walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

BUACHAILLE ETIVE MOR -mountains, frost, sunshine

BUACHAILLE ETIVE MOR -mountains, frost, sunshine

Postby blueyed » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:28 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 06/11/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 13 km

25 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

hi there,
just a short report on my trip to glencoe last weekend.

some time ago i started to REALLY want to walk the ridge of buachaille etive mor. the thing was that i havent been to the hills for few months and wasnt sure whether tackle that one or just go for something smaller and shorter as a warm up first. but i couldnt get buachaille etive mor out of my head for good few days and i finaly decided to that one.
first time ever i had to get up at 4am to go to the hills and first time i wanted to drive and tackle 4 summits all by myself, i mean without my fellow-walker partner.

getting up wasnt an easy one, but guess what - i managed :) and was ready to leave within half an hour.

drive from edi to glencoe usually takes about 2.5hrs in my wee corsa, this time the conditions on M9 were really bad -never seen such mist and fog, i crawled 40mph, pathetic! as i passed callander there was hardly any mist left for the rest of the drive, also the day was breaking, first just the shapes of hills then some greyish colours.
i stopped at the bridge of orchy view point to admire mists and then at rannoch moor - the mists and first light were just breathtaking.

anyway, i arrived to glencoe about 6.30, had a GOOD idea to leave the car at the car park where the track actually finishes (and saved myself some additional walking when i guessed i will be knackered) :) then i got back to the lagangarbh car park and started the hillwalking day :)

sunrise was just awesome, the first rays of light combined with frost were just amazing.

i just couldnt stop myself from taking pictures, one after one and then more :)

i wasnt sure what to expect from the track up the col. i read about horrible loose scree, but to be honest with you, the stage which i really hated was this sandy path just at the very beginning, as the sand just kept escaping from underneath my boots and every time i wanted to be smart and stepped on the rock or a stone it was like a breakdancing because it was all iced all over :)

path goes more less this way:

and the 'loose scree' stage, which by the way isnt really that bad and i found it a pretty nice and easy walker

and some views to frosty lagangarbh

and here

just before reaching the col there is a little scrabmling (optional) as you can choose to follow the path (right) or just scramble ahead on the right edge of the 'big black gap' or you can actually go via 'big black gap' :)

the big black gap

whichever way you choose you're very likely to be just a few moments from reaching the col. from here take left to walk towards stob dearg summit. i made the col within 2 hrs.

from the col to stob dearg. the walk takes about 20-30 mins

the views on this stage start to be just amazing and i remember i didnt really bother to pack my camera back to the rucksack anymore

with stob dearg shadow

lagangarbh

summit of stob dearg and rannoch moor

summit, funny enough, the whole day i was meeting the same bunch of people on every summit :)

and looking back towards the ridge

rannoch moor from stob dearg. amazing how flat it is just before being so nice and mountainy :)

i was also amazed by the fact that visibility was perfect and from every point of the ridge i was able to see as far as schiehallion :) awesome!

the ben

the glencoe mates

this is just so great, for so many years of my hillwalking i never tried glencoe and finally this year i visited this place 4 times (just time after time) and i must say that glensoe mountains are my personal mekka :)
this truly is a magical place

ok, enough of emotional sh**t :)

getting down from stob dearg and then to stob na doire and looking back and around i was just more and more amazed

next stage -stob na doire ascent is about 20mins. nothing much to say about this summit, maybe just that the descent towards stob coire altruim is a steep one and at this stage i actually took out my pole just to give my knees some relief.

from stob na doire towards stob coire altruim and the second munro of the day -stob na broige (shy one) timewise, i walked stob coire altruim and stob na broige in 30 mins

back to stob na doire (doesnt it remind you of a squid head?)

and towards stob na broige

from the last two summits i had awesome views although weather got wee bit worse and i started feeling wind getting thru to me

towards glen etive

stob na broige summit shelter

going down, back to the path getting me to lairig gartain, this time creise appeared in all its glory

and i had a great moment when the sunlight tried to get thru the clouds

the path down to lairig gartain is known to be very steep, thats what munro book says anyway (therefore i expected something as rough as getting down to lost valley), i was pleasantly surprised and didnt find it too steep nor too challeging. the problem were those big rock slabs (about half way down) which were pretty plain, wet and large. i had some problems here and actually got my adrenaline level risen ..slightly :) actually i thought to myself that 'never again blah blah blah..'
the path goes more less here (time: about 1 hr to lairig gartain)

and when i finally reached lairig gartain i was relieved :) looks so 'innocent' doesnt it? killer moment for me, definitely

the way back to the car park via lairig gartain was a nice one (approx 20min). the sun came out just between stob coire altruim and stob dubh and the sunset light was great and warm. i read that the path used to be boggy and wet, well it still was pretty wet but now it is a proper path, just perfect for making my knees and legs relaxed after those horrible slabs!

towards the car park

the path

just to sum up, the day was great, and although i said to myself 'never again' after those bloo**dy slabs, i cant actually wait to come back. it was a 7hrs walk for me. i think of myself as a very lucky person to see sunrise and sunset on the same 'track', that was an experience to me, the one i will try to repeat ASAP.
very happy and thinking of doing it in winter with snow and all the glamour :)

guys, if you prefer LESS TALKING AND MORE PICTURES just click here :)
http://around-scotland.blogspot.com/2011/11/buachaille-etive-mor-stob-dearg-stob-na.html

enjoy :)
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Re: BUACHAILLE ETIVE MOR -mountains, frost, sunshine

Postby dooterbang » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:34 pm

cracking photos :)

Looks a great day out.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Gavin99 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:48 pm

Very nice , that sunlight photo is a beauty , well worth the early rise !
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:77   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby Malckyb » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:15 pm

Fab pics, really wanna do this walk,looks awesome. :)
Malckyb
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   

Postby Fudgie » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:20 pm

The picture with the sunlight trying to get through the clouds is the pick of the bunch.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby cheekykarma » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:23 am

stunning pics and great wee report -
fantastic day - they do exist!

:)
cheekykarma
Mountaineer

Munros:44   Corbetts:17
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:9   

Postby Milesy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:02 am

Love the photos.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby Redrock » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:20 am

You've got some great pictures there, blueyed, especially those early morning shots! :D The early rise paid off!! :lol:
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Clach Liath » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:28 am

Love the enthusiasm :thumbup:
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:15 pm

Great stuff Ela!

Just seen your Glencoe photo on Facebook :D

So pleased that you treated us to more on WH- fab! :D :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby blueyed » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:21 pm

anytime guys :)
as one week passed i'm still hyper after this walk :) it was an absolutely wonderful day :)
amazing, how one good day out can charge your batteries :)
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby Scotlandinfo » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:00 pm

Stunning pics and report :D

And what a great weather!!

Cheers
Ron
Scotlandinfo
Mountaineer

Postby sdsmart » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:13 pm

Great photos! :D
sdsmart
Mountaineer

Munros:262   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby skuk007 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:27 pm

Great photos blueyed, hope you got plenty of wall space at home for these, shame to hide them away on a hard drive.
Early rise paid dividends. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby colgregg » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:37 pm

Superb report and pics to match. Seems like it was one of those perfect days we dream of having on the hills.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

25 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland