walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corour to Tulloch Station via Stob Coire Easain +

Corour to Tulloch Station via Stob Coire Easain +

Postby Renate » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:33 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Coire Easain

Date walked: 07/11/2011

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 24.5 km

Ascent: 1500m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Highly recommended route, turns a slog of 2 Munros into a very memorable and adventurous day. I took the train form Tyndrum Upper at 7.57, and got out at Corour at 9.05. I walked along the west side of the railway, supposedly a track, but very very wet, despite a dry week. I recommend that you take the track east, which is out of your way, but I bet it's quicker. It was 9.44 when I crossed the river and joined this track.

Once round Loch Treig I headed straight up. I hadn't looked at the map, just set off, so ended up on the smaller knoll, then made my way to the main ridge. First summit at 13.30, second summit at 14.10. then a lovely amble down, gentle on the knees. To avoid all the bogginess at the bottom I turned east to Loch Treig, and picked up some tracks straight down.

Once on the track I changed into my trainers, as I knew it would be hard on the feet. What good planning, a real treat for feet. I was at Fersit at 16.00, then at Tulloch station at 17.30. No where to sit inside, but it would have offered shelter from the rain. there's an independent Hostel in the station buildings.

Train back at 18.09, although there is the later sleeper you could join instead. But as it's dark at 17.00, this suited perfectly.

Oh yes, did I mention it was a glorious day? Couldn't get any better. No point in giving you many pictures, they're in the other reports. Although it took me 8.5 hours, Naismiths reckons it's 7 hours. But what does he know?
Attachments
Image.jpg
The view across Loch Treig to my quarry
Image 1.jpg
The view to the corner of Loch Treig, just an hour's walk from Corour
Last edited by Renate on Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Renate
Munro compleatist

Re: Corour to Tulloch Station via Stob Coire Easain +

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:13 pm

Sounds like a great day out.

A wee bit extra planning involved but its certainly different from the usual back and return walking I normally do.

Good idea taking your trainers, bet your feet thanked you for it! :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:18 pm

Interesting... I have a similar plan hatched for the opposite two - Chno Dearg & Stob Coire Sgriodain.

Sure we could have suffered a few pics though ;)
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby icemandan » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:39 pm

Is there still a restaurant at Corrour Station? One of my unrealised plans is to do this walk in reverse followed by a pleasant recuperative meal at the Corrour restaurant and the last train back to Tulloch.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby Bod » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:55 am

Great idea using the train...cool planning! :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby Renate » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:14 pm

Pictures added after request. It's only showing off though! I think the Corour restaurant might still be there giving further options for completion. I'm also intending to do the 3 hills to the east of loch Treig this way. Will have to get a bit fitter to make it in time though.
Renate
Munro compleatist

Postby magicdin » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:28 pm

Renate wrote: I'm also intending to do the 3 hills to the east of loch Treig this way.

Walked over these three hills a few years ago (Tulloch to Corrour and train back)
Wasn't a cafe at Corrour then but a wee shop that sold beer :D
Memorable day - Tulloch Station was hottest place in Britain that day
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland