walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Mhanach - first dry munro!

Beinn Mhanach - first dry munro!

Postby fipriestley » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:32 pm

Route description: Beinn Mhanach

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Mhanach

Date walked: 05/11/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 26 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started from Bridge of Orchy side (layby on A82), fair treck to reach this one but the many river crossings make for an interesting one :lol: Ascent was fairly straight forward although no paths - this was my first munro in clear, dry weather!

From the summit we continued on rather than heading straight back again, to find the wee house that has stones shaped like people, which are placed out each summer and kept inside for the winter (as an offering to the gods/ward off spirits??). I'll need to do more research on this one as I've not seen it on on-line maps or found in searches - would help if I could remember what it was called rather than just 'old mans house'! Fascinating though, on hearing the story from fellow walkers (who had a map that marked it) I expected to see a house but it's a tiny stone fort just big enough for the stone 'people'.. who were tucked away for the winter when we got there.

Passed lots of deer on the return trip, over boggy ground, and back round to the landrover track that we started on, to pick up all the river crossings on the way back :)
Attachments
IMAG0253a.jpg
starting point
IMAG0266.jpg
my first munro summit not in a cloud!
IMAG0273.jpg
descent to wee house (could easily be missed if you don't know it's there!)
IMAG0277.jpg
wee house
IMAG0283.jpg
deer on hill side (not just brown dots!)
IMAG0287.jpg
route back
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Beinn Mhanach - first dry munro!

Postby Torridon_snails » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:17 pm

Very nice report, particularly the story about the stones and the house. Glad you got a good day for it. See you've done 12 and this is the first dry one?! We're quite nesh and tend not to go high unless the forecast is quite good - although we've done a few tops in cloud and rain. Tend to stay out and about lower down otherwise, but admire people who can do Munros in all weathers...

All the best,

Daniel and Clare.
Torridon_snails
Hill Bagger

Munros:22   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:2   

Postby fipriestley » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:19 am

Thanks! I'm really enjoying getting out in the hills, such a rush beating the weather, and I've now had 3 weeks in a row with views from the tops (touching wood!) - long may it continue! :)
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Graeme D » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:48 pm

Certainly a very interesting take on this hill, including the start which looks like it was just north of Tyndrum??? Have to admit I'd never heard about the wee house with the wee stone people. I though that sort of thing only happened on the CBeebies channel! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:39 pm

Bheinn Mhannach - the hill of the Monk ... i thin k that is something to do with your wee house and its people :D

Nice one :)
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby rockhopper » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:53 pm

It's certainly great when you get a dry day and nice weather - a long walk but well worth it. I'd also not heard of these stones either - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby quoman » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:08 am

Still to do this one a think you cross the river about 20 time there and back? nice you're getting the good weather :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland