walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A cold summers day in November

A cold summers day in November

Postby Tomsie » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:19 am

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, CĂ rn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 06/11/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 25 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Was looking forward to this walk all week and the forecast was a sunny day in Braemar, this was last day of week off and didn’t want it ruined by the weather. Packed bag night before, and set alarm for 5.00am crawled out at 5.30 and was ready to leave house at 6.00am opened the door to the place covered in frost burr, so heated up the car before moving, cleared windows and ready to move.

3 Early risers.jpg

4 Start.JPG

It didn’t start getting bright until near Braemar so stopped to take few photo’s of scenery and of some deer that must have known it was Sunday that they down so low. My start point was about 5 miles up the valley, car park isn’t signposted and there’s a gap just after the steel barrier starts and your looking at Carn an Turic.

Moved off about 7.30am and it was a bit slippy as the frost was quite heavy on the ground followed the path on the left side of stream and path was good. Was about half way up when could hear the sound of deer and when I looked up there must have being at least a 100 if not more a few hundred yards away making there way across the hill, some kept moving and more of them stayed until I got closer, really need to invest in new camera for better photo’s.
15 Lochnagar.jpg

Moved on up the hill and lost the path a few times I seemed to be taking a A 2 B approach to the top, so threw in a few H’s and K’s even a Z at one stage and when looking back noticed another walker not far behind and a few deer straggling behind. Got to the top after about 1 ½ hr’s and the day that was in it was simply great blue sky’s you could see for miles. Changed into lighter clothes as there wasn’t a puff of wind up here, so had a chat with other walker, bit of fluids and onto Tolmount.
8 Carn an Tuirc.JPG

009.JPG

Headed over towards Coire Kander and tried picking up path between Cairn of Claise and Tolmount which was proving difficult so decided to just make my own way through the this bogged area, as it was so frosty it stopped me from sinking to much into water, in fact the frost and ice in this area and Tom Bhuide was very welcome made it a lot easier. The path from bottom to top of Tolmount was good and path to Tom Bhuide was very faint until nearer the top, still not a puff of wind at both tops.
012.JPG

14 Deer.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18 Tolmount.jpg

19 Tom Bhuide.jpg

21 Cairn of Claise.jpg

It was about 11.30 when making my way towards Cairn of Claise, the wind picked up a bit about half way over and it was cold so heavier jacket came out. Couldn’t get over the amount of hare’s around all day some white and some still a bit of black fur, but cant zoom in with camera and missed a lot of good photo’s. Wasn’t until I was reaching the top that I saw some more walkers, that were heading towards Tom Bhuide thinking they must be doing the 6 as well but in opposite direction to me. Got to the top and going to stop for about 15 mins here to refuel as was only taking about 5 mins at other tops, sat down at the cairn to eat they are shelters here if there’s a strong wind but it was after dying away again. Looking around and over to other tops could see a lot of people were after coming out onto the hills.
22.jpg

23 Deer.jpg

On way over to Glas Maol stayed near stoned wall and into Garbh choire could see all the deer from earlier grazing on the sunny side of corrie some just lying there more looking up at me and grunting there’s that hiker again. Took path by Caenlochan Glen and then veered right up Glas Maol bit steep of a climb and the hares seemed to be getting bigger or else it was the walk beginning to take its toll.
25.jpg

26 Glas Maol.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

The walk off here to Creag Leacach was good, grassy slope over to the ridge. It was hard on the ridge as the stones were still frosty which made it difficult, I found this very tough going and tried taking a diagonal route and was glad to have made the top. It was very different to all the other munro’s I have climbed so far. Had a chat with a couple up here and they kindly took my photo, before making my way back.
29.jpg

30 Creag Leacach.jpg

31 Shelter.jpg

Headed off the ridge which was just as difficult as going up stopped at the shelter and packed away poles. Headed off left before Glas Maol towards ski lifts and into Coire Fionn which I wouldn’t recommend in wetter weather, followed the stream back to bridge and back to car park around 15.30 which was full with cars and walkers coming off the hills. A few more sunny days like this in the coming months to keep up the fitness levels.
32 Finish.jpg

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Attachments
7 Carn an Tuirc.JPG
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland