on the path to Ben Vrackie

IMG_2692.JPG
The blue waters of Loch a`Choire

Making good time we stopped off for a tea break part way up the steps. It was turning into a popular day. A few early morning starters had greeted us on their way back down. And throughout the day we ended up greeting a lot more on our way back down.

This days tea break, had quite a view.

Teabreak Panaroma.jpg
Panoramic type attempt at teabreak spot

IMG_2693.JPG
Super day looking over to the West

IMG_2704.JPG
Loch a`Choire and Meall na h-'Aodainn Moire

Tea break was over it was time to push on. It is a quick staircase up really. Tiring for me not having been out for two weeks I was quick to puff pant puff up the stairs.

Just before the top the true owners and watchers of these hills appeared.

IMG_2710.JPG
Surveyor of the land

IMG_2713.JPG
A bright day of green and browns

IMG_2714.JPG
Watchers of the hills

Last pic just before the top. Looks a bit like a lake or sea loch even out before me. This is looking south south westish over toward Pitlochry past the little reservoir. Far right of picture would be Pitlochry and looking ahead over where the A924 would be running partly under that fog.

IMG_2715.JPG
Looking south....ish Pitlochry far right

And summit time it was. Time for some of those gratuitous summit pictures.

A gorgeous day. Simply stunning. A corbett ticked.

IMG_2716.JPG
The Beinn a`ghlo group and Carn Liath

IMG_2717.JPG
Looking toward Blair Athol

IMG_2722.JPG
Viewing plate of Ben Vrackie and a fantastic day

IMG_2723.JPG
first use of shades this year!!! should maybe make it the last!

IMG_2724.JPG
Just gorgeous

We all sat at the top for a bite to eat and a cuppa. We met a nice chap and two lovely collies from Perth. The collies were fantastic dogs and the mere presence of them seemed to have the sheep line up into orderly rows.

We learned from this chap today was a special day for someone to be remembered. A group was there for Ben Vrackie was the most favourite hill of someone lost to them. They were there for a special day and that was quite touching really. And no more to say than that as it is a special place indeed, and really, they could not have been given a better day at all for it.

We left them all to their special day and set off about our return.

A final look back on the way down offered a nice pic before reaching Loch a`Choire and looking up to see the summit peak and the path up the side.

IMG_2726.JPG
A look back at a great corbett thank you Ben Vrackie

Means a lot to people this small hill. Gave many a fifth of November to remember and remember.

Fantastic day.
Last edited by cheekykarma on Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheekykarma
Mountaineer

Munros:44   Corbetts:17
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:9   

Re: Remembering Ben Vrackie, Autumn and November

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:10 pm

Looks like you had the same kind of weather as I had today,great wee walk.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Fudgie » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:27 pm

Looks like everyone had good weather this weekend. That was a good read.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby cheekykarma » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:05 pm

thanks folks yep - 5th and 6th so far seem great days for reports all round

:)
cheekykarma
Mountaineer

Munros:44   Corbetts:17
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:9   

Postby dooterbang » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:57 pm

i love this little hill, been up a few times.

The moulin inn is a great place to unwind.

Some nice photos.

Thanks for posting.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland