walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgorr Ruadh, Achnashellach

Sgorr Ruadh, Achnashellach

Postby Les Stuart » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:13 pm

Route description: Sgòrr Ruadh, Achnashellach

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Ruadh

Date walked: 07/11/2011

Time taken: 5.3 hours

Distance: 16 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the forecast for the beginning of the week looking good, I drove up to Achnashellach on Sunday and stayed for two nights at Ledgowan Lodge Hotel bunkhouse. I had it to myself on the Sunday evening and on the Monday evening there were two guys up from Shrewsbury.
The bulk of the Munros that I have got left to do are in the N.W.Highlands so this was an extra bonus at this time of year to get a couple done and a lay of the land.
I arrived at the red telephone box at the beginning of the track that takes you up to Achnashellach station, cross the railway line
then follow the track taking a left turn shortly.
IMG_4987_edited-1.jpg
Fuar Tholl

IMG_4988_edited-1.jpg

IMG_4989.jpg
Beinn Liath Mhor

IMG_4990.jpg
Looking East

IMG_4993_edited-1.jpg
Creag Mainnrichean

Eventually you pick up a path that follows the east bank of the river up through the forrest then coming onto more open hillside and at about 370m you pick a path going off to the left, cross the river and headed up to the bealach. This was where I had a problem. I could not find the path that would take me north to the summit. I worked my way across past some lochans and Loch Bhealaich Mhoir. Still could not pick up the path to take me to the summit, so worked my way up the steep slope until I reached the summit ridge opposite a small Lochan at 904m. Turned left to go up the ridge to the summit cairn.
IMG_4996.jpg
Summit

IMG_4997.jpg
Summit Cairn

It was hard to believe that it was early November as the views were excellent and could see for miles. Stayed there for about 30 minutes having lunch and taking photos.
IMG_4998.jpg
Torridon

IMG_4999_edited-1.jpg

IMG_5000_edited-1.jpg

IMG_5002_edited-1.jpg

IMG_5003_edited-1.jpg
Skye in the distance

I took the same route of ascent for the decent and still taking photos.
IMG_5004_edited-1.jpg

IMG_4995_edited-1.jpg

IMG_5007_edited-1.jpg

On the road down from the summit ridge I picked up the path for the last quarter of the steep slope which took me too the track just below the bealach though it is difficult to see. Any how was a great day out in superb conditions.
Les Stuart

Munros:226   Corbetts:6

Re: Sgorr Ruadh, Achnashellach

Postby kev_russ » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:56 pm

Stunning pics Les :thumbup:
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Yipyipcoyote » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:43 pm

Great report. Love the pics. Hope the weather keeps for next week.
Yipyipcoyote
Munro compleatist

Munros:249   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:32
Wainwrights:39   Islands:3

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:38 pm

What a day :) . Cheers for sharing :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland