walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

One man, a gammy knee and his Westie

One man, a gammy knee and his Westie

Postby Jabber » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:48 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chochuill, Beinn Eunaich

Date walked: 06/11/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 1584m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Couple of Highlights for me today. This was going to my first trip out since pulling my knee. All this meant was I would be slow and possibly painful. The weather forecast was superb and I was watching this all week. Having just recently completed the Dalmally Horseshoe I went back to look at the other two peaks nestling behind. The day didn't start well I headed up the wrong path, which meant I parked a fair bit up the road from the real start at Castles Farm :? Never mind got me a nice walk along the Allt Mhoille. Meg my westie definitely doesn't like water!
Early morning at wrong gate.JPG
Finally tracking back and clambering over a barbed wire fence I started moving up the track past the farm. Made the mistake here by not turning at the cairn and heading up Eunaich first and walked round the track toward Chochuill first, not a bad option I thought to try the knee out on the less steeper of the two ascents. Meg still wasn't impressed.
Ben Cruachan in the early morning clouds.JPG

Got to the turn where the tunnel pops out the hillside from under Chochuill and this was where I made the conscious decision to climb up... Ouch Ouch and hey ho I made it the ridge after demolishing a can of red bull (really does give you wings! and some Coop fruit pastilles....turbo charger for hill ascents! View up was pretty tremendous though! 8)
Ben Eunaich.JPG
. Once on the ridge I hung to the port and went straight for Cochuill..westie still in tow and still not impressed!
Hurry up Rob.JPG
Got to the cairn on Beinn a' Chochuill just past Midday and althought the forecast was for light winds.. this wasn't quite the case and a bitter chill too!
Beinn a Chochuill Cairn.JPG
There as no stopping me now and and quick 800 ft drop and then up to Eunaich for lunch tea and stickies...Ok Egg sarnies... :) in between Meg negotiating some fairly large westie sized rocks and another cairn was reached in an hour or so.... 8)
Beinn Eunaich Cairn 2.JPG
Hate rocks.JPG
Highlight at the top included the brocken spectre and day to see my soul....
See ma soul.JPG
The route off was very straight forward up to the point where the drop seemed almost vertical although the views were superb with the sunsetting to the west.
Ben Lui from Beinn Eunaich.JPG
Sun setting on Awe.JPG

How to conclude the day...well my knee held up although I got a bollocking from the physio today :( to sum up Got lost, had a sword fight with a highland beast got lost again and fell three times coming off the steep bit....good day with nice peaks! :D
Back beast.JPG
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

Re: One man, a gammy knee and his Westie

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:54 pm

From one gammy knee to another, nice wee report Jabber,luv the pic wi the coo
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: One man, a gammy knee and his Westie

Postby Jabber » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:59 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:From one gammy knee to another, nice wee report Jabber,luv the pic wi the coo
:D Cracking Animals!
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland