walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

CMD arete and Ben Nevis

CMD arete and Ben Nevis

Postby Yipyipcoyote » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:35 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Càrn Mòr Dearg Arête

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis, Càrn Mòr Dearg

Date walked: 12/09/2009

Time taken: 7 hours

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There are very few days in the the mountains of Scotland where it is as clear as it was this day and far fewer when the Ben can be seen in such glorious clarity. Having changed computers I thought these photos were lost but they turned up this week on a memory card much to my surprise and delight.
For months my brother had pestered me to do this route (he had never done a Munro) but I held off waiting for the perfect day and I think I chose well.
When we stopped for some lunch just below the summit on the south side of Carn Mor Dearg he pointed out that he didn't believe there were places like this in Scotland. Made me feel quite proud in a certain way.
There a probably very few people reading this who have not done this route so I will let the photos do the talking. Anyone who has not done it - watch the forecast and try to chose this sort of day - even if you have to wait for years it is worth it!
073.JPG
Our first view of the North face

The ideal route to get the right line for Carn Mor Dearg is to cut off from the path just as it turns in a south easterly direction about half a mile beyond the lochan. This takes you quite sharply downhill and over pathless terrain but the long traverse up CMD is far easier than the steep boring plod to be had by following the path almost to the CIC hut. I know this from experience.(yes I know - I said I would let the photos do the talking. I will shut up now)
076.JPG

078.JPG
Ben Nevis in full view. We could see people moving around on the top it was so clear.

081.JPG
First view of CMD arete.

082.JPG
Stunning views in every direction

083.JPG
The Aonachs

084.JPG
Hot and hatless

086.JPG
Geoff with 1 Munro under his belt and about to tackle the arete

087.JPG
A climbers paradise

089.JPG
Castle Ridge

090.JPG
CMD arete and the steep climb up the Ben

095.JPG
The Rookie!

096.JPG
Steall Falls

097.JPG
The view directly south

098.JPG
Looking back

100.JPG
Top of the world

102.JPG
Tower Ridge

104.JPG

106.JPG
What a fabulous day

Without doubt the best day I have ever had in the mountains.
Yipyipcoyote
Munro compleatist

Munros:249   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:32
Wainwrights:39   Islands:3

Re: CMD arete and Ben Nevis

Postby delberto » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:15 am

really nice photos, far too hard for me to try, but looks very impressive. nice one well done :D
delberto
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Yipyipcoyote » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:57 pm

It looks difficult but in good conditions it is really quite easy. Don't be put off.
Yipyipcoyote
Munro compleatist

Munros:249   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:32
Wainwrights:39   Islands:3

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:55 pm

you were not wrong - stunning clarity in those photos :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland