walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Affric (1x3) +4 -1 =4

Glen Affric (1x3) +4 -1 =4

by Frogwell » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:42 am

Route description: Càrn Eige and Mam Sodhail

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Fhionnlaidh (Càrn Eige), Càrn Eige, Màm Sodhail, Toll Creagach, Tom a' Chòinich

Date walked: 07/11/2011

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Glen Affric (1x3) +4 -1 =4

Postby MarilynMunro » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:11 am

Great tale and jaw dropping photos, thanks for sharing. Must say the standard of photography on this site is immense and at times makes me wonder why I even bother posting my pics, I might as well draw piccies with some crayons :lol:
Keep em coming
Cheers :D
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Frogwell » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:07 am

Thanks for all the comments :)

BlackPanther wrote:Gorgeous pictures, brought back some old memories :D :D Mam Sodhail was my first Munro, but I was unlucky to do it in cloud...

It was actually your report of Toll Creagach and Tom a'Choinich from earlier this year that helped me decide to do this walk.

iainwatson wrote:stunning photos! what kind of camera do you use? i assume its a top end one by the look of the pics

Thanks :) A Nikon D90. Somewhere around mid-range. It really is a great camera though.

Fudgie wrote:I noticed you posted elsewhere that you use a D90. What lens do you use?

Just the standard 18-70 kit lens. Although there's nothing "just" about it, superb piece of optics!

PeteR wrote:Absolutely stunning 8) 8) 8)

Excellent report. I tried to pick out a favourite photo, but gave up as they are all just amazing 8) 8) This looks like a fantastic area to explore :D :D

I've been reading your Kintail adventures, and if you like Kintail, you're going to like Affric. They are neighbours after all. Affric has better low level views though I think.

Alastair S wrote:A most entertaining read too.

It was my stated intention to get to this area this year but I've singularly failed. I'll need to redouble my efforts next year as it all looks stunning. No doubt the good weather helps but I'm confident we'll get another good weekend next year.

BTW I keep my remote release elastic-banded to one of the legs of my tripod. I figure I only ever use it with a tripod so that it where it stays.

There are some scrambly bits that might be problematic in snow and ice, but I think this would be a stunning area for you to play with your winter photography skills.

Good idea about the remote. Although I tend to use three different tripods, so I know I'd end up leaving it tied to the one left in the hallway at home!
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:265   Corbetts:100
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:15 am

Glad I didn't rush straight to the pics (as usual), brilliant read, highly entertaining, held me to the end.

As for the pics its already been said ! They seem incredibly sharp, is this just a result straight from the camera or sharpening in Photoshop or similar. I can get similar results but only by applying sharpening and always worry that too much may not be any good printed (although never experimented).

Feel free to send me answer by message to avoid given away the secret.

If the answer is (a) then I'll have to swop my Olympus E620 for the Nikon !!!
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Frogwell » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:28 am

spiderwebb wrote:Glad I didn't rush straight to the pics (as usual), brilliant read, highly entertaining, held me to the end.

As for the pics its already been said ! They seem incredibly sharp, is this just a result straight from the camera or sharpening in Photoshop or similar. I can get similar results but only by applying sharpening and always worry that too much may not be any good printed (although never experimented).

Feel free to send me answer by message to avoid given away the secret.

If the answer is (a) then I'll have to swop my Olympus E620 for the Nikon !!!

Answer A and B. The camera and lens obviously has to be good enough to record the detail, but by the time they're re-sized down to 800 pixels wide they need sharpening. I actually tend to use the reduce noise feature in photoshop with the noise slider set to about 3 or 4 and the sharpen about 50 or 60%. The nikon can be a bit "noisy" as the ISO only goes down to 200. If you keep the RAW files then you can always go back to them for printing anyway. And always shoot in RAW format too - if you let the camera convert it to jpg it will frequently get it wrong and make it look either flat or unnatural. You will go through hard drives quickly, but the extra detail recorded in RAW is worth it I think.
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Postby Fudgie » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:32 am

Cheers for the reply. With the forecast looking favourable I'm planning to take my D300 with me on Sunday and as for the lens, I'll probably go with my Sigma 10-20mm and put a polariser on the front. It does weight a ton though :shock:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Frogwell » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:58 am

That would be the lens to take! I had the polariser and ND grad on pretty much all day. As for the weight, get yourself one of these: hands free camera harness. Best spent £18 in a long time I think!
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Postby Fudgie » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:05 am

Frogwell wrote:That would be the lens to take! I had the polariser and ND grad on pretty much all day. As for the weight, get yourself one of these: hands free camera harness. Best spent £18 in a long time I think!

That looks excellent. Thanks for that. Hopefully I get some decent light on Sunday.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:53 pm

This is by far the best report (in my humble opinion) that you have ever submitted :D

I absolutely loved it! Lo and behold, you're a very funny guy :lol: :lol:

Please tell me that you did 'copy and paste' for all of the Squiz references? (where was Mrs Squiz?)

PS your photographs could NEVER be described as SNAPS!!!!
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:16 pm

Oh yeah, forgot to say....don't understand your equation!!!!!
pollyh33
Walker

Postby Frogwell » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:31 pm

pollyh33 wrote:This is by far the best report (in my humble opinion) that you have ever submitted :D

I absolutely loved it! Lo and behold, you're a very funny guy :lol: :lol:

Please tell me that you did 'copy and paste' for all of the Squiz references? (where was Mrs Squiz?)

PS your photographs could NEVER be described as SNAPS!!!!

Thank you, thank you very much. (three guesses what I'm listening to)

Yup on the copy and paste, although the downside to that is I copied the same spelling mistake over and over again.

pollyh33 wrote:Oh yeah, forgot to say....don't understand your equation!!!!!

Really? Just what kind of accountant are you anyway? :)
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Postby Gable Gable End » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:38 pm

jesus
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:47 pm

I'm not an accountant!!!

You have to explain this one to me or I will send a team of beetles with full bladders up to Comrie!!!

Oh yeah and I don't know what you are listening to, you'll need to turn up the volume! :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Postby Frogwell » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:39 pm

You're profile says you're an accountant though.

How can you not work out who I'm listening to from that? Not that I'm listening to him anymore, I can't think of what to listen to now.

I had been planning on doing five munros, but dropped one and did another three times. It actually makes sense in my head.
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:51 pm

No its doesn't, it says I'm a biomedical scientist!!!

Kind of understand your equation now but I still get it to come to 6!

Please please tell me what you were listening to. The beetle threat still holds, only this time their colons will be full as well!!!
pollyh33
Walker

Postby Frogwell » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:06 pm

bet you checked your profile though didn't you? :) Anyway, a biomedical chemistry has got to be pretty similar to accountancy I'd have thought.

The trick to the equation is not to think about it logically. In fact, the easiest way is to ignore everything apart from the last number. I tell you, It's a mystery how I failed my maths O level. Administrative error I suspect.

Music - think white, sequinned flares, big sun glasses and then say thank you, thank you very much in a semi mid-west accent.
Last edited by Frogwell on Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

29 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland