walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Maol Chean-dearg

Maol Chean-dearg

Postby Les Stuart » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:40 pm

Munros included on this walk: Maol Chean-dearg

Date walked: 08/11/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 16 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my second day walking in Glen Carron and early in the morning I drove down to Coulags. Parked the car in the lay by and walked back to pick the path that had the sign saying Glen Torridon.
IMG_5010_edited-1.jpg

Through the gate and followed the path along the side of Fionn-abhainn and in about 2km you cross over to the west side of the water and had a view of Sgorr Ruadh the hill that I did yesterday.
IMG_5011_edited-1.jpg
Sgorr Ruadh

Further along the track there is a large rock with two plaques on it. I meant to have a look on the road back, but forgot.
IMG_5012.jpg

Then the bothy appeared though looking a bit lopsided in my photo.
IMG_5013_edited-1.jpg
Bothy

About 1km past the bothy I picked up the path that goes to the left to take you up to the bealach with the top of Maol Chean-dearg to the right.
IMG_5014_edited-1.jpg

IMG_5015_edited-1.jpg
Maol Chean-dearg

On my left is Meall nan Ceapairean.
IMG_5016_edited-1.jpg
Meal nan Ceapairean

On reaching the bealach I sat and had a drink and took in the view across to An Ruadh-stac which has a great cliff falling down to the small loch.
IMG_5026_edited-1.jpg
An Ruadh-stac

After ten minutes I set off up the quartzite scree then along a flatter area before the last pull up hill over sandstone boulders to the summit.
IMG_5018_edited-1.jpg
Maol Chean-dearg summit

The same as the previous day, the weather was excellent though there was more of a chill and had to put on a leightweight fleece and jacket. Had lunch and again took photos before setting off back down.
IMG_5019.jpg

IMG_5020_edited-1.jpg

IMG_5021_edited-1.jpg

IMG_5022.jpg
Beinn Liath Mhor and Sgorr Ruadh

IMG_5024_edited-1.jpg
Loch an Eoin

I took the same route back that I came, down the rocky path to the bealach then down to the path that would take me back to the car.
IMG_5025_edited-1.jpg

Across the bridge to the east bank
IMG_5030.jpg

On the road home I stopped at the Glengarry viewpoint to make a phone call home and the sun was about to set and thought it was a good photo opportunity.
IMG_5031.jpg
Glengarry

Another good day on the hills though on both days I did not see any wildlife.
Les Stuart

Munros:226   Corbetts:6

Re: Maol Chean-dearg

Postby kev_russ » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:58 pm

cracking pics :)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Maol Chean-dearg

Postby nzt2011 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:22 pm

My favourite walk so far, nicer day you had for it than myself, but was nice and easy on the way out and in. Seem to remember someone had scratched something on the plaque on the stone...cant remember what, but put it this way I was a bit aghast someone could do that!
nzt2011
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:8

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland